front diffs. lsd or not?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamp

Reaction score
hey i was wondering the other day in my 06 str if the front diff is lsd or not. just wondering if any of you guys no if there lsd or not. i no the rear is.

thanx for answering my question.
ye it dus seem stupid that there not.
do u no if u can buy lsd for them or can fit a centre off somthing elc to them?

i have been told one of the nissan cars has the rear diff version of that diff and it has an LSD. however i do not think you can fit it.

i would just fit an auto locker or do a diff swap and fit an air locker.

ye i was only thinking the same thing. time and money getting a lsd u might as well get a locker put in

The only reason why you'd want an LSD up the front is if you wanted to be in 4WD mode on solid surfaces (where there's no real need to do that anyway) and if you did, you'd need to put some sort of slip device in the transfer case as well or you'd risk damaging the transfer chain.

Once you put LSDs up the front and in the middle, you actually REDUCE the off-road capability of the vehicle and you'd be looking to replace the LSD's with lockers anyway!

I have to disagree Tony, people have been putting the Pathfinder LSD in the front of their GQ's for a while now with great off road results. One of our club members has done this and I have witnessed first hand how well it went compared to the double diff locked GQ'S on the same trip. (lot's of Nissans in the club!) The main thing he tended to do was unlock the hubs religiously when on firmer pavement.

Cheers Brad

^ VG33E/VG30E, QD32 powered D22's run the same diff and certain model D21's. The H233B diff, same centre as a GQ and GU front diff.

Anyways on the topic, only 4wds I know of that had LSD's in the front were old Ford Bronco's and F100's. I heard that so not 100% sure.

Landcruiser, Patrol etc are all open front diff to.

I have to disagree Tony, people have been putting the Pathfinder LSD in the front of their GQ's for a while now with great off road results. One of our club members has done this and I have witnessed first hand how well it went compared to the double diff locked GQ'S on the same trip. (lot's of Nissans in the club!) The main thing he tended to do was unlock the hubs religiously when on firmer pavement.

Cheers Brad

The thing with putting the LSD in though is that you'd do it so that you COULD stay on the firm stuff without disengaging 4WD (which is the point I was trying to make).

Personally I can't see the point in putting an LSD up front. The LSD, if a wheel lifts, is still going to drop power to the wheel on the ground and spin the one in the air - the ONLY difference between an LSD and an open diff in traction terms is that the LSD will, on a solid surface, allow you to go around a corner without binding (which is why we all have LSDs in the rear).

So, if the LSD isn't going to improve things traction-wise on the track (it will reduce binding on the firmer parts of the track) and we still need a locker, why not just get the locker to begin with?

I was just going to ask would a lokka not be a cheaper, quicker,easier and more effective option than trying to source the v6 diff?
I too have been researching the lokka and value this discussion.

The thing with putting the LSD in though is that you'd do it so that you COULD stay on the firm stuff without disengaging 4WD (which is the point I was trying to make).

No you'd still have the same wind-up problem. Plus your steering will be heavier with a greater tendency to return to centre.

Personally I can't see the point in putting an LSD up front. The LSD, if a wheel lifts, is still going to drop power to the wheel on the ground and spin the one in the air - the ONLY difference between an LSD and an open diff in traction terms is that the LSD will, on a solid surface, allow you to go around a corner without binding (which is why we all have LSDs in the rear).

LSDs are fitted in the rear to help offroad, they're not sportscars, the LSD has nothing to do with pavement running. An open diff would make for smoother operation in carparks etc. LSDs, unlike Torsens, will still apply some torque to a wheel with greater traction, depending on ramp angle and preload setup. Well-worn LSDs act like open diffs.

So, if the LSD isn't going to improve things traction-wise on the track (it will reduce binding on the firmer parts of the track) and we still need a locker, why not just get the locker to begin with?

As soon as anything other than an open diff is fitted in the front, you'd want to be unlocking your hubs on road. An LSD will improve traction, however for the effort, the point is valid that you might as well go with an autolocker. Unless you really can't get used to the different approach you need to take to steering when offroad.

Some good posts..the Lokka's are always locked..keep that in mind guys , they are only unlocked when no pwer is applied..so on the bitumen they will make a car steer wide and be heavy..even when on the dirt people report the same.

The air lockers or the Eaton E locker is the way to go if available

Some good posts..the Lokka's are always locked..keep that in mind guys , they are only unlocked when no pwer is applied..so on the bitumen they will make a car steer wide and be heavy..even when on the dirt people report the same.

The air lockers or the Eaton E locker is the way to go if available

what about the autolockers?

Sorry my above post meant to say the Lokka's as in the tradename that a South Aussie company distributes...this is the blurb

From all accounts, what they say and how they behave are 2 different stories.

LOKKA is an automatic positive locking differential, a novel concept in differential locking technology that delivers affordable traction while still providing differential operation.
Whether LOKKA is being driven on the bitumen or offroad through deep mud, soft sand or climbing steep rocky slopes, LOKKA's performance is smooth, quiet and reliable.

LOKKA Lockers are used in all sorts of commercial and recreational 4WDs, under some of the most arduous 4WD conditions

LOKKA's revolutionary design is extremely rugged . . . yet ingeniously simple. The planetary gears in the existing differential housing are simply replaced with a pair of LOKKA cam and axle gear sets.

Latest posts

Back