CAPE YORK Itinerary help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
Hey guys got a crew keen for a first time cape york trip. Only have 14 days to our name with 2 days spare just in case.

can someone recommend an itinerary starting from Cairns

thanks in advance

ok got a rough idea

Townsville >> Cairns
Cairns >> Laura Lakefield and Quinkan Country
Laura Lakefield >> Musgrave Station
Musgrave >> Coen/Port stewart
Coen/Port Stewart >> Weipa (Merluna route) (stockup)
Weipa >> Moreton Telegraph station
Moreton Telegraph station >> Bramwell Junction
Bramwell Junction >> Bamaga
Bamaga >> Punsand bay

Last edited:
Hey mate. I will be heading up to cairns mid July to do this cape trip myself with a few mates and family. We are taking 4weeks to do it. We are comin up from Brisbane though so longer drive maybe. I don't know itinerary yet as I'm still waiting on other ideas from the guys who have done it before

Hey guys got a crew keen for a first time cape york trip. Only have 14 days to our name with 2 days spare just in case.

thanks in advance

G,day Nismo,

Will send you a draft itinerary soon.

Regards,

RLI
:rock:

Hey Nismo i went up last year but i had 7weeks to burn if I was on a short time frame I would go
1 Townsville -mount molloy (free camp)

2 mount molloy – hann river Lakefield national park chuck lures at barra all arvo stay at camp 8 just above the water fall

3 hann river – stay at Coen big bend free camping on the river or keep going to archer river stay there

4 stay at Weipa get supply’s

5 Weipa cut back to Batavia downs drive telegraph track camp at dulhunty river
or if your not doing the telegraph track go up southern by pass and re enter ott on northern bypass and stay at canal creek do Sam’s creek cut back to northern by pass (*easy crossing *)

6 From either camp is only a day to Bamaga depending if you get stuck behind big groups if your doing all the ott allow for an extra day
We stayed at loyalty beach and wasn’t to impressed next trip I would stay at summerset

On the way back

Check out virlya point and stay on the beach or if you want to swim stay at the camp on the west side of the bridge track at the back leads to small creek
From there you will know what condition the roads are in and how much time you will have for the trip back
Other places to consider on the way south
Captain billy’s, Port stewart, Lockhart river, Creb track, Bloomfield track

Hope this helps
chris

thanks in advance

G,day nismo,

To help me with your itinerary could you please provide me with the following info;

1. Are you taking camper trailers or i are you taking tents?

2. Do you and your friends want to travel via the Old Telegraph Track or just travel the Developmental road to Bamaga?

3. Will you be taking any children on the trip?

4. Do you and your friends like fishing and are you planning on taking a tinnie with you?

I await your reponse

Regards,

RLI
:adminpower:

Last edited:
Nismos Cape York trip planner! Part 1

Day 1. 9.00am start:

Cairns to Lion’s Den Hotel’ via Bloomfield Track;

Head from Cairns to Daintree River crossing taking in the Daintree National Park, lunch at Thornton beach café, and travel to Cape Tribulation for that famous snap of the rainforest to the sea shot. Head via the Bloomfield track to the Lion’s Den Hotel if you have any spare time call in at Wujal Wujal to see the Bloomfield falls. Ring the Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Community Centre on (07) 4060-8155 for permission to visit the falls. Head from Wujal Wujal to Lion’s Den Hotel for overnight stop a few coldies at the bar followed by a good bullshit session.

Day 2. 9.00am start:

Lion’s Den Hotel to Musgrove Roadhouse via Battlecamp Rd;

Taking in the Lakefield National Park, Swimming stops at both Endeavour Falls and Isabella Falls, lunch at Old Laura home stead. Travel to Pandanus Park and do some fishing on the banks of the Normandy River. (Please remember to be Croc wise all the time) from there head to Musgrove Roadhouse and set-up camp. A good feed followed by several driving stress relive beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session.

Day 3. 9.00am start:

Musgrove Roadhouse to Weipa via the PDR (Peninsular Development Road);

Taking in Coen and Archer River. Lunch stop at Archer River and a quick dip in the various waterholes. Continuing 150ks travel to Weipa and set up camp at the Weipa Camping Ground. Powered and unpowered sites available, good shade, brilliant fishing and you can also hire a boat here. Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of driving stress relive beverages, further followed by another a good bullshit session.

