changing the fuel filter.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfit

Reaction score
Gday fella's, was wondering if someone could explain how to change the fuel filter step by step on my 2005 navara 3.0lt diesel please, regards mark.

i thought there was a couple of threads on this.

anyway, basic instructions.....
if your real lucky the filter will unscrew by hand while still in the ute. however i find thats rare if its been fitted properly.
so.......

clamp off inlet fuel hose, disconnect from filter assembly and tie back. (clamping off is so fuel doesn't drain back. sometimes you can simply fold the hose back which will clamp it off)

undo tap at bottom of fuel filter and drain fuel from filter (if possible they often are to tight to move).

undo filter assembly outlet hose and tie back.

disconnect sensor wire at bottom of filter. how you do that depends on if you can get to the connector or not. sometimes its easier to do it by removing filter assembly first.

unbolt top 2 bolts which hold fuel filter assembly in. remove assembly. unscrew sensor at the bottom of filter.

if your lucky you can unscrew the filter by hand. if not you can bolt it back in upside down then unscrew it, otherwise need to put it in a vice and put a wrench on it (or screw driver through the filter.

replace fuel filter, make sure new seals are used and lube the seals (don't forget sensor seal). refit sensor. make sure filter is on tight and seal hasn't bunched up or split.

bolt assembly back in. connect incoming fuel hose. pump primer till fuel starts coming out of outlet pipe (you may want something to catch the fuel so it doesn't go everywhere).
fit outlet hose.
pump primer until hard (should only be a few pumps). if possible pump it a bit more as that will push the air bubble through the pump.

turn over motor a bit. stop motor and pump primer until hard (hopefully that has now pushed bubble through injection pump).

start engine. if bubble hasn't been pushed through it will run very rough or stall. pump primer again. if it doesn't run smooth within a few seconds stop motor and pump primer again.

it sounds like a lot but having air in the fuel system is very bad for these pumps so try to avoid it if at all possible.

nice write up tweak, i had to jama screw driver through mine to get it un done.
i dont both about clamping the hose's, it just spills a bit of diesel around.
i dont know if it helps but when kicking the motor over i held the throttle flat,

you have to clamp or block off the hose otherwise it drains back to tank and you will be there for ages pumping it back up.

i try not to use large amounts of throttle, you really don't want air getting into the injector lines. a bit of revs can help pump it through tho.

if you have an air commpressor handy you can use that to push fuel up. rather not use the primer to much, they are prone to leaking.

Nice writeup tweak'e any cahnce you could put a pic up of the fuel filter and which hose is the inlet and outlet for us un educated people? Pretty sure I know which is which but just want to make sure before i change mine.

Nice writeup tweak'e any cahnce you could put a pic up of the fuel filter and which hose is the inlet and outlet for us un educated people? Pretty sure I know which is which but just want to make sure before i change mine.

It doesn't really matter which is which, Just clamp them both. As Bluenavara said If you don't know what the filter/primer looks like it may be safer not to touch it.
Having said that, if you do have a go then you can buy some clamps from repco that are meant for rubber hoses. They look like plastic side cutters with very blunt blades that don't quite close together, and they have a sliding lock. So once you have squashed the hose you slide the lock over the handles and no diesel or air can pass in either direction.
good luck, Nathan

I know where the filter is and understand clamping off the hose's no worries. But if you read the write up it says to prime fuel through the filter first before conecting it back to the pump. So it would be good to know which is the inlet and outlet otherwise you may pump the injector pump full of air not diesel?

I know where the filter is and understand clamping off the hose's no worries. But if you read the write up it says to prime fuel through the filter first before conecting it back to the pump. So it would be good to know which is the inlet and outlet otherwise you may pump the injector pump full of air not diesel?

just follow the diesel lines one has to go to the fuel pump on the engine and one has to come from the tank

i will see what i can do. it raining outside at the mo.
otherwise just trace the fuel lines. i have it marked it on top of the fuel filter so i remember!

The line on the filter closest to the firewall goes to the injection pump.

The line at the front goes to the tank.

Need to change the rubber hoses on mine. There starting to look a little sad.

Back