D40 Suspension upgrade for slide on camper???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQ COILY

Reaction score
Hi. I am chasing some info for my missus parents regarding suspension in their 2008 D40 Navara. They currently run a standard suspension set up. They have a slide on camper that weighs around 450kg unloaded and around 800kg - 1000kg when loaded up. With the camper on the driveability is affected considerably and is terrible when travelling anything over 80km/h. Has anybody got a similar set up and what suspension are you running and also how does it drive etc??? They are not after a lift kit!!! They were thinking of replacing the shocks first and go from there but I figured it best to talk to people who have done it first. Cheers Brad.

Welcome aboard.

It's not the shocks they should worry about. Sure, the shocks might be stuffed, but shocks don't support weight.

The standard leaf springs support about 150kg in the back, that's it. For more, you need stronger springs.

An alternative is to install air bellows. They need to be done right, and managed right - Firestone air bellows are not bad, as the bracketing does spread the load across an area of the chassis, but care should still be taken to not overload the rear of the vehicle (so no towing with the camper in place!).

Have you done this to your D40??? I live in Newcastle also, maybe I should come and check yours out!!! Do you have a slide on???

Not many people with slide on camper setups. Just upgrade the rear leaves to constant load ones. Any brand is five. Probly stay away from the old man emus though as allot of people have had problems with em.

I don't have a slide-on, I have a caravan. Not as much weight on the tail. I'm considering getting those triple-action leaf springs because mine sags - look at the picture at Kiama in my garage, you can see it clearly there.

I would go the heavy leaves too if the load was constant but if they're taking the camper off now and again, the air bellows might be a better solution. At least they won't be putting hundreds of kg on the towball, which is what seems to be the main cause for chassis failure with airbags.

Go into ARB at New Lambton and talk to Peter, tell him I sent you (mention this forum). He'll point you straight at those bellows. Probably looking at over $1K. Springs are probably cheaper but unloaded the tail will feel really harsh (especially over speed humps) and on corrugated dirt tracks she'll skitter around like mad.

Latest posts

Back