Ticking noise coming from either the brakes or the gearbox!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie277

Reaction score
As it says in the title ive got a wierd ticking noise comming from the rear end from what it sounds like but it only starts when the car is slowing down from the engine or if i use the brakes it also happens if i use the handbrake. I thought it might be some thing in the drums but couldnt find anything obvious in them.

If anyone has had this before or knows anything of this happening and how to fix it, it would be muchly appreciated cheers :)

When you're slowing down from the engine or when you're braking, the forces on your propeller shaft and rear axles are different to when you're accelerating. Can you inspect the rear uni joint?

Yeah ive gone over them they are still good but i noticed that at the end of the gear box theres a what looks like a metal sleeve there and then goes to the first uni joint it has signs of it rubbing but im not sure wether it would be that or not Its not actually affecting my nav but its just really starting to anoy me lol

If there are signs of rubbing I'd have it seen to. Perhaps the plate has been pushed too close to the drive shaft, which should not have anything wearing it away. As you brake, the balance of the vehicle shifts forward, raising the rear suspension and lowering the front, yet the gearbox is firmly mounted - that's why there are universal joints on the shaft, to tolerate that movement. If something is impeding the shaft, it HAS to be moved.

I'm guessing if you brake harder, the noise is louder? Get the plate bent back away from the shaft.

Yeah the plate looks like its been hit before not sure what though maybe from a roo but ill try plying it back into shape the other thing is the gearbox mounts seem too have alot of leeway in it ive inspected them and none of the are broken but it just seems like they have gone soft over time could that posibly be a reason as to why its doing it also ?

Old tony, yes the ticking noise does get louder when i brake harder

+1 on the mounts, and it's not worth bending the support straight, the metal's already been weakened by the first impact. Bending it back makes it weaker again.

The last thing you want is to hit a slight bump at 100km/h and have the gearbox fall out.

Well some how its fixed its self lol or it might of been me when i realised my exhaust had broken at the welds to the mufler so i pulled it off and welded it up and put it back on and so far i havent herd any ticking noise

hey guys i know this is an old thread but my nav has started doing that after i treated her as a yacht but if it only happens in de acceleration of all gears apart from fourth ive been told its a thruster bearing issue. cheers mate

Back