Diesel at the pump still made from oil ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Just wondering as the price never moves.

Oil goes up and down like a yoyo, but diesel price does not change.

They do here, they go up and up, last weekend diesel was 12c dearer than unleaded around here.

Ill have a look at the usual servo I go to tonight.

Oh and they go up.

Id love to know the horseshit excuse the Petrol Commisioner has about it.

Can this wanker be fired already. I reckon he goes to work and sleeps.

it goes all over the show here :( i think $1.60 at the mo.

you guys might get some of the coal diesel, they do make diesel out of coal. bit like how petrol made from gas.......crappy stuff.

isnt diesel a "by product" from oil refining process ??
they just keep screwing us
and we keep letting them
:hmmmm:

Our's would be the dearest to make, according to our goverment who want it high in price.

More tax that way.

I think they want every vehicle on the road IFS and IRS to.

That way more money can be syphoned and the roads dont have to be so good.

The newer suspension makes up for our shit roads.

isnt diesel a "by product" from oil refining process ??
they just keep screwing us
and we keep letting them
:hmmmm:

From what I am told, most of the diesel brought into this country is for mining.

Which I find hard to believe. Head out West like we did at the Muster and all you see is Semi-trailers and diesel utes.

Farmers rely on diesel.

The mines only pay like 20 cents a litre so I hear as they get all the tax back on there fuel as they are registered as Primary producers or something like that.

Plus they order like 5 million litres at a time.

i heard diesel is heaps cheaper to make but has alot more tax on it making it really expensive

Diesel here in Cairns consistantley 10~12 c.p.l more than ulp. For the last year or so. Go down the road 50k it drops. In Townsville last weekend and 9~10c.p.l. cheaper.
Now thats gotta be price gouging.:rant:

Dave said:
From what I am told, most of the diesel brought into this country is for mining.

Which I find hard to believe. Head out West like we did at the Muster and all you see is Semi-trailers and diesel utes.

Farmers rely on diesel.

Hey Dave, how much diesel do you think our mine uses in ONE day??

About 85,000 ltrs of diesel in 24hrs, imagine this if they gave me 1,000 ltr and I used 100 a week it would last me 10 weeks. A 1,000 ltr in a dump truck will last 12 hrs.

Last edited:
I work in a power station and when we have the igniters in which run on diesel then we burn even more then that in 24hrs

Diesel here in Cairns consistantley 10~12 c.p.l more than ulp. For the last year or so. Go down the road 50k it drops. In Townsville last weekend and 9~10c.p.l. cheaper.
Now thats gotta be price gouging.:rant:

It's similar here is Gippsland and it's for all fuels but the main difference here is that we are only 90 mins from the city. In the middle of Gippsland prices are nearly always 5-10c dearer than Melbourne price, originally they started blaming "transportation" as the reason for the hike but then when people started watching fuel prices a bit closer and working it out they relaised that excuse would wash, especially not when East Gippsland prices were often cheaper than Melbourne and traveling was double that to get to this area. The fuel companies quickly changed their tact and then started saying the higher price was due to demand, and only consumer demand too not industry.

The ACCC might well be toothless and wont stop price gouging but the arsehole fuel companies continually come up with new excuses (even lame ones) and as long as those excuses fit a legal alibi then prices will never be reasonable.

Although demand is obviously alot higher which means cheaper pricing it's interesting to read how many yanks are concerned about the high cost for fuels and looking at ways to slow down usage before the prices skyrocket and they are paying around 95c a litre at the moment.

Because of diesel prices I have thought about buying a petrol vehicle...More power,less services and cheaper fuel....I don't know if the newer petrols use much more fuel than diesels...

Cheers...Sparra

It was reported a number of years ago that there were few cars on the road in Australia using diesel therefore due to low demand & competition, the price was higher. Since then the percentage of diesel vehicles in Australia has significantly increased however this does not appear to have had any effect on pricing.

My father drove an excavator for most of his working life & said diesel was always cheaper than petrol yet demand at that time for diesel would have been quite low.

I had also heard it reported that the type of crude oil (heavy) is the same as that used in the aviation industry for fuel. Petrol was said to be refined from lighter grade crude. Therefore it is the demand caused by the aviation industry which limits available supply to the public & results in higher pricing for diesel.

There seems to be lots of excuses but whichever way you cut it, there is the distinct smell of BS.

Anyway it's one of the things to consider before buying a diesel vehicle.

Because of diesel prices I have thought about buying a petrol vehicle...More power,less services and cheaper fuel....I don't know if the newer petrols use much more fuel than diesels...

Servicing for me still happens as often as if it was a petrol, cost is not an issue because I don't pay for anything but parts and dearer fuel but heaps better economy means I'm still in front, but everyone is different and I wouldn't buy a petrol in todays climate.

What is your standard diesel price? Up here it tends to remain pretty well constant for diesel, normally about 152.9, or 154.9 for "premium" diesel.

I dunno what ours is right now, I've driven about 15ks since Chrissie :big_smile: but before Chrissie it was between 152.9 and 157.9 depending on the servo. It went up about 5 days before Chrissie just when the news reports said there was likely to be no rise until Chrissie day due to the fuel cycle.

This is something that I found on the net:

What are "heavy" crude and "light" crude?
Light crude is defined as having a high specific gravity. This classification of oil is easier to pump, transport and refine into high value products like petrol, diesel and jet fuel. Because of this, it tends to be more expensive.

Heavy Crude usually contain high concentrations of sulphur and several metals, particularly nickel and vanadium, and high amount of wax.
These are the properties that make them difficult to pump out of the ground or through a pipeline and interfere with refining. These properties also present serious environmental challenges.
Heavy oil can be broken into the smaller petrol molecules, through the use of a "catalytic cracker", but this process uses energy and the resulting petrol is thus more expensive. That cost is offset by the cheaper cost per barrel of the heavy crude.

This may be BS too but certainly suggests the claim that both diesel & aviation fuel is refined from heavy crude is not likely to be correct.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back