D40 2 inch body lift write up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxy

Reaction score
G,day guys thought id finally get around to doing a write up on my body lift which will hopefully assist people that are wanting to do it themselves as i believe working on your own car, rather than paying some one to do it is way better as you start to understand how your car works and what parts are hiding where. I did it on my own in about 5 hours in townsville humidity(not fun).However i did my mates the other day in 2 hours,the first time i spent lots of time looking at what was going t effect the lift,what i might have to modify . It is fairly easy and all the tools i used when doing my body lift were:

2006 D40 STX Dual Cab

1x trolley jack (bigger you have the better i had to use blocks of timber to get the height

2x jack stands

1x well equipped socket set i have a bahco set that is awesome

1x4inch grinder

These are my blocks all professionally machined alloy grade 616 with grade

STEP 1: First thing i did was jack both front tyres up and place them on jack stands for ease of working,and remove all the small plastic bits,bash plate and nudge bar (if fitted) from the bumper

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

good view of the inner gaurd

STEP 2:Removed both inner guards i have placed red dots where some of the screws and plastic clips are but removing it is self explanatory look for the screws undo them.It all comes out as one piece once loose, Exposing a lot more room to see everything and move

some positions of screws i could remember not all

A picture of the small black plugs u will find holding the inner guard on. flat head screwdriver gets them out

STEP 3: I then removed the engine cover (there is 2x 10ml bolt on top it then slides forward),on either side of the steel stabiliser bar behind the bumper is 2 foam spacer remove these as they will give just that little bit of extra room for the bumper to come up(PICTURED),also there is a small black wire at above the uca (think its the ABS wire) just unclip it from the body (PICTURED).Also remove bottom half of the engine shroud(PICTURED)

Picture of the small half circle you need to make for the cover to clear the shroud

continued

1.standard body mount
2.Foam spacers

wire clip need to take off

bottom of fan shroud
STEP 4
My Navara was fitted with the factory Nudge bar which the mounts go through to the chassis to over come the problem of the bumper getting stuck on the mounts, i cut 2 small slices in the bumper below the mounts with a 4 inch grinder (Pictured).Also at this stage i noticed the small adjustment bolt on my steering arm which i decided to loosen to allow for any movement it may need(Pictured).in the end it didnt move at all.
nudgemounts.jpg

By boxy525 at 2011-12-23
Excuse the rough cuts the bumper went a week later lol so i didn't care much

continued

steering bolt i loosend

STEP 5:Next i decided to do the passenger side first so i removed all bolts from the passenger side and loosened all bolt on drivers side to there max so i still had something for the body to center on should something go wrong being by myself.

STEP 6:Select a suitable jacking point under the cab i picked a strong point just underneath the front doors and i put a piece of timber between the jack and the cab to spread the load and stop metal to metal contact.once i had the cab at the correct height i put all the blocks in if you are having trouble getting your thread started the actual thread on the cab moves around so you can move it with your finger to get it more in line with the bolt.

front mount

middle mount
STEP 7: only do these bolts up a small amount so they are still loose and you can still get movement to allow you to line up the driver side holes,now remove the jack from passenger side and repeat from same jacking point on the drivers side
NOTE: i found on my spain built D40 and my mates thai built D40 that the drivers side d40 didnt lift as easily i could never find y i looked at everything,everywhere no wires, or pipe but i found if i you jack the cab up and the chassis wants to go with it, stand on the disc and that will give you the clearance.

STEP 8: TUB- Tub is easy remove all four bolts keep the washers that come off as i put those back on unless u have a kit that supplies new washers i didnt bother because it was my own kit,all i did was then get a mate to lift one side place blocks in then the same the other side,place bolts in and just adjust the tub as needed
NOTE: front passenger side mount of the tub has a small crush tube that sticks down about 10 -15 ml so one of my blocks was machined with a 3/4 hole one side to allow the crush tube to sit down inside the block.

STEP 9: Go Round now tighten all Body Mount Bolts and the steering arm bolt if you loosened it.

STEP 10: Refurbish all components removed nudge bar,inner guards, bash plate will fit make sure you retain the crush tubes and bolts that come off it so u can put it back on.refit modified engine cover

everything back on not quite lowered to the ground yet
I dont have any pics of doing the tub.

I also forgot to mention earlier -inside the cab ,around the gearstick there is a white fiberglassy sort of material i just cut that at the back so it did not impede the movement of the gearstick just as a precaution

hope u find this helpful any questions qive us yell

cheers boxy

nice work mate, so this is legal and there aren't any problems with Queensland Transport? i live in cairns and was thinking of doin it to my D40.

What Ryno said ^^^ keen to do it as well, whats the total cost? ive seen someone advertising the dual cab body lift for $400... AND can you run 33s with 2" body & 2" suspension?

What Ryno said ^^^ keen to do it as well, whats the total cost? ive seen someone advertising the dual cab body lift for $400... AND can you run 33s with 2" body & 2" suspension?

hey mate yeah total cost to me was about $160 as my mate is an engineer and machines all the blocks up out of aero grade alloy and i sourced the bolts ive put a couple of kits together for mates aswell very happy with it so far,yep sure can just got to heat gun the gaurd at the bottom and bit of bending not much though (20mm) maybe.

Awesome lift!!!!

Thanks for the post, its little things like this that make life a lot easier.

Hows the dual carrier coming along? would love to see pics of that.

Awesome lift!!!!

Thanks for the post, its little things like this that make life a lot easier.

Hows the dual carrier coming along? would love to see pics of that.
havent started with that project yet mate ive been concentrating on all the necessary items for the cape trip in july ,made the roofrack and canopy rails an almot finished my draws is all in my build thread

With Body kits can you have the mod plate guys inspect it or does it have to be the Qld transport. Is your mate with Qld transport?
Al

hey boxy prob a stupid question but coming from someone who knows little ...

do i have loosen or totally undo steering bolt ?
also when u say remove the engine shroud the bottom half do i have to cut that off and leave it off or dose it come off like that ? and do i put it but on once i have done the lift or dose it have to stay off ??

sorry for all the questions but i am planing on doing by myself and the more info the better for me to wrap my head around it lol cheers

Latest posts

Back