Brake caliper touching wheel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco12

Reaction score
Just taken my weekend wheels and tyres off and have noticed that it looks like the brake caliper has just touched the inside of the wheels. Not enough to damage them, only took the paint off in about 5 places arround the wheel.
The wheels are a 16x8 +20 made by dynamic wheels.
Anyone had this problem, and how did you fix it?
Should I replace the wheels or take some metal off the caliper?

Um. I'd be worried as to why the hell your rim or brake caliper flexed enough for them to touch. There's a good 1-1.5inch gap between the caliper and my 16" rims.

Post a few pics so we've a better idea. Are you sure the caliper touched? Does the caliper have makes on it to indicate it was the culprit?

Is the caliper marked in any way, If not i think it was just mud or a stick maybe jammed in between wheel and caliper

not sure on the caliper yet, thats my next place to have a look and will do in the next day or two. i am hoping it is something like the mud stuck, but its odd that it did it to both wheels. although i did run the rears on the front last weekend and they dont have the same markings, so i will have to investigate some more.
the reason i asked was i have been told some steel wheels even in a 16" will foul the brakes and i was wondering if anyone had come accross this and if so what brand they used.

loco12 said:
not sure on the caliper yet, thats my next place to have a look and will do in the next day or two. i am hoping it is something like the mud stuck, but its odd that it did it to both wheels. although i did run the rears on the front last weekend and they dont have the same markings, so i will have to investigate some more.
the reason i asked was i have been told some steel wheels even in a 16" will foul the brakes and i was wondering if anyone had come accross this and if so what brand they used.

Nah mate, 16 inch wheels fit like oversized gloves. The stock alloys on a d22 are 16inch +40 offset. And I plan on going down to 15inch +15 or so when I go for a tyre change next.

The ONLY reason your wheels would ever foul your brakes would be when you physically flex/bend the rim, and depending on the material of your rim, you'll either permanently bend it, or crack it through the guts.

Last edited:
The ONLY reason your wheels would ever foul your brakes would be when you physically flex/bend the rim, and depending on the material of your rim, you'll either permanently bend it, or crack it through the guts.

even though that is true, it doesn't mean the wheels were perfectly round when they were manufactured. also, some steel wheels may have a smaller internal diameter compared to the factory alloy wheels. my guess would be "high" spots on the inside of the wheels if it has touched only on a few places around the wheel...

Through experience I know that if any part of your rim were infact fouling the calipers through a manufacturing mismatch, you would know before your wheel had done a full revolution, the sound of dim scraping caliper is a sound not easily missed.

depends how much noise your tyres make and how badly the rim is scraping i guess...

we should know soon enough if they were though because there should be paint marks on the calipers...

Mate I had the same problem on my d40 when I replaced the brake pads it made the calipers to wide for the rim ! ( aftermarket steely ) The mec had to grind down the disc if I recall correctly.

Had a look at the caliper and it has been touching the wheel but only just! Bods is 100% right on the internal diameter of the dynamics being much smaller than both the factory alloys and steel spare and another factor is the brake pads are almost warn, if they were new I probably would have noticed a lot easier, either by the noise or physically feeling it hit the caliper.
So anyone know 100% which steel wheels have a bigger internal diameter in a 16x8 +20?

Back