dump pipe upgrade/remove turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
did the repair today to fix the broken studs so i thought i better put a bit up about what to look for when fitting dump pipe or removing turbo.

while you can get the stock dump/cat off without removing turbo, its not recommended simply because the odds are your going to break a stud off which means removing the turbo to fix it.

its fairly straight forward to get the turbo off the ZD30 motor so i won't go through all the "follow your nose" details.
don't forget to unbolt the oil drain before undoing manifold bolts.
i left a rear bolt in and a bit of wood under the turbo so the turbo won't fall down and crush the oil tube when you undo the bolts. (especially so if you have the heavy cat still bolted on)

working in a bit of lube can help amazingly well.

AFAIK these have titanium studs which have a nasty habit of grabbing then breaking. hence why you tend to break them off.

once you have got the turbo off, remove any broken studs and clean threads with tap to remove any broken bits still left in.

if at all possible fit new dump pipe on while turbo is out of the vehicle. it can be done while turbo is in there but getting to one of the rear bolts is very tight.
odds are you will break a stud off the turbo-dump pipe when removing the cat hence why its best to do it on the bench rather than in car. remove the broken stud and tap out the threads.

re installation tip...do not tighten the main turbo-manifold bolts up tight, keep them loose so you can line up the drain bolts. once oil drain is bolted in then bolt up turbo.
don't forget to bolt up new dump pipe support bracket. you may have to bend the bracket to suit. it needs to line up spot on. try not to have any tension on it when its all bolted up. this will help stop the dump pipe cracking.

obviously big thing here is your going to do an exhaust upgrade at home is having replacement studs, gear to remove broken studs and clean up the threads.
if at all possible use titanium nuts/bolts as they are less likely to vibrate loose.

Last edited:
When I changed my dump pipe, I left the turbo in place and removed the studs using the double nut trick. The standard dump with cat was then easy to remove. I was lucky enough not to break any studs though. On reinstallation, I replaced all the studs and nuts with high tensile bolts.

lucky, very lucky.
tried it that way but broke 2 studs. broke another stud today removing the turbo.

wow you guy's are unlucky,
when we took mine out to smash the inside of the cat out it was fairly easy.
undid all the bolt's one stud came with it but we just put itt back in there and it was all good.

i'm suprised the nuts came off. i think they are one way nuts (notice the crimps on the end) so they don't come loose.
the only time the nuts came off was when the studs stripped and jammed.

for the life of me i can't get the bottom 2 long studs out. Tried the double nut thing and it just slowly undos the nuts. I have them very tight together and have even damaged the nuts with the force of the spanner. Anyone got ideas? i am thinking i;m going to have to get a nut welded onto the stud to undo. Anyon eused those stud removers that look like sockets? would they even fit in that small space to the firewall? I really don't want to snap the stud. I had all the exhaust off and then couldn't get studs out! put old back on before wife got home lol. new exhaust is hidden in manhole! oh all nuts came off ok though.

Last edited:
When I changed my dump pipe, I left the turbo in place and removed the studs using the double nut trick. The standard dump with cat was then easy to remove. I was lucky enough not to break any studs though. On reinstallation, I replaced all the studs and nuts with high tensile bolts.

What size bolts did you use mate? what type should be used to prevent rust/bolt seizing. I tend to use anti-sieze on all bolts anyway.

sorry mate, can't remember, it was so long ago. Make sure you use high tensile bolts and a bit of anti seize helps.

if you got the nuts off then pull the dump to the firewall and cut the studs off. once the dump is out you can get a pair of vice grips onto the stud.

you may have to resort to pulling the whole turbo out and drill/tap the studs out.

Yeah vice-grips may be your friend here, only thing is if you use them you are beyond the point of no return, the studs will be damaged so you can't reuse them to refit the old zorst if you can't get them out :(

I reused mine because I was lazy :p

My new dump pipe came with two new shorter studs and two new hex head bolts, didn't use them though.

yeah i don't care if i damage them as i will use the shorter ones. But if i cut them off i am worried a pair of vice grips may not be enough to get them off. I guess i could weld a big nut onto the cut stud as it won't have a thread in the middle section. anyone on the gold coast have a welder :)

I paid someone to change my exhaust system as I couldn't be bothered and didn't have the time.

Dave.

had a 2nd try...just needed to buy a decent set of vise-grips...cheapos i had weren't up to it. easy when i got a good set. job done. only thing now when i start the car or get right up her off the mark it rattles somewhere. will look into

Latest posts

Back