Day 4. 9.00am start:

Weipa to Bramwell Junction via both the PDR (Peninsular Development Road) and the Telegraph Road;

Organise a Mine and Town tour of Weipa and have lunch. Travel from Weipa to Bramwell Junction stoping at Moreton Telegraph station en route. Set-up camp, followed by a good feed and a couple of driving stress relive beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session. Don’t forget to carry-out a recce of the Old Telegraph Track by talking to the staff and the various campers of the track conditions. (That’s if you are going to do the Tele-Track)

Day 5. 7.00am start
:
Bramwell Junction to the Elliot Falls camp ground via the Old Telegraph Track;

The first crossing (Palm creek) is a pisser, steep ruttered out on entry and an absolute bog-hole on the departure side of the creek requiring snatching and winching. (I am getting a hard-on just thinking about the Tele-Track, oops sorry about that) from Palm Creek the next crossing is Ducie Creek, (time for a quick wash and cool down after being knackered from the recovery session at Palm Creek.)

10 klicks later you hit Alice Creek (easy crossing) Punching on you then arrive at the Dulhunty River time for a coffee/tea break and a swim (always been mindful of those long tailed, four legged, leather bags that lurk about). Head of to Bertie Creek (watch out for deep holes in the rocky bottom) Continuing on, the track narrows to the famous Gunshot crossing. (My advice here is to take one of the chicken tracks. Its not worth damaging your pride and joy)

Lunch stop at the Gunshot, pull out the deck chairs and watch the number of dick-brains engage the crossing (fun to watch.) Next is Cockatoo Creek (rocky bottom, watch-out for pot-holes) finally Sailor Creek (wooden bridge) late afternoon swim at the magnificent Fruit Bat Falls. If you cannot get a camp at Elliot Falls camp ground about 10ks away. You will find better camp areas at Canal Creek, 6 ks further north.( pristine safe swimming for the children and of course the adults!) My family and I spent two days here it was fantastic. We set up camp on the north side bank of Canal Creek. Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relive beverages, followed yet again by another a good bullshit session. (By now you should be well and truly getting into the swing of things!)

Day 6. 8.00am start:

Elliot Falls or Canal Creek camp ground to Punsand Bay Camping Resort via the Northern section of the Old Telegraph Track;

After breakfast another quick swim before travelling again. First crossing of the morning is Sam Creek (Sandy bottom, easy crossing) followed by Mistake Creek (Steep eroded departure and can be boggy due to volume of traffic, otherwise an easy crossing) next is Cannibal Creek (steep entry and departure, watch out for wash-out on departure section of the bank) Then comes Cypress Creek (Be careful with your wheel placement over the old rooted wooden bridge, you need your handbrake here to guide you across) next is Logan Creek ( a bit swampy otherwise an easy crossing) finally the granddaddy Nolan’s Broke ( last year over 30 vehicle’s shit the whiskers at this crossing, steep drop into water, this is the deepest crossing on the Telegraph track, use your brains, have a coffee or cup of tea and watch the others cross first, always get someone to walk it, brake out the 4x4 bra or drop sheet over the front of the vehicle, second low gentle get a bow wave going, snorkel a must have item on this crossing.)

Take track on the left to the Northern Bypass Road to the Jardine River crossing. Lunch time. ( please take note not to lose your ferry ticket as it covers your permit for the area, also make sure you have cash to pay for your ticket,) travel remaining 50ks to Bamaga ( this was the worst section of road for corrugation’s.) one hour later arrive at Bamaga. Travel into the main street for supplies at the supermarket and the pub for coldies. You can then fuel-up at the BP servo on the outskirts of town towards Punsand Bay Resort. After refuelling then travel another 24ks north to Punsand Bay Resort. You made it! Set-up camp, shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relive beverages, followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 7. Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Cape York (the tip) yee-haa baby, you made it!

Travel 9ks to the car park at the Tip (take drinks and ware good joggers/sandshoes for the walk up and over the rocks whilst walking to the tip, get that famous photo) pack a lunch and soak up the experience for the morning. Head back to camp whilst checking out the various WW2 aircraft wrecks sites scattered around the Cape. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with copious amounts of Tip driving stress relive beverages, also followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Regards,

RLI
:rambo::rock:

Nismos Cape York trip planner part 2

Day 8. 8.00am start

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Thursday Island

Travel by boat to Thursday Island and do a bit of sightseeing for the day! That evening continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of Thursday Island stress relive beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session.

