Kuhmo KL 71 tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jastormont

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a set of these and thought I should create a thread on these tyres as there does not seem to be a dedicated thread for them.

I was looking at many different type of tyres from Coopers, BFG's and Goodyear's and decided in the end to get the Kuhmo KL 71 as I had read good things about them and the fact they where about $100 cheaper per tyre then many of the other tyres I was looking at also helped me to decide to give them a go.

You can find more about them here: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Kumho-Road-Venture-MT-KL71.htm

The first thing you need to know about these tyres that make them quite different is that they are directional Mud Terrain tyres and this may put some people off as they can not rotate the tyre as they would like but I figure with the $$$ I save I can always spend a few dollars and get them rotated on to the different rims when this is needed.

I went with the 245/75/16 size and at first I was scared the tyres would look skinny but they actually look pretty much the same as a 265/70/16 would look. I went this size because in QLD it is still illegal to go more then 15mm up in tyre size and this size keep the dimensions but gives me better choice of tyres and gets a Light Truck construction as these tyres are with better load carrying rates. Also the standard 7" rims are better suited to this size tyre as it does not pinch the tyre as happens with the larger 265 size and can cause the tyre to balloon more in the center (if that makes sense and also helps make the 245 only really about 10mm narrow when on the rim compared to a 265). Long story short I am very happy with the 245/75/16 size on the D22.

Here are some pics of the tyre I took today:

WP_000047.jpg

WP_000044.jpg

WP_000043.jpg

I have only done about 50Km's on them so far so will have to do another post once I have done a few more K's on them.

First impressions are that they are noisy and I expected this from a MT so not to worried but never having MT's before hard to pass judgment on this. I believe they are probably average regarding noise produced compared with other tyres.

They are much softer then the OEM Bridgestones that I had on before and this surprised me. They are a LT 10 ply construction tyre but they do seem soft and as a result are giving a lovely ride (removed some of the jarring I had over small bumps) and to be honest I really like how they are soft and comfortable. I have read of many people getting 60,000 - 70,000 K's from these tyre but even if I get 45 - 50,000K's with this softer ride I will be happy with that.

So I bought them for $285 per tyre fitted and got them from K Mart Auto and tyre. Also K Mart have given me a card for free tyre rotation and balanceing for every 10,000K's until I reach 50,000K's on the tyres.

Well I hope you all find this a little helpful if considering these tyres. I plan to do some updates on how they go over the time I have them. So far I am quite happy with them and I would rate then 8/10 at the moment but as time goes I might revise this. :thank_you:

Last edited:
nice work, will be interested to see how they go off road and how long they last. will keep an eye on this thread.

nice work, will be interested to see how they go off road and how long they last. will keep an eye on this thread.

Thxs.

Yea I have found buying tyres so painful with so many options so I thought at least I could share my experience with the KL 71 tyre to help others see if they would like this tyre. If there are other KL 71 tyre owners here please post your findings and feeling on the tyre here as well for all to see. :big_smile:

Good thread jastormont.

I have these tyres in 265/75 on 16x8 rims and done just over 5000km. I paid $285 each fitted & balanced with free rotating included through Valley Tyres in Morwell Vic.

I rate them highly.

I have had MTZ's and STT's before and these are just as good. Perhaps even quieter on the road, and they ride very well. I have found them great off-road - no concerns at all. They air down well and provide plenty of grip. The rubber does seem softer and I have read that they do wear quicker than some other brands.

Would there be much difference in the 245 compared to the 265 in off road applications? I know they are slightly narrower, so there would be a slightly smaller footprint offroad. I am thinking of this tyre size aswell to stay legal as there aren't many options in the 265/70/16

Would there be much difference in the 245 compared to the 265 in off road applications? I know they are slightly narrower, so there would be a slightly smaller footprint offroad. I am thinking of this tyre size aswell to stay legal as there aren't many options in the 265/70/16

I do not feel most people would notice. I measured the old 265 on the rim then measured these on the factory rim and there is only 10mm diffrence in width on the wides part of the tyres. It should be 20mm diffrence but because the 7" rim is IMO to narrow for the 265 it pinch's it in by 10mm making the diffrence only 10mm.

I was concerned about the legal aspect but to be honest I was more concerned of potential power loss on take off as I find the 2.5lt suffers bad from turbo lag as it is compared to the 3.0lt. I was concerned about going to this size and since I have I can say I have no regrets and would go this size again. I feel the power loss would have more of an affect on 4x4ing then the extra traction gain from 10mm.

Also the 245 allows for better deflation of the tyre on a 7" rim from what I have read and after seeing how the the 265 pinch's on the rim I could see how the tyre construction would not work as well due to this..

Last edited:
Good tyres mate. I run 285/75's on 16x8's. Go real well offroad, only issue is in the sand, tend to dig a bit, but you get that running muddies.

done 20thou om 'em so far still got at least 30K tom go :)

does anyone know of a goldcoast source for these tyres? I priced them up, in a 265/75 a few weeks ago and could not find them cheaper than $310 per tyre.

does anyone know of a goldcoast source for these tyres? I priced them up, in a 265/75 a few weeks ago and could not find them cheaper than $310 per tyre.

