Gear box service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsta

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1993 2.7 diesel 4x4 . What is the tool called you use to undo the gear box drain plugs . Its not a nut but a sqaure looking thing .

Also what oil should i use.

Reason for doing this is third gear has a slight whine in it so im thinking maybe the oil is over due and see if that makes a difference

Any information will help :cheers!:

No idea what the tool is called, it's the same drain plug as used on a Subaru. I vaguely remember a thread about this exact thing. Actually, do a search for "Subaru" on the forum, there should only be a few hits, the answer will be in there.

And I just use a 1/2inch socket wrench to undo mine.

Yep did that with the socket wrench worked well just cant get the bottom one undone now so wil try later still confused at why i would get a slight whine in third and no other gear as when i undid the filler nut the oil was pretty clean that come out little grey but clean

Manual . what i noticed today when i was towing my boat
the sound only comes when ya change from second to third doesnt do it when coming back through gears sounds like the old cruisers did back in the 70

if its same as a uk 2.7 td terrano they had prob with g/box,aparently a 90 degree elbow fitting of oil fired central heatin has same thread as box and filler plug allowing extra oil in box solving the fault,maybe to late for your box if its getting bad

Not sure if its the same box or not as the uk terrano im gunner slip to the meachnic and see what he thinks and then ill take it from there still runs fine and is some in all the changes but that sound

aparently a 90 degree elbow fitting of oil fired central heatin has same thread as box and filler plug allowing extra oil in box solving the fault

Hahaha, clever fix.

Yeah same box, but there were minor changes year to year to try and make the box stronger.

Manual . what i noticed today when i was towing my boat
the sound only comes when ya change from second to third doesnt do it when coming back through gears sounds like the old cruisers did back in the 70

sound to me, and only by the comments here and that its not noisy on 'coast',
that its possible that the drive side of the 3rd gear gear teeth are worn/pitted and or the corresponding gear on the laygear

sound to me, and only by the comments here and that its not noisy on 'coast',
that its possible that the drive side of the 3rd gear gear teeth are worn/pitted and or the corresponding gear on the laygear

so is it a costly repair are they able to work on each gear or they got to redo the hole box

so is it a costly repair are they able to work on each gear or they got to redo the hole box

Replacement gears won't be cheap.

It's not compulsary to do more than just replace the gearset in question

However

With gearboxes there's so much labour to pull it out (esp. from a torsion bar Navara) it becomes a matter of "might as well"...

The gearbox is out, so might as well...
replace all the seals and bearings
replace the clutch
replace the rear main seal

Et cetera.

Well done a full service on the box and there was some shavings in there whine has gone to a dull noise so oil change help. But i will have to start to save up for a replacement not sure if its wroth risking a second hand one but i will see how the dollars go
If anyone within the sunny coast area has one they want to part with please PM me or let me know if you here of one

Thank God the ZD30's etc got the FSR30 over the KA, TD box.

Mate those TD27 boxes aren't known for there strength, how many km's ?

260000 but the box was replaced at the 170000 mark so . Im hoping it last a fair bit longer then the 90000 its done so far even tho there is a whine the mechnic tells me its nothing major that i could drive it like that for ages before anything major happens so at this stage i got to give it some time with the new oil and conditioner and make a call from there if it gets worse i think

260000 but the box was replaced at the 170000 mark so . Im hoping it last a fair bit longer then the 90000 its done so far even tho there is a whine the mechnic tells me its nothing major that i could drive it like that for ages before anything major happens so at this stage i got to give it some time with the new oil and conditioner and make a call from there if it gets worse i think

My gearbox started making noise about 15 months ago. Still going, although noise is getting worse. When I get time, I've got a second hand one to put in.

These boxes really are not suited to towing as it really brings out their inherent weakness. For some reason I remember a figure of $2500 to rebuild a gearbox for a D21. May be fact or fiction but its ringing some bells for me.

If that is the case maybe a conversion to a later model QD32 complete with transmission and transfer case may be a better solution if you wish to continue towing. More power and a much better gearbox for probably around the same cost as just rebuilding a gearbox that may not be up to the job anyway....

Back