Day 9. 9.00am start

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Vrilya Point via Northern Bypass Road

Conduct thorough vehicle checks; i.e.
1. Check engine oil, coolant level and check for any oil leaks
2. Check font-end components and rear-end suspension components (i.e. check that all nuts are all tight.)
3. Check vehicle for any broken or loos parts (fix accordingly)
4. Check tyres and tyre pressures (especially when cold)
5. Check roofs and storage items are secured properly

This should be part of your daily routine check first thing after breakfast!
Travel south back to Jardine River crossing, from their travel another 27ks then turn right heading west towards the coast. About 4ks in you will cross an old log bridge over Crystal Creek, morning tea brake and time to cool off and take a dip in Crystal creek. (Take care crossing old dilapidated bridge; get someone to guide your wheel placement when crossing bridge.) Travel another 23ks until you come to a junction, turn right and head north up the beach about 8ks until you come to an old light house ship wreck. Great camping and fishing around here. Set-up camp and cast a few lures or baits into the waters and catch dinner. A good feed and several driving stress relive beverages whilst watching the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual bullshit session.

Day 10. Wake-up anytime you-like!

Vrilya Point

Wake up to the spectacular sunrise and start fishing or just explore the region. A good feed followed by several fishing relive beverages whilst watching again the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual fishing story bullshit session.

Day 11. 9.00am start

Vrilya Point to Lockhart River via both Northern and Southern Bypass Roads

Have breakfast after waking up to another spectacular sunrise, conduct vehicle checks and travel back to Northern Bypass Road and head south to Fruit Bat Falls for morning tea and another cool swim in the falls. Travel from Fruit Bat Falls to Bramwell Junction for lunch stop. From Bramwell Junction travel about 62ks to an intersection and turn left into the Frenchman’s road turn off, this is about 2ks north of Batavia Downs home stead.

Travel about 36ks until you come to the dreaded Pascoe River crossing, (take care when crossing the Pascoe River, she can be at times fast flowing and deep, walk this crossing first, both steep approach and departure angles.) After crossing the Pascoe travel 16ks to the Mt Tozer look-out. Lunch stop, after lunch travel to Lockhart River and set-up camp either here or travel another 20ks to Chili Beach camp ground. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of Frenchman’s Road driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another 4x4 bullshit session.

Day 12. Wake-up anytime you-like!

Chili Beach/Lockhart River

Explore the region or just fish the area which is fantastic. Relax and have a few coldies and watch the spectacular sunset. That evening the usuals shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed with the usual Chili Beach/Lockhart River stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it yet again ) another fishing bullshit session!

Day 13. Wake-up anytime you-like!

Lockhart River to Hann River Roadhouse via both the Portland and the Peninsula Development Roads

Travel 100ks via Portland Road to the Peninsula Development Road turn off, turn left and head 36ks to Archer River Roadhouse for a lunch stop. Travel 235ks from Archer River Roadhouse down the Peninsula Development Road to Hann River Roadhouse and set-up camp. After travelling the bumpy, dusty corrugated road time to shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed forced down with numerous amounts of Peninsular Development Road 4x4 driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another bullshit session.

Day 14. 8.00 am start

Hann River Roadhouse to Cairns via both the Peninsula Development Road and the Kennedy Hwy

Travel 138ks from Hann River Roadhouse to Lakeland for morning tea stop. Then travel a further 115ks to Mary River Falls & pools at Mt Carbine lunch stop and swimming. Travel 100ks to Cairns, I hope you enjoyed your trip!

Regards,

RLI
:rambo::deadhorse::adminpower:

holy macs nows thats an itinerary! thanks a million RLI!!!! but u missed out what toilet paper to use ;-p

no campers trailers
yes we have kids coming along
we like fishing but no tinnies
we would like to take the OTT but the wives have heard stories and pretty much said $&*%ing no way!!!

thanks again RLI bloody perfect itinerary

and thankyou Robbo

Last edited:
Hey RLI,

Can we still make it through OTT with 2" lift and decent At's and no winch?

if not then is it possible to get from Bramwell junc to elliot falls via PDR?

thanks in advance

Hey RLI,

Can we still make it through OTT with 2" lift and decent At's and no winch?

if not then is it possible to get from Bramwell junc to elliot falls via PDR?

thanks in advance

G,day Nismo,

You will not have a problem with the Navara mate with what you have suggested above.

However, if the track is severely chewed up and wet, you will need someone with a winch.

I would not contemplating doing the Telegraph track unless you have a snorkel or a car bra for the serious water crossings.

Not a problem getting to either Fruit bat or Elliot falls via Developmental road. You can drive the Developmental road in your average 2wd car.

As for the toilet rolls, f--k that! theres plenty of grass and leaves!

Regards,

RLI
:saberfighting:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back