Touring setups etc

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Ok the reason I post this thread is cause I'm stuck in a deep hole when it comes to Kitting the ute for the big trip to cape.

So here goes. I have a d22 Thai model with extended tub. I was going to put a draw system in and build it myself, but have decided against it cause of space reasons and was just gonna stick everything in plastic tubs etc.

So I'm asking how have people set themselves up for a trip anywhere? Is a draw system necessary? I have a canopy fitted. I am gonna put a fridge slide in somewhere and bolt it to the tub floor. Has anyone done this and what have you used to secure it? Any ideas will help. If I can avoid wasting money on a draw system if its not necessary it would keep the minister of finance happier.

Please post pictures or whatever of what you do?

Rusty

Never been a fan of draws myself. I like the plastic tubs myself not to hard to make them dust tight and just pick it up and take it to where you want. When your not camping they go back in the shed.
I like the more low profile ones myself. Bunnings had some out the other day reasonable quality and 15 bucks.

I'm also not a fan of drawers, and in my view are certainly not necessary. You'll fit more in without them and that money can be used better elsewhere. Sounds like you already have worked it out anyway Rusty.

How have people fitted there fridge slides to the tub? By bolting and silicone the holes before tightening nuts etc? Looking to keep as much water as possible out of the tub. I think I may just hang onto the plastic container idea. I didst think about packing up part. Easier and more efficient.

I just bolted it straight through the tray, I know most will say to fit to ply then bolt ply down. But I through it would be much easier to blow shit out from under the slide without the board.

I wouldn't worry about silicone mate, if your in water deep and long enough to have it come past the nut its gonna come through the tailgate anyway.

Recently there was an active thread about somebodys tub storage system that would give you some ideas. I cant remember who it was or the reason (name) for the thread.

I recall they had the spare, batterys, fuel, recovery equipment,fridge etc all in seperate compartments. Looked really well thought out and made.......

Maybe somebody remembers who it was.

Cheers

Mat

x4 on drawer systems, too heavy, cost too much and use up too much space.

I cut a piece of ply that covered the whole tray floor, covered in carpet and bolted it down. This gave me a platform that I could screw the fridge slide, hooks for securing boxes, water/fuel tanks etc etc.

I like the idea of drawers, but they're too cumbersome and heavy. My vehicle weighs near on 2400 kg with just me and a full tank of fuel, add a passenger, extra fuel, fridge, food, water, I'm fast approaching the RGVM of 2960. So adding an extra 200kg for drawer is just impractical.

I plan to work out what I'd be taking then make a shelf just above a certain height (in line with the wheel arch probably) and building in a shelf. Then I can use sliding tubs under the shelf, and tubs on top of the shelf and tie down anchors to secure things down. I've already got the fridge slide mounted to the floor, and then I plan to build another shelf just above the fridge. The plan is to make as much useable and easily accessible storage space as possible for as little weight as possible.

In the process of "decking it out" myself or at least buy what's required and working it all out.
It's an each to own thing but since we are kicking a few ideas around here is mine. Feel free to critisize it.

Always been keen on sleeping in the back, nothing like the added security of being well off the ground,
especialy up this way as there can be big bities:) Infact if I did not need a ute at other times I'd probably would of brought a Pathfinder.

So for me the fridge lives in a nice air cond eviroment behind the passenger seat along with a quick ready box for making lunch and a coffee. Storage of personal and sensative items and clothing behind the driver side. Box across the tub right up forward under the rear window, for stuff. A sheet of ply cut out to suit the back supported by the wheel arches, a divider down the middle, across the back of the box, and a small support on each rear corner near the tail gate. Underneath goes storage tubs a 60l caravan water container.
On top goes the swag, table & chairs, tarp & poles, BBQ plate and shovel. There are a few other little tweaks to make it all work but maybe you get the idea. I'll post a pick of the car and setup when done.

This way when not going away on a trip the ply tray is simply lifted out (the box and aux battery across the back stay) but it becomes a normal everyday ute again.

Last edited:
I like the idea of drawers, but they're too cumbersome and heavy. My vehicle weighs near on 2400 kg with just me and a full tank of fuel, add a passenger, extra fuel, fridge, food, water, I'm fast approaching the RGVM of 2960. So adding an extra 200kg for drawer is just impractical.

Your not wrong there. Mine sits at 2300kg with a full tank of fuel and myself in the drivers seat (has drawers, scotty sliders, arb rear bar, canopy, 32's)
I have a GVM of 2850kg and have yet to add a steel bullbar, bash plates, front recovery points and a 50mm lift. So mine is probably going to end up mighty close to its GVM aswell by the time my trip to the cape comes around in 2013

x4 on drawer systems, too heavy, cost too much and use up too much space.

