Looking to get a on road off road gps .

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
Hey guys need a half decent one use it for work I love Tom Tom but I also want off road maps now aswell but I herd some off the gps that have off road maps are not that grate ? Recommend . Cheers :redcool:

Looking at buy one myself check list is- a 5" screen, off road maps, and somthing that does work well in cities and highways, as I will be using it in Canada and US latter this year. So maps for there as well. Don't need bluetooth, and some of the other wizzy things.
Navaman MY75T fits the bill but I see it has quite bad reviews.
I like the look of the TomTom, people that have them really like them.
What about the Garmin, anyone have one, do you like it, what are the good and bad points?

Me too. I want one but don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a Navman after all the negative things I have read about various models.

Garmin seems to be the best of the big 3 (I have a Tom Tom) but I don't know how suitable any of them are for remote locations & off road.

Also not sure if there are advantages in having something like the Hema Navigator and the price is a little off putting.

Aldi 5" $99 a few weeks ago.

Hema 4WD maps DVD you can pick on the net for around $170 new (or i have the 2011 DVD for sale for $80) You'll need oziexplorer installed so you'll need a little computer know how you'll end up with a GPS the same as the HEMA but at a 1/4 of the price.

Last edited:
I've got a guy who sells Vms 700hd for $699. 7" hd screen, on and offroad maps

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 50 from JB HIFI for $137. It comes with the latest City Navigator Maps. 5" touchscreen but none of the other crap like bluetooth etc, I don't need it. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=92845

I "found" some mapsets online:

Garmin OZTOPO V3.0
Garmin TOPO Aus & NZ V3.0
Shonkymaps 3.51
Tracks4Australia Pro V1.2
Contours Australia 5m

I have them all running on the Garmin and each is selectable so you can run them in any combination.

Awesome setup, and at only $137 who can complain?

I'm using a Garmin Montana 650t. Good but pricey.

I reckon these are one of the most versatile GPS's one the market..... U can download/upload tracklogs (+ routes) to the unit. U can colour code your various tracks to make it easier to tell the difference between multiple tracks..... U can zoom in for closer details unlike Ozi-explorer which becomes pixelated the more u zoom in. The tracklog continues to record u tracks unlike the Hema Navigator that when u have to switch between Ozi and the City Nav "I-go" (I think thats what it's called) you lose the continuation of your tracklog.....

The downside.... the costs: Initial Purchase cost + the Map updates (Austopo every 2yrs or so) + purchase of Aus/NZ CityNav maps for better navigating around the cities....

For those people use to using Ozi, they won't know the difference, but if u are use to Garmin Digitised Maps and u switch to the scanned in Paper maps for Ozi.... u will know what I'm talking about.....

just my opinion though

I have a garmin nuvi 1490 bought it last year and as a bonus it came with the garmin aus topo on card for free, The maps seem to show every track i have been on in the wombat so far

Wouldnt ever go near a navman again....

have a Garmin: Etrex Legend
: Oregon 450 and Topo Aus
: Nuvi 1490 and Topo Aus

those hema 3 in 1's look ok too.

This is one of the few Garmin's that u can upload other people's tracklogs into. I don't believe there is any Nuvi models that will allow to upload tracklogs into, only Routes....

Thats cause the handheld is a mapping gps and the nuvi's are automotive gps's, but they can still have the Topo Aust loaded.

My version of garmin,s austopo is on sd card and cant be added to, But my understanding is if you get austopo on disk You then put logs or mark tracks then put on sd card and into your garmin, The downside to the disk version is it is registered to the one unit, The sd version cant be altered but i can put it into another garmin as its not locked to a single unit

You can load them into basecamp then transfer them across.

Have u tried this? I usually use Mapsource and u can transfer/upload the files to your Nuvi, but that doesn't mean that u will see(view) them on your unit.... Basecamp is just an updated version of the old mapsource program. Routes - Yes.... Tracklogs - No. (I would be interested to here if u have had success in doing it through..... What Nuvi model do u have? I use a Nuvi500 which is probably a few years old now, but a mate of mine has a current Nuvi 2460 (?) model I think and it won't allow tracklog uploads either...

Sending the tracklogs to your SD card will not work either from what I've tried, the end result will be the same...... it will seem as it has uploaded them but u will not be able to view them on your Nuvi unit....

Glad to hear from anyone who owns a Nuvi and that has had success in this though..... as I might be doing something wrong, but the info I have and the people I've spoken to, have all pretty much said the same thing..... NO, u can't upload tracklogs to the Nuvi units.....

Latest posts

Back