That actually at the moment is not a bad price. I got quoted about $320 a tyre in that size as the best price. That is good a price in that size tyre for example Maxxis Bighorn in that size I was getting quoted around $345 a tyre and around the $400 mark for Cooper muds, BFG and Goodyear as a comparison.

Guys as it has been raining quite a bit here in Brisbane I thought I would add how they are going in the wet. I must say I am quite happy with them in the wet and have no issues with them especially for a mud. How they are when they wear I guess we will find out but at the moment quite happy with them and prehaps even a little surprised as I have read how bad muds can be on wet black top.

Last edited:
jastormont, your timing couldnt have been better. i am also in the process of re shoeing the navara and have looked at these khumos but read very little about their performance in the lovely brisbane summers, which we are enjoying at the moment. Might go and see if the local kmart tyre shop can muster up a deal for me.

Just got a set of these last week, nice tyre so far, heaps better in the wet than the bridgestones. and for the hour or so off road, so far, miles better there too.but then thats what i expected going from a crappy at to a mud :) bout $60 cheaper each than goodyear and BFG's too.
not as noisy as the old goodyear mtr's either, hopefully just as good off road too.
some scrubbing on close to lock tho, but nothing the old hacksaw can't fix ;)

I got some of these near the end of winter in Vic. I haven't had any mud tyres before but I have never been bogged from lose of traction. Only when I bottom out. On another not does any one no how high of a lift I need to fit 33 under her?

i run 3" suspension and 1.25" body lift, remove the mudflap and chop out the excess metal inside the guard, and i cant get the tyres to touch anywhere at full compression. thats with a 285/75r16 on a +20 rim.

had a set of the BFG km2 fitted 255/85R16 (33.4) skinny tyre Compared to what the “norm” seems to be (265/75R16) but have gained heaps more clearance (1inch), so far the BFG’s have been really good, had run some Mickey T’s muddies, would definitely buy the BFG tyres again

had a set of the BFG km2 fitted 255/85R16 (33.4) skinny tyre Compared to what the “norm” seems to be (265/75R16) but have gained heaps more clearance (1inch), so far the BFG’s have been really good, had run some Mickey T’s muddies, would definitely buy the BFG tyres again

With the 255's have you had to remove the mudflap, are you running the original rims, body lift and or spring lift. Cheers

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I have done a update and for that matter been on this forum. I have just finished moving and that and have been super busy.

I have not been using the D22 much and since I got the tyres have probably only done about 7000 km's with them. I am still happy with them and I have noticed that the tyre is wearing on the outer edge especially on the tyres on the front. I have been using them quite a bit on the black top so I guess that does not help.

A friend has a D40 with the same tyres that he bought about month after me and has done about 25,000K's on his. He is also having the same wearing issue although his is worse than mine. He does do a lot of black top driving and also has a heavy load as he is a tradie and so this again probably does not help. I would say he would be lucky to get another 20,000k's out of his but they may be getting harder as they wear so may slow now too. So for wear I would give them about a 6/10 so far but really too early to say.

I would say they are a damn good muddie and they have been quite for a muddy but my friends are now getting noisy and I would say as they wear more and more they get louder. But still quite good and would feel they are good here. 8/10 for noise.

Handling is also quite good for a muddie and I have been off road quite a bit with them but not in much mud believe it or not but still been in enough to know they are pretty good. I would say road handling for a muddie is also very good although not as good as a AT but you can't expect that out of a muddie can you? I would say 8/10 for this

Over all the toughness of these tyres I have found to be awesome. I and also my friend have been over some tough tracks with these and we both have not had a puncture with these tyres. My mate is a good test being a tradie and going to building sites as he use to always get them with other tyres but has not with these. I would rate these tyres well regarding toughness but it might be also good luck. I have also notices since I went to Sundown track (what is basically trap rock roads in is tough on tyres) that they have held up very well. I remember going there with my Bridgestone's and my mate with his coopers and these tyres have not chipped like either of the other branded tyres. I give these tyres 9/10 for being tough.

Well I hope that give some feed back. I think for the price these tyres are very good and my only concern would be tyre wear but I also feel that driving a lot on the black top is not a good test for how long they would last. I feel though that some of the other muddies like Good years and others may last longer than these but they also cost about $100 more a tyre.

Overall I would recommend them.

Last edited:
I bought a set of these and rims off a forum member over 12 months ago for my old D40 and now use them on the latest one.

I got them with around 60% tread on them and have since done heaps of off road and about 50,000km on them and they are pretty much cactus, but including the original owners time with them i would say they have done 70,000km in total.

They have been a really good tyre and for such an aggressive muddy they have given good wear and performed really good on all surfaces.

As above i would have no problems recommending them to anyone looking at MT'S

Latest posts

Back