I cut a piece of ply that covered the whole tray floor, covered in carpet and bolted it down. This gave me a platform that I could screw the fridge slide, hooks for securing boxes, water/fuel tanks etc etc.

I like this idea of the ply. Any ideas which ply works best? I'm thinking some formply and carpeting it. If not a Kay just go a 20mm construction ply.

Rusty

Structural or "free" will do the job nicely. I put in eyelet bolts with big washers behind the ply then used ratchet straps to hold down a 200l extra fuel tank and 55l water tank I then built a shelf over those and mounted a spare wheel/ tyre on top. (D40 King Cab)
I'm fairly sure I was way over the GVM, the cab to tub flex on the corrrrrrugations was very scary, I thought the chassis was going to spit in half but fortunately it survived.

I can get any ply for free. I think I might go a nice piece of formply. Plus washer everything from the under side. Should be nice and tough

Drawer systems only seem most useful in scenario's where you want to keep tools and recovery gear etc in your vehicle all the time, but you want it locked up and out of the way of prying eyes whilst going to the local shops etc.

Think about all that money you spend on drawers, then what would you actually put in them? Probly stuff that's worth less than half the value of the drawers.

Plastic tubs of varying sizes are pretty handy, waterproof, dust proof, you can haul them in and out of camp, store food away from critters, you can use one to wash dishes in, quick table setups, you can use the lid in lieu of bellows to get the ashes of the fire going ! So many uses for a $20 plastic tub.

Also you'd struggle to add the value of the drawers to your insurance, unless you're with a very leanient insurer, but you'd be in the bad books if they sent you over the GVM.

Plastic tubs of varying sizes are pretty handy, waterproof, dust proof, you can haul them in and out of camp, store food away from critters, you can use one to wash dishes in, quick table setups, you can use the lid in lieu of bellows to get the ashes of the fire going ! So many uses for a $20 plastic tub.

I'm with you on the plastic tub, but I doubt that a $20 one is good value. From whatI can see, you would be forever buying replacements as they crack from stuff inside bouncing around and/or th weight of thse on top.

About 15 years ago we purchased Nally play cubes(35cm cube) for $15 each and they are still going strong and excellent value. Alas not dust or water proof, but they will hold tins of food, piles of tent pegs, heavy block and tackle, etc with out breaking. Sadly, no longer produced.

Our other basic plastic tub is the fish crate, which suffer from the problem that you can pack too much weight into them(like four cast iron burners, or tinned food), particularly if you're aged.

The only really dust proof, water proof, stackable and strong ones I've seen are of are those army equipment lockers(brain fart and can not find link, but thread/mention exists on site).

These unfortunately suffer from the size/weight problem of the fish crate.

Well i'm going to go and chuck a spanner in the works, i've been thinking about this for some time now and after several different sketches etc I think i've sussed it out.

I'm making a frame for the drawers from 20x20mm steel angle, with the drawer runners made from unistrut (seemed like a good idea and i've got miles of the stuff), i'm going a single drawer that will be made by the Toolbox joint from Aluminium with welded dividers to keep the strength.
The top will slide out on another homemade slide from unistrut, albeit shorter than the drawers, reason for this is that behind the cab will be a water tank taking up the first 200(ish)mm of shelf.
Dual battery, compressor, fuses relays switches etc behind the wheel arch down one side, very safe lockable box on the other for my Thermal Imaging Cameras which are $24-60K each.
The canopy is ready for pickup from the spray painters now so I hope to make a start on it all this weekend.

I'll be taking plenty photos etc and posting up here when I do, I'll also weigh everything as I do it as it will probably end up heavier than I think.

Rich

on my draw set up i used 20x 10 light weight steel for the frame and the rest was all aluminiun
i didn't bother with fridge sliders mounted on top of the frame because i wouldn't be able to see into it so i made the draws with the cut out and just slide the fridge in and out on the tray i have heaps of room for my recovery gear in the short draw and the other was used to keep in tools, spares, guns and stuff you didn't want people to see i also have my compressor and auxiliary battery mounted on the right. on the left side behind the small draw is where i extended my diff breather straight into the tub with a fuel filter on the end of it. for our trip to the cape i packed a lot of cooking, fishing and kids toys into milk crates we could stack them 2 high and had a 150l esky in the middle for all of the food

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 247

Latest posts

Back