STX 550 17inch rims what tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chookc

Reaction score
Guys am looking for new tyres for the stx 550 with 17inch rims.
I am after something for sand driving mainly that will give me a wider footprint than the standard factory issue tyres when deflated to between 12 and 18 psi....

Mainly used for launching and retriveing my boat from the beach..

Would like to fit some pro comp ats but unsure on anything technical.
Ie widths offsets etc..

The ute is stock with only a set of air bag rear helpersto lift a saggy end when towing...

Thanks....

Hi Chook, I am probably going to go for BFG KM2's when I wear out the stockies - I also like the Mickey T. ATZ 4 Rib...might be better on sand! My speedo is 5 to 6 kph out, so going up to 265/70/17 should bring it back into spec.
Good Luck
Jase.

You're almost in the same boat as the X-Trail owners when it comes to finding tyres for 17" rims. My suggestion is to go back to 16" and the range improves dramtically.

You're almost in the same boat as the X-Trail owners when it comes to finding tyres for 17" rims. My suggestion is to go back to 16" and the range improves dramtically.

16" rims won't clear the brakes.
Should be plenty choice in the 265/70 17 size giving a 32"tyre (someone correct me if i'm wrong) but you'll be after a slight suspension lift to clear them.

I bought a set of 17x8 alloys off ebay, plan was to put 33" on them either 285/70 17 or 12.5 33 17 (don't know why they change the size listing) Mickey Thompson MTZ. Only thing is that the suspension lift required to clear them will result in fights & divorce.
Prob stick with 32" MTZ's & the 2inch lift kit sitting in my garage

so basiclly to fit any tyre that will give me extra width/ footprint I will need a suspension lift as well?

do some tyres have a greater side wall flex than others at low pressure?

so basiclly to fit any tyre that will give me extra width/ footprint I will need a suspension lift as well?

do some tyres have a greater side wall flex than others at low pressure?

This is debateable, have heard people on here saying 32" tyres clear no worries, I put them on my last D40 and no chance, put a 33" on my new one with stock susp for a giggle and I don't think it would have moved!
I'd say you do need a suspension lift for a bigger tyre.

As far as getting a better footprint, I think you need a bigger tyre, let it down and the footprint gets longer, not wider.
I had Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my last one in 265/75 16 size, they were a lot better at low pressure than the stock ones on my mew one (17inch rims)

I have MT ATZ 4ribs on my 450, great tyre, no issues with recommending them, and they fit with no suspension lift (on mine at least!) I do have the ARB bullbar, but I doubt they would have scrubed even with the standard front

What size are those 4 ribs...
been told 275/65/17's will fit no prob but still need to get a shop to trial fit one first before i fork out for the tyres....

supoposed to be in the Maxxis AT range....
Will probably go with a procomp tyre or a cooper not sure yet still searching...

My mate had Procomp extreme all terrain and got 60 odd thousand KM's from them, just changed to Cooper St max. Only prob with the Procomp ones is they are directional so you have to take them off the rim to do a wheel rotation

Some good comments. Will 265/70 x 17 fit std height d40 dual cab without touching suspension etc ?

just fitted the 265 70 17 pro comp all terrain to my stx 550. can not complain. no noticible noise difference or speedo difference. No suspension mods and still plenty clearence on stock rims....

hey mate i run 265 70 17 mickey thompsons ATZ's on mine. they work well on the 550. only down fall is they have a little bit of road noise but only noticable if the stereo is off.

Back