Long Range Tank, Thinking Outloud

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonk8

Reaction score
Last time I was under my nav I noticed a large void of space on the passenger side opposite the fuel tank on the drivers side. I was thinking, would it be possible to mount a standard D22 fuel tank on this side of the vehicle and have two tanks? Obviously the exhaust is in the way, but if this could be modified, it looks as if it would fit. I am assuming the tank is mounted on the passenger side in left hand drive versions of the Navara. What would be the necessary clearance between the exhaust and the fuel tank? If this can be solved, it may be a cheap alternative to the seemingly very expensive replacement main tanks. Any thoughts?

I plan on doing what you've suggested. You can route the exhaust along the top of the drive shaft. The required clearance for the vibrations of the exhaust is equal to the range of movement it presently has thanks to the rubber mounts. In terms of heat, just fabricate a heat shield. Do you have a petrol or diesel Navara?

If your keen to do it you can have my old fuel tank.

I have a long range tank as I haven't got the time to do 2 tank's, if I did I would definetly do it.

Dave.

ProNav, mine is a diesel. I have looked into the replacement tanks but about $1200 bucks for about 2.5 jerry cans of extra fuel seems a bit steep.

Dave, thanks for the offer, I would be keen to get your tank, but postage may be prohibitive. What is your postcode? I will get a quote from auspost.

In regard to the plumbing, i guess the easiest way would be to connect a 'balance' pipe between the lowest points on each tank, but this would mean crossing the drive shaft with a fuel line and putting non standard holes in the tanks which i'm not all that keen on. Any other thoughts?

You have a few options. There is no booster pump in the diesel tank, it's simply under the vacuum generated by the injector pump and there's a limited change in elevation. Your best option would be to investigate how Patrol cab chassis systems work as they have two tanks from factory. I wouldn't be surprised to find it's just a solenoid operated valve on a tee between the two tanks, though you'd want to be very careful not to have any air leaks.

Other options include using a switch operated booster pump to fill the main from the sub, just tee into the return line.

Attaching fittings to the tank is bloody hard. Existing fittings are brazed in and the tank is aluminised steel so you can't just weld it or anything. There will be some pressure at the bottom too so leaks are more likely. As opposed to the fittings at the top which see limited contact with liquid. You could use a threaded fitting between the two drain ports but I'd be concerned about how much junk you'd stir up, there are baffles in the tank to try and stop the engine ingesting solid contaminants.

Where are you located, simon? I have a spare tank too but getting it to fit could be an exercise.

Simon my postcode is 2323.

How's the truck mate since the engine got rebuilt.

Dave.

there is a fair bit of room in that spot and the exhaust can be easily moved as that is where my gas tank is located.
would you just have a fuel pump in the other tank, and pump it to the main tank?
and just have it work in a switch?
cause cutting fuel line's and wiring the fuel pump's up right would be fun.

Is it possible to get a fuel pump that works in a similar way to the injection pump? ie if I was to mount an electric fuel pump on the standard outlet of the fuel tank (external to the tank on the fuel line) and pump it into the return line of the existing fuel tank via a check valve to stop the fuel returning to the aux tank.

ProNav, I am in Adelaide SA.

Dave, believe it or not, the engine still isn't back from the rebuilder. I am beyond annoyed with this now and have just realised it will be running when its running.

Just called them, they have finished it, just waiting to finalise the account, might hear back from them tomorrow, hopefully I don't have to bend over too much further!

What is the approximate size and weight of the empty tank?

Last edited:
you can use a small pump like a facet to pump from sub tank. don't really need one way valve for the return line. only other thing you may want is fuel guage. have a look at the patrol sub tank setup.
or just fit a cross over pipe at the bottom of the tanks.

Latest posts

Back