ka24e swap to td27t questions (canada)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehtrain

Reaction score
I'm first time poster. I've been searching around lots on info on swapping my ka24e with a td27t. I'm a mechanic in canada and love my nissans, and love working on them and finding new stuff about em. I'm very mechanicly inclined and willing to go as far as I have to.

I have a canadian model 1992 d21 with a ka24e, 5spd, 4x4 king cab.

I have found many pictures and various info on models and types of td27t's. I just need some clairification of some details. also if anyone knows who export diesel engines/driveline/parts.

correct me if im wrong but a td27t2 model has the same trans and belhousing as my ka24e? I'm specifically looking for a turbo diesel with none electronic injection pump. info is hard to find one these swaps.

if the ka24e 4x4 block belhousing doesn't work which trans does the td27t use? fs5w71c or rs series trans from the vg engines. I also have several trans with ca18det and ka24e from 180sx/240sx rwd belhoising. the only differences I seem to find between what seems to be 2 different belhousings is the starter bolts to the trans or the trans bolts thru to the starter. are the t-case's the same between 4cyl/diesel/v6? including bolt patterns

all the fwd,240sx,ca18det all appear to use trans thru to starter. where as my ka24e in my 4x4 bolts starter thru to trans

i will also need to gut the fuel pump and plumb in a small sump hose onto only fuel pump sender (keeps fuel level working) and put in a small inline filter with lift from tank? or does the td27t not need a lift pump?

also I hear the tachometer needs to modified. how is this done? i can't seem to find much for definait answers

any help is appreciated!!!

I'm first time poster. I've been searching around lots on info on swapping my ka24e with a td27t. I'm a mechanic in canada and love my nissans, and love working on them and finding new stuff about em. I'm very mechanicly inclined and willing to go as far as I have to.

I have a canadian model 1992 d21 with a ka24e, 5spd, 4x4 king cab.

I have found many pictures and various info on models and types of td27t's. I just need some clairification of some details. also if anyone knows who export diesel engines/driveline/parts.

I don't know of anyone who exports bits full time from Australia to Canada but I can arrange an export package with everything you'll need. Might be expensive from Australia though, you might be better approaching a company that imports cars into Canada from Japan.

correct me if im wrong but a td27t2 model has the same trans and belhousing as my ka24e? I'm specifically looking for a turbo diesel with none electronic injection pump. info is hard to find one these swaps.

Same trans, FS5W71C, different bellhousing. What you want is the TD27T from an 88-96 Terrano, they're mechanical injection with boost compensator. Most of them are auto (RE4R01A), some are manual.

if the ka24e 4x4 block belhousing doesn't work which trans does the td27t use? fs5w71c or rs series trans from the vg engines. I also have several trans with ca18det and ka24e from 180sx/240sx rwd belhoising. the only differences I seem to find between what seems to be 2 different belhousings is the starter bolts to the trans or the trans bolts thru to the starter. are the t-case's the same between 4cyl/diesel/v6? including bolt patterns

The TD27T can use either the FS5W71C which it comes with, it's a bit of a weak box, are you going to use it to tow? or the FS5R30A gearbox which is bigger and much stronger, that comes attached to the QD32 atmo diesel. The transfer cases are different between the V6 and the 4cyls - the outer diameter of the socket is the same, but the diameter of the spigot and the spline count is bigger for the V6. The flange pattern is the same.

i will also need to gut the fuel pump and plumb in a small sump hose onto only fuel pump sender (keeps fuel level working) and put in a small inline filter with lift from tank? or does the td27t not need a lift pump?

...there's no lift pump. The injector pump pulls through the filter-primer unit (you'll need one of them) from the tank.

also I hear the tachometer needs to modified. how is this done? i can't seem to find much for definait answers

any help is appreciated!!!

Well, it'd make it easier if you get the wiring harness and diesel tachometer from the donor car. The tachometer uses a different pulse width, and only goes up to 6k. Get the whole instrument cluster, and swap in your MPH speedo (easy). The wiring harnesses are totally different. I guess the only disadvantage is a lot of it would be around the wrong way (LHD vs RHD).

Have you looked into going to South America to source your components?

If you are interested I can put together everything you'll need - basically a half-cut, but all removed from the body and packed tightly together.

... Have you looked at an engine bay photo to determine if your steering shaft will clear the turbocharger?

I'm halfway through this myself. ie, got the engine and gearbox out of the donor, and most of the loom. Having got this far, I'm questioning whether I should have just sucked it up and sold the ute and bought a diesel, although I don't know if that's an option for you in Canada.

You really need a half cut or donor vehicle There is so much that is different between the KA and the TD in the under bonnet stuff like the airbox, pumps etc (not just the engine) and the loom that it is very much not a swap engine over and tidy up a few bits sort of job.

as far as I can tell the td27 and not a td27t was made a nissan/tcm forklifts. I happen to be a forklift mechanic and have not seen one yet. I hope I do... I would buy it in a heart beat.

for standard options in canada d21 was only ka24e or vg30e. mexico I've found some bits of info suggesting the diesel version may have been sold there. I'm currently trying to source one from mexico to see what I can find.

