Snowy River National Park - Vic.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgie

Reaction score
Over the Australia day weekend I went with a few mates into the Snowy River National Park for a few days.

We set off from Orbost on Thursday morning and took on the Deddick Track. A relatively easy drive took us through some great country and up to McKillops Bridge, and we camped that night at Little River Junction. This track has a big reputation for being tough - but in the dry it was a great drive with no damage done. In the wet it would be a very different story. The terrain changes dramatically as you cross from the sunny side to the damp side, with some steep climbs and decents, and some rocky sections thrown in.

Due to some technical difficulties with a D40, we could no longer tackle any serious 4WD tracks (we leave no-one behind!) so we rolled down McKillops Road to Buchan. A bloody nice drive through great country.

Eventually we found a campsite at Balley Hooley and set up for a couple of nights. We almost moved on as the grounds were quite small and the river access we saw was ordinary - but walking another 100 mtrs saw the most magnificent river. This spot is also known as 'The Junction' as it is where the Snowy meets the Buchan River. It was bloody hot and we were able to get out to some rocks and have a natural spa in the flowing water, have a few drinks, what a way to spend our time.

On Saturday we visited Buchan Caves and had lunch in the Buchan pub.

We all enjoyed the goannas we came across at camp, even if the tall stories about their antics with swags had some of us a little nervous.

As usual we ate well, drank plenty and the laughs and banter were endless.

Check out some pics at this link.

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/Bartess/Snowy River Jan2012/

Looks like a great part of the world, wouldn't mind visiting it myself.

What were the "technical difficulties" that prevented the D40 from participating?

Unsure at the moment. Abs light came on, once on the bitumen changed to 2wd and wouldn't go back to 4x4 after that. Not my car either

Tony he was being nice that was a kind way of saying it wasnt up to the challenge lol. Sounds like fun Darren

Its not possible. Iv tried. Pretty.much come back to it needs the abs sensors to see if wheels are turning so the electronic control for 4x4 selection wont try to change its position when its not ready

looks like an awesome weekend!! What a spectacular place to spend a long weekend.
I think that will defiantly be added to the list of places i have to go.

Over the Australia day weekend I went with a few mates into the Snowy River National Park for a few days.

We set off from Orbost on Thursday morning and took on the Deddick Track. A relatively easy drive took us through some great country and up to McKillops Bridge, and we camped that night at Little River Junction. This track has a big reputation for being tough - but in the dry it was a great drive with no damage done. In the wet it would be a very different story. The terrain changes dramatically as you cross from the sunny side to the damp side, with some steep climbs and decents, and some rocky sections thrown in.

Due to some technical difficulties with a D40, we could no longer tackle any serious 4WD tracks (we leave no-one behind!) so we rolled down McKillops Road to Buchan. A bloody nice drive through great country.

Eventually we found a campsite at Balley Hooley and set up for a couple of nights. We almost moved on as the grounds were quite small and the river access we saw was ordinary - but walking another 100 mtrs saw the most magnificent river. This spot is also known as 'The Junction' as it is where the Snowy meets the Buchan River. It was bloody hot and we were able to get out to some rocks and have a natural spa in the flowing water, have a few drinks, what a way to spend our time.

On Saturday we visited Buchan Caves and had lunch in the Buchan pub.

We all enjoyed the goannas we came across at camp, even if the tall stories about their antics with swags had some of us a little nervous.

As usual we ate well, drank plenty and the laughs and banter were endless.

Check out some pics at this link.

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/Bartess/Snowy River Jan2012/

trust a D40 to shit itself...:rofl2:

I must say - the injured D40 did a bloody ripper job to get out of where we were in 2WD - and the driver had a lot of fun in the process. Without the unfortunate malfunction we would not have found the Balley Hooley campsite and the magnificent site by the Snowy as we would have most likely taken an alternate route through some tougher tracks..............so sometimes a bad situation brings out the best.

Was my D40 that has the ABS problem.Goes in for diagnosis this thursday,bad luck,didn't need this expense this early in the new year.
Did the Deddick without ABS,actually made it interesting. :big_smile:

Was my D40 that has the ABS problem.Goes in for diagnosis this thursday,bad luck,didn't need this expense this early in the new year.
Did the Deddick without ABS,actually made it interesting. :big_smile:

no warranty I take it.

Check your rear wheel
Speed sensors. Probably ripped one of the cables out at the rear. Sends an abs light and won't let you select 4wd.
Pretty common. One little sensor at the rear hubs.
Looking about $180 for the sensor.

Warrant is long gone,might do a search for the android app Old.Tony uses and see if that will show me what is wrong.Try and save some bucks.

I've heard of that happening FatBoy,so i checked them front and rear straight away,but they all seem ok.

Daz, its the body heat that draws the goannas to swags I swear it. Although I have heard snoring scares them off.

Great few days boys.

No i don't have an adapter or know where to plug it in.Checking out the torque app now but a bit wary of sending credit card details over the phone net. App looks the goods though,also looking at the scanguage to see if that may help for future problems.

Latest posts

Back