Where is my back up relay - 2010 ST?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aka_db

Reaction score
Where is my Reverse light relay - 2010 ST?

Hi All,

I have been looking through my manual (Aug 2005 - CDR, which is the latest I have been able to find), but this does not seem to cover my version of this vehicle. It shows the back up relay in a place and with other things that are not the same as my vehicle. Has anyone got an idea where I can find this unit, I cant seem to find anything that is labelled as this, neither relay nor fuse?

I am thinking I might have to drop in to the dealer's and ask....

Thanks, DB.

Last edited:
There should be a bunch of them in a rectangular enclosure behind the battery (between the battery and the brake fluid reservoir).

I don't recall there being a LOT of difference in layout between the ST and the STX.

What do you mean by "back-up relay"? Do you mean a spare relay? Or do you mean the relay for your reverse lights?

I'm a little :confused:

If as joshman says you're looking for the reverse relay in the 09 it's between the battery and the firewall like tony suggests. I can't find the pic I once posted on here but from memory it's the relay closest to the firewall on the inside of the box and it's about 2 inches square. It's a shit of a thing to get out and in mine it's a light blue wire that provides the power down to the tail lights which is where I spliced the reversing screen into.

Hi All,

I am meaning the Reverse Lights relay as you have suggested.

I had seen mention of the relay being the one at the rear, but this doesn't seem to be the way my car is. The only relay in the fuse box behind the battery is for the horn. On the opposite side there are a heap more relays, bnut none listed for the reverse lights. I did find a light blue wire here though on the rear most relay (T/F Motor) but his wire does not get power when I select reverse.

From the label in the lid, I didn't really expect that it would. I think that I am just going to have to call the dealer and see if they can help.

Cheers.

I know of no reversing relay at the rear, I only know of the one under bonnet which makes more sense than having it at the rear anyway.

According to the manual it's E79 "Back Up relay"

reverse_relay.gif

Added some pics of my relays..

Hi Krafty,

I meant the rear one as you have shown in your pic... not the rear of the car, sorry for the confusion. I don't have a relay box like that, mine are completely different. My manual, shows the same as what you have shown here. I fear that the electrics might be a little different.

I have put up a couple of pics showing my relay boxes...

Cheers.

Attachments

• P4190036 (640x480).jpg
    P4190036 (640x480).jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 97
  • P4190037 (640x480).jpg
    P4190037 (640x480).jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 99
  • P4190038 (640x480).jpg
    P4190038 (640x480).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 110
  • P4190039 (640x480).jpg
    P4190039 (640x480).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Looks too me like you've got the left hand side of the above image. You could always try popping the rear relay, turning the key to "on" without starting and select reverse (foot on the brake to get it our of park). If the reversing lights don't come on you've found the fuse, if not maybe Nissan can help.

I did try and get a multi meter in to the plug on that relay, it has a light blue wire but doesn't fire up in reverse. Might try your suggestion, though don't hold much hope, the lid says T/F MOTOR 2 for that relay? Not sure I even know what that is..

Cheers

Are you trying to find the reversing wire for a camera?

Chances are the labeling is correct and that they have moved it but no ones mentioned this changed previous. Also the light blue wire I found is not the same one as listed in the book so don't take the colour codes as gospel.

I have fitted a couple of cameras one for when the back is fully loaded and one for reversing safety and hooking up the trailers. I have one powered by manual switch and one by power to reverse lights directly. I am now just trying to find a way to power up the head unit without having to switch it on, namely whenever I put the car in to reverse. I don't need to do this, but it would just finish the job off nicely.

Cheers.

I tried that relay, definitely not the right one. I will call Nissan in the morning.

Thanks for your help.....

I was tempted to run my screen power from the rear until I did find that relay. Figured I was already running a few cables for aux power and video etc another wouldn't hurt. Be interesting too see where they have stuffed it though.

I called Nissan this morning, they suggest that there is no relay for the reverse light (meaning, they can"t find one listed in the manual). They advised that I should try using the swicth on the gearbox, but I doubt that would work as that would modt likely be swith to ground. I asked where the manual says the fuse is and they said, in the Super Multi Junction box. I will have a look and see if I can find this, maybe I can get my power from there, depends if it is constant or switched...

The fun continues.....

What we need is a Nissan insider to look. Where the hell is Fatboy when he's needed, lazy bastard is probably on holidays.

Found the fuse, unfortunately power is constant as I thought it would be. I am wishing I had run an additional wire when I ran the originals. Not the end of the world, but time for a rethink, worst case, can always re-run the wiring, but haven't given up just yet.

There are several relay's in the super multi box as well, but no labeling as to what they are for, not easy suckers to get out either, almost seem to need three hands....

Db.

Yeah I remember my reversing relay was a bitch to get out.

Shouldn't the relay be constant power one side and on demand on the out going side so that the lights only come on when the relay is selected, i.e. the reverse gear is selected?

Where is this "super multi box" located?

If you have constant positive power on the relay and the change is made when the gearbox activates the earth, then you have the solution.

Obtain a 20A (or so) relay. It will have 4 numbered connectors underneath it. Connect these as follows:

Pin 30 - to the positive supply, with a suitable fuse in-line (eg for a reversing camera, 3A is probably enough).

Pin 87 - will be the positive output that you are seeking

Pin 85 - connect this to pin 30.

Pin 86 - connect this to the wire from the gearbox.

Pins 85 and 86 drive the coil inside the relay. Pins 30 and 87 are the power input and switched output. Instead of driving the relay with a constant earth and a switched positive, you're just doing it the other way around. It will make no difference, but you will have a switched positive feed to do with as you need.

Problem is, still can't actually find the relay. Only found the fuse....

I am sure that if I can find the relay, I can sort out the correct wire to jumper. I did think of just running a new relay to supply the head unit, and use the switch on the gearbox to control it,, though I was hoping to do it sompler, about ready to give up though and probably just do that, so long as I can get to the switch, I haven't looked for it yet, might get under the truck tomorrow.

Super multi junction box is on the passenger side right back against the firewall, you can see it in the pictures I put up, sits down in a crap position that makes it awkward to release the tabs, and not enough cable length to pull it out to make it easy to work with either. Once you get the lid off and turn it over, there are probably about 12 or so fuses, 6 relays and stacks of wires, but only the fuses are labelled :(

Thanks for the ideas..

Back