d21 fuel consumption

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehtrain

Reaction score
I search around abit and didnt see any dedicated threads to fuel mileage. I'm interested to know what people accros the equator are getting with their hardbody trucks, pathfinders. (terrano, navara)

92 ka24e 5spd 4x4
235,000kms 4.11 gears, 31x10.5r15 tires, stock suspension with small t bar crank

14.7mpg. or about 16 liters per 100kms

325kms or so on 60l tank

Last edited:
I was getting about that with the old Z24 in my '86.
When I replaced it with a KA24e I was getting closer to 12-13L/100km.
As the gearbox starts making more and more noise, the fuel efficiency is dropping off though :)

my td27 non turbo sits about 11 or so km per litre if i drive it sensibly (slow). as soon as i have to drop into 3rd to get up hills the revs are at 3500+ the fuel economy takes a hit but for the price of fuel i love my diesel. i did a 400km on the dot open road trip and at the end of it fueled up 42litres.

I was getting about that with the old Z24 in my '86.
When I replaced it with a KA24e I was getting closer to 12-13L/100km.
As the gearbox starts making more and more noise, the fuel efficiency is dