Gearbox tight, not changing gears! Help.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Tonka

Reaction score
Lastnight when i got into the car, started the car up and tried to select the 1st gear (MAN) but the gear wont move to 1st or any gears. I tried depressing the clutch pedal few times, still no good. I turned the engine off, and tired the gearbox, it will change gears but wont when engine is restarted. Would that be the clutch at fault? I put the gear in 1st and fully depressed the clutch, restarted the engine - when the engine cranks over, the car moves forward a bit! I think the clutch wasn't fully disengaged when i fully depress the pedal. Am i correct? possible fluid leak or clutch master cylinder fail? Please help.

your clutch isnt disengaging....slave cyl prolly needs attention,

and or clutch pedal adjustment

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, i have a question, does the navara use the same mastercylinder for the brake and clutch? If so, means brakes should go funny too but it doesn't?

How do you adjust the clutch pedal? Thanks

if your '40 allows it, there is normally a thread/adjusting nut of some sort between the pedal arm that pushes into the clucth master cyl mounted on the firewall...have a look underneath there and with your hand push the pedal to check the freeplay if any...it should only be a couple of mm.

Went back to the car, tried it again and its fine. gearbox changes gears and clutch feels as normal. Took for a drive around the block to be sure, bit later around the block, gearbox start to get abit tight. Still able to change gears but clutch pedal dont return all the way back to rest position. I checked under bonnet, fluid level is at its max (noticed that they use same fluid container as brakes but seperate slave cylinders). Do you think the pedal adjustment can go wrong like that?

Went back to the car, tried it again and its fine. gearbox changes gears and clutch feels as normal. Took for a drive around the block to be sure, bit later around the block, gearbox start to get abit tight. Still able to change gears but clutch pedal dont return all the way back to rest position. I checked under bonnet, fluid level is at its max (noticed that they use same fluid container as brakes but seperate slave cylinders). Do you think the pedal adjustment can go wrong like that?

still think its hydraulic related....if not loosing fluid, master could be leaking back into itself....is there any leakage at the slave cyl....romove the rubber boot as well as it still may be contained in the boot at this early stage.

OK thanks. It seems to be fine for now. Still will be taking her in for a check up on Monday. I agree with you kranklin, its hydraulic related.

Dave, strangely its fine now. It was just one night thing. Weird. What do you reckon?

Gianni

Im having exatcly the same problem as you first listed. Car on, cant change, car off, can. tried releaseing air from lines, but didnt help, still have plenty of hydro fluid but cant change gears. Was making a grinding sound here and there out of first, then on friday changed from 1st to second, then couldnt goto 3rd, or out of 2ns. RACV man got me home nicely though. Its still buggered

im having the same problems, it has been suggested to me to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders which ill be going to pickup in the morning. for the same reason as one of the above suggested it could be leaking back into itself or its back for another replacement 4th one in 14 months

I've got a similar problem.
2007 D40 YD25 TD Spanish build.
I believe it has been upgraded to a single solid mass fly wheel on it.
It all started when I changed the tyres from original 30inch to 32inch and went on a weekend light 4wding.
I began noticing it hard to put into gear mainly when down gearing as if the clutch wasn't engaged properly. When engine is off it changes gear fine. Then I was lead away from thinking it was the clutch I began looking at the transmission (oil level checked and fine).
Until today, I started engine in neutral. Engaged clutch. But couldn't get into reverse let alone any gear, but noticed when trying to put in reverse with foot off brake vehicle rocking back a little. Then turned off engine, could then shift gears no problems. Left gear in reverse, engaged clutch (all the way pushed in) and started engine. Vehicle bunny hoped back (began moving) as if the clutch wasn't fully engaged.
Had to take another car out.
I'll give the hydraulic system a look at today.

I know this may be a little late, but here was the solution.
After all that happened, I assumed the clutch needed replacing. When the mechanic took it apart, found that the clutch springs had began falling apart causing it to not fully disengage. It was a solid fly light thru clutch. Upgraded to a "exedy" heavy duty clutch with a solid mass flywheel kit.

I know this may be a little late, but here was the solution.
After all that happened, I assumed the clutch needed replacing. When the mechanic took it apart, found that the clutch springs had began falling apart causing it to not fully disengage. It was a solid fly light thru clutch. Upgraded to a "exedy" heavy duty clutch with a solid mass flywheel kit.
Im having the same problem

Latest posts

Back