I would consider importing another of the same truck to get a diesel... but they get expensive once there here for only 1 vehicle. then re-sale isnt as good being rhd in lhd country

I would also be interested if your willing to find/source a truck with components I need. I maybe able tyo late driveshafts for v6 in canada to fit everything together. but if i can go to stronger trans then I might aswell. 4cyl here is very uncommon and very rare. I just paid a fortune just to have warranty on the rebuilt 5spd

Last edited:
Come to think of it, by the time you've imported the bits, you could probably have a Duramax to fit up.

Well, it'd make it easier if you get the wiring harness and diesel tachometer from the donor car. The tachometer uses a different pulse width, and only goes up to 6k. Get the whole instrument cluster, and swap in your MPH speedo (easy). The wiring harnesses are totally different. I guess the only disadvantage is a lot of it would be around the wrong way (LHD vs RHD).

Have you looked into going to South America to source your components?

If you are interested I can put together everything you'll need - basically a half-cut, but all removed from the body and packed tightly together.

Im definaitly interested in a kit and what it would cost to do. I love my ka24e and I will turbo it if I don't go deisel. My biggest advantage to a diesel is you can make home made fuel and it will run. a gasoline engine wont. plus the td27t gets like double the mileage my ka gets at like 14mpg. Id like to be atleast 20ish mpg... but that means turbo/compression to get extra power. also canada is metric. everything here is in kmph. not imperial like americians

and yes steering shaft should clear everything... if not i have no problems making it fit haha. ive customed a fair share of things before

I am farmiliar with the fs5w trans being weaker one. I've blown up several in my cars lol. I'm just not sure if the v6 driveline would be cheaper to find here and just save the weight.

i also have an auto but no ecu for a rwd ka. but I think the output is different for a transfer case mounted 4x4's

a DURAMAX? as in gm? bleh.... uber gross, no offence but.... bad engineering... terrible infact, hard as shit to fix because you need to take everything off to fix anything, they are heavy, huge, and extremely poor fuel mileage. not to mention the alison tranny is junk and so is its auto ranging transfer case that comes bolted to it... a 5.9 12valve cummins would be better. but im sure the cummins like the duramax would weigh about 600-700lbs more in driveline total weight with trans etc.

not exactly my idea of simple...easy to fix.... anywhere lol plus im driving a domestic engine in an import... i hate domestic... such poor quality crap lol

Last edited:
Im definaitly interested in a kit and what it would cost to do. I love my ka24e and I will turbo it if I don't go deisel. My biggest advantage to a diesel is you can make home made fuel and it will run. a gasoline engine wont. plus the td27t gets like double the mileage my ka gets at like 14mpg. Id like to be atleast 20ish mpg... but that means turbo/compression to get extra power. also canada is metric. everything here is in kmph. not imperial like americians

I'll send a PM in the next few minutes.

I am farmiliar with the fs5w trans being weaker one. I've blown up several in my cars lol. I'm just not sure if the v6 driveline would be cheaper to find here and just save the weight.

The bellhousing on the V6 is different, so you'd need a gearbox sent over with the kit whether you go with the FS5W71C or the FS5R30A.

i also have an auto but no ecu for a rwd ka. but I think the output is different for a transfer case mounted 4x4's

Yes it is different.

a DURAMAX? as in gm? bleh.... uber gross, no offence but.... bad engineering... terrible infact, hard as shit to fix because you need to take everything off to fix anything, they are heavy, huge, and extremely poor fuel mileage. not to mention the alison tranny is junk and so is its auto ranging transfer case that comes bolted to it... a 5.9 12valve cummins would be better. but im sure the cummins like the duramax would weigh about 600-700lbs more in driveline total weight with trans etc.

not exactly my idea of simple...easy to fix.... anywhere lol plus im driving a domestic engine in an import... i hate domestic... such poor quality crap lol

Point taken, I only suggested that because the holy grail with Cruisers and Patrols over here is to put a Duramax in them.

scored 2 sd25's locally. somehow managed to literally happen across 2 of them. not a td27t... but after an oil pan it will fit in my truck. still a diesel :)

Not sure how well the SD25 takes to a turbo
Don't think they're as strong os the TDs. Others here might know better

well guys turbo the sd22 to approx 7psi here is quite common mod. and apparently aslong as you get the exhaust temps under control they will last a long time still. guys are swapping pistons from sd33t into the sd22 since they are apparently the same but compression ring is steel supported for boost.

ive found some info suggesting that the 86.5-87 sd25 here was actually a marine injection pump and had steel supported compression rings on piston stock. (built for boost) maybe 7-10psi only but it would wake that motor up a ton! specially being a slightly higher compression motor. im pondering finding a slightly thicker head gasket off something. but find info for this stuff is damn near impossible. im going to have to literally pull out old forklift operators manuals to find good rebuild info here.

ive got one motor home. soon as i take it apart i will soon find out! and i will post pics. plus anyone over there wanna ditch spare parts on there old sd25 that everyone wants to get rid of? i know people and my self willing pay pretty good for a swap and extra parts

You sound like you know what you're doing anyway :)
Please keep us up to date with pics, it sounds like an interesting project

The bellhousing on the V6 is different, so you'd need a gearbox sent over with the kit whether you go with the FS5W71C or the FS5R30A.

( i don't know how to do that QUOTE thing.....sorry)

Dion, do you know of a kit to fit a FS5R30A behind a td27T into a D21? With which transfer case?

If so, could you PM me the details.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back