Brake problems with D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davo

Reaction score
gday all

Has anyone had brake problems with a D40. I took my ute in for it's first 10,000 service today and asked the mechanic to check the front brakes because of the amount of brake dust on the rims. He said the rotors have all ready started to wear. He reckons at this rate they will crap themselves pretty quick. He also stated the chances of nissan coming to the party was next to nil . I had a D22 for 3.5 years and did'nt touch the brakes and were still fine when i sold it.

cheers dave

Change pads

I had the same problem with mine . Ended up waiting for Bendex to release after market ones. Had rotors machined and then put in the new pads. Have done about 18000 km so far with no sign of wear and almost no dust

Cheers Dave:)

Yes there is a problem with the D40 brake package, but don't ever expect Nissan to admit to it.. I have clocked 20tho km in 12 months and I all ready have a massive amount off wear on the rotors.....

The problem is cause by the friction material used on the pads. There a high metallic compound,, which is great for slowing you down or emergency braking, (I don't think any one can complain about the stopping performance off the 40 brakes)...
But having brakes that work so effectively on a big rig, your going to get a significant amount off wear on the rotors....

When mine are up for replacement, I wont be going Genuine, as it is a $700 exercise, Stuff that....
I be getting a set off DBA Rotors, and Bendix pads...... $350
Apparently Bendix have a new compound which offers same Hi-metallic performance characteristic, and is low abrasive to the rotor....

Nissan definately dropped the ball when it came to the brakes on thr D40 and R51
I diced mine at 14k and went to CompFriction and they fitted me out with DBA drilled and slotted with pads from Hawke Racing in the US specially modded to suit the truck. Stops well and no dust .

NavaraBrakes005.jpg

Nissan definately dropped the ball when it came to the brakes on thr D40 and R51
I diced mine at 14k and went to CompFriction and they fitted me out with DBA drilled and slotted with pads from Hawke Racing in the US specially modded to suit the truck. Stops well and no dust .

NavaraBrakes005.jpg

XS DBA rotors I would imagine cost about $200 per rotor... Not sure on the Hawk pads, but I would thing you would have change from $150..... Install them yourself, brakes are the simplest mechanical item to work on

Myself I will just be getting standard DBA's rotors and there' a new compound made by Bendix that are suppose to be very good on 4x4's.... If there no good, I good back to QFM pads.....

Brake pads were $130 Aus from the US but that was a while ago so that would be a higher price. $60 to Comprfriction to get them modded to fit.
Rotors are around the $200 mark so your not going to get any change from $600 for parts. Installation was about 20 mins per side and zero dust since.

I have a brand new navara D40 with only 4500km's on it and the dust on the front wheels is unbelievable. I had an old Rodeo mind 2 wheel drive version but never went through brake pads and I do about 35-45000km's a year.
Might have to check the Bendix pads out myself.
Thanks

Just remember your rotors are soft as well.
I had 14k on mine when I installed the DBA and already they had grooved up and that was all stock , pads included and my trucks ins the manual

I have a 2006 d40 which has done 72000km and still has original front rotors and pads. Approx 15000 of this has been towing a caravan, which is hard on brakes.
One problem that the d40 has, along with Hilux,Dmax and other like vehicles,is they have drum brakes on the rear, and these are restricted by a load apportioning valve that only allows full braking with a full load onboard. The way to make these brakes work as they should is to adjust apportioning valve to make it work as if fully loaded. The load apportioning valve is behind the rear axle on rh side and attached to the rear axle and valve by a spring, slacken the two nuts on the mounting bracket and tighten spring as far as possible, this should enhance your braking ability and save the front brakes from doing all of the work. mal

Last edited:
My mate brought his D40 around to my place one day complaining of a knocking when he put the brakes on. He tows a trailer every day [builder] and i thought yeh it will just be some warped discs.
Pulled the front wheels off to find one side had almost gone thru to the vanes of the rotor and you could see the cracks around them :big_smile: The other side had a perfect brake pad size wear mark all the way round that was approx. 3mm deep.
This was at 12000km old and the 10k service was done just before hand where the local nissan dealer marked the brakes as OK and 80% remaining HAHA!
Replaced the rotors with aftermarket ones and its up to ~80k no problems

Mine is in for 60000 km sevice today,nissan just rang me and said i need new rotors and pads,over $600 for genuine and $500 for aftermarket.I reckon i can do cheaper than that so i will get some more quotes.
Anyone got any recomendations for brake workshops in s/e melbourne?

spare rotors and pads

I wasn't aware of some of the issues the D40's have with the brakes when I swapped over to DB rotors and Bendix pads. I did so because I was going on a 4 week outback trip and I was going to be fully laden so I just figured that it might be a good idea to upgrade the brakes.
So I now have the original rotors and pads sitting in my garage, they have done approx 10, 000KM, 80% freeway driving.
I would like to sell them to finance the purchase of a tow bar.

If anybody is interested let me know.
I am in Berowra in Sydney.

Hi Tomo ,
If you are after a Factory Nissan Towbar I have one for sale.
I put a kaymar rear bar on so I have no use for the original.
See the for sale section.
Cheers Nisnav40

brakes stories... original set with rotors lasted me 38,000k upgraded to RDA slotted front rotors with the bendix 4x4 brake pads... 68,000ks later i hear metal on metal well there was a reason for that as I took the the pads out and looked i only wore out one side completely and there was an uneven wear on it the other side well it still had some meat left and wore in correctly... as i was replacing the pads i have gone to heavy duty brakes from bendix now i noticed that on the back of a pad there was INNER and OUTER f*#! me... the side that was buggered was the side that i got the pads the wrong way around... well lets say i have learned something i have put these ones in as im heavy on my brakes anyway im curious how long these will last... id like to ask if your brakes on the d40 feel like a spounge or not.. i think i may need to bleed them as i only pushed back the pistons in the calipers to change the brakes since new.

Not sure if they are available, but it could be worth pricing the Thai sourced brakes, my rotors and pads have virtually no wear after 32000k's and I have minimal dust on my rims. Other kingcab owners have noticed this too, I'm guessing the new ST will have the same pad/rotor combination.

this was in the workshop a couple of months ago, 20,000kms. discs get warranty.

Attachments

• d40 rotor.jpg
    d40 rotor.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 176
Back