help needed,d40 not starting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxy

Reaction score
hey guys

im not real good with electrical stuff i came out to my car this morning after driving it all day yesterday without any issue and it wouldn't start, it turned over once but that was it.This afternoon i jumpstarted it no worrys of my missus focus had it running for a good half an hour took for a drive i got back turned it off and it didnt even have enough power to turn it over i have noticed any lights for my alternator not to be charging(if there is a dash light?) the battery is 206000 old so how do i tell wether its F*&Ked what volts are supposed to be running through it when you put a multimeter on it

cheers boxy

hey guys

the battery is 206000 old so how do i tell wether its F*&Ked what volts are supposed to be running through it when you put a multimeter on it

cheers boxy

Probanly answered your own question, but it should be holding around 12.4V, and around 13.8V when charging.

That's quite a few km for a battery.

If the voltages look okay, there's the chance that it's the earth strap (batt negative to engine). Check both ends.

Also check the fusible links and make sure both of the battery terminals are all nice and clean.

If the voltages are bad (test both with engine off and engine running) it's probably the battery but it could also be the alternator with a loose or faulty connection.

thanks for the replies boys much appreciated as like i said electrical is my downfall, just one other quick question when a battery is that old is it possible that it can just decide to give in overnight? I thought it was probably the battery but just seemed unusual that just gave in overnight

thanks again

boxy

Batteries can pack it in any time. You may still get 12 to 14 volts from it but the cells my have given up the ghost. Best just to replace it ASAP

Back