squeeling belts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordo

Reaction score
I am having a problem with noisy belts (squeeling) on my D40. Had it in and have had the timing chain replaced (under warranty) then the belts replaced - Same problem. Any ideas?

get some soap and rub that on the ribbed side of the belt when the engine is running. If that quietens the noise its not a bearing.
I found that my alternator pulley had in some way worn and the ribs of the belt were slipping on the ribs of the pulley. The peaks of the ribs were too high and didnt allow the belt to seat properly down into the valley's of the pulley.
I got a small file and used a cordless drill to spin the pulley while holding the file on the peaks of the pulley
Job Done .

It could also be the idler pulley bearing. A quick spritz with WD40 or silicone lube (better) will answer that question.

Mine has the same problem and it'll be looked at in the morning as she goes in for her 80,000km service.

I actually thought mine was at first Tony.But the soap trick sorted that out. I had already ordered the new tensioner from Texas via Canada lol so I figured would fit it anyway. Took off the original and cast in the back was "Made in Canada". Makes it easy with the petrol engine being a universal beasty from the US

Soap or a lube stick will work well for belts as Aussie says. One of my belts was squealing a while ago and I looked at lube sprays etc but all the arsehole (oops aerosol) sprays I found at Autobahn suggested they weren't to be used on Serpentine Belts where as the $3 lube stick was good for all sorts.

In the end I found out mine wasn't a the Serpentine belt but the $3 for a lube stick that I use every 7000- 8000 odd ks and will last for atleast 10 hits the way it's going I figure is easier and cheaper than the spray cans.

Had my belt replaced at 90 000k service (old one was cracked) now it squeeks a little till warmed up. When i looked at the new belt they installed it seemes to have a stitched join in 2 places where the belt looks spliced together. Is this normal... Would take it back to nissan stealership where it was installed but they are closing down (YEAY) and would just do somthing else dodgy to it....

I am having a problem with noisy belts (squeeling) on my D40. Had it in and have had the timing chain replaced (under warranty) then the belts replaced - Same problem. Any ideas?

all i know i tried to do the same thing stop the noise 0n my d22 it came down to this arfter market belts are no good the ribs are too wide i changed to genuine belt no more probs they seem to work no sprays or anything so i dont know what belt you have fitted but that worked for me

Had my belt replaced at 90 000k service (old one was cracked) now it squeeks a little till warmed up. When i looked at the new belt they installed it seemes to have a stitched join in 2 places where the belt looks spliced together. Is this normal... Would take it back to nissan stealership where it was installed but they are closing down (YEAY) and would just do somthing else dodgy to it....

my new belt has 1 join in it and just check if it is genune

Back