Urgent help required.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubamurph

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My power steering rack has been leaking and I decided to replace it. Main problem is
that I cannot get the rack out after disconnecting it. There does not appear to be
enough space to slide it out.

Has anyone removed their rack or seen it done? Just need some pointers on how to
extract it. If I can't get it out as is it looks like I will have to refit it and get a mechanic
to do the job. Not set up to do a major strip down.

Regards Murph

Looks like no one has replaced a steering rack.

Managed to sort it myself in daylight. Had to remove the drivers side
damper and spring and drop the front diff.

Murph

Haha, looks like you got it sorted. Although when I've done other cars racks, I normally have to remove something else (crossmember, engine mounts, shocks etc). They're never just 'slide out'... damn things.

Yeah mate, they could make it a bit easier.

Al least it is done now and I hope that's the last time.
I think I have shagged my spiral cable though. My airbag
warning light is now flashing. Will try the reset tomorrow but
it looks like I might be replacing it next :(

Ah well, I haven't had to take the steering wheel apart yet :D

Murph

good to know as ill have to pull out my rack to replace the bushes it mounts on, might just do it when i eventually get a front locker

mine just started leaking. What was busted? Can a seal be replaced?

On mine I tore the drivers side boot and got wet mud/grit into it. This wore away
at the seal on the shaft and caused the leak. To replace a seal you would need to
remove the steering rack and strip it down. Too much hassle for me.
Easier in my mind to replace and a lot quicker too (unless you have the right tools and
parts to replace the seal and know what you are doing).

I picked up a second hand steering rack for $400 (Local Nissan stealership wanted
$1700+ to replace it).

You could ask Nissan for a quote for the parts (laugh for a while) then get one from Nizzbits
as well. You can also pick up second hand racks from wreckers for decent prices.

Be VERY careful with the steering wheel when you remove the existing rack as I knackered
my clock spring by reconnecting the new steering rack without it being centred properly.
Replacement clock spring $160 from Nizzbits (excellent service there BTW). Easy to replace
but if you do the rack replacement right you won't need to. Follow the advice in the workshop
manual and securely tie the steering wheel when you remove the existing rack. When refitting
the rack ensure it is in the neutral position (or set it up so it mirrors the rack you took out!).

Good luck.

Murph

Last edited:
I haven't pulled the rack out yet to check the bushes. There's no aftermarket ones available and nissan don't do them seperatly so its a whole rack job. But im going to try and find some bushes to replace them with from possibly purple pig or solid mount it at worse case

Ok no worries mate. Will have a look at mine and see if they can be removed.
They are still good so could be a solution if I can get them out.

Murph

that would be wicked even if you just find out if they can be removed. then maybe i could use them as a sample to match up some new ones

No worries bud. Will try to get them out over the weekend if I get a bit of time.
Will let you know how I get on.

Murph

Back