Question? Load the ute or the camper

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Buz

Reaction score
Hi All

Just a question. I am just about to buy an off road camper and i was wondering what the best way to pack up for a week away. Is it best to load the ute up with most of the weight or load the camper up with the weight?
Cheers in advance

Generally, load the Ute. <lol, ute has to be capitalised or it is a spelling mistake >
1. It has four tyres to spread the load on softer ground.
2. The extra weight on the Ute helps keeps things under control(reduce tail wag dog incidents).

Caveat, you need to have at least 10% of the gross trailer loaded weight on the towbar for the above reasons as well, but do not exceed maximum tow bar (static) load.

That said, we are generally trying to make the camper self contained with all the kitchen and erection related stuff inside/on top of it. No point in starting to cook dinner and finding out all the pots are in the back of the Ute in town shopping or where peeps are fishing.

I'd be putting all the weight in the tray, as far forward in the tray as possible. Personal preference, but I find the car handles much better with most of the weight in the tray .

Offroad, you want as much of your total weight right on top of the rear wheels as possible. More traction that way. The camper is just dead weight you're trying to drag around without it contributing to your traction. That's why heavy trailers are such a bitch to tow around muddy farms.

Back