The Clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
The D40 is at 28,000 k's and I'm off on a trip at the end of March, we may do around 8000k's. From what I've read that should put us right in the range of when people have trouble with their clutch.

I've had no problem up to this point and drive with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy.

Should I be worried??

Ive almost got 80,000k on mine, and i havent had a problem with the stock clutch at all... not when towing the 6m boat either. But i like to take it easy, i dont think ive ever taken it over 3000rpm...

I have done 50k, so far no probs at all (touch wood)

Oh and thats using it as my work ute, allot of off road work inc a few trips to the stocton dunes, towing a box trailer from time to time and towing my mates Hilux's every time we go wheeling.... hahaha

Last edited:
Matt, the clutch problems are specifically due to the clutch getting too hot. If you're not in the habit of riding the clutch, you probably won't have a problem with it.

That should have read, I don't tow anything with the vehicle. Nope I don't think I ride the clutch, it's either in or out. I'm pretty gentle taking off in first but I don't think excessively.

I wish I could double clutch the thing sometimes, but the throttle's held open. I'm reckoning that's something to do with emmissions and stuff.

Last edited:
ive gotten 207 000 out of mine and im just now upgrading to a 4 terrain clutch as i run 33s and its starting to get a little shudder about it ,its performed very well for its age i believe considering i see so many other d40s with clutch problems early on

65k on the clock, my D40 clutch feel like a 40kg press! No judder or slip, just plain heavy?!Is it due for replacement?

65k on the clock, my D40 clutch feel like a 40kg press! No judder or slip, just plain heavy?!Is it due for replacement?

Maybe not the clutch itself - if it's worn you'll notice the clutch slipping, particularly in gears above 2nd when you put your foot to the boards and the turbo kicks in.

I once had a motorbike whose hydraulic fluid had turned to jelly. It was really difficult to squeeze the brakes and we had to replace the flexible hoses (the rest we successfully cleaned up). Hopefully that's not what's happened to yours!

There could be something wrong with the linkage of the pedal itself too. Have you had a look at the pedal?

Thanks for the comments Old.Tony. The mechanic apparently greased some pedal thingy during the last service but alas not much difference. Its about twice the effort as compared to new.The plot thickens..

Latest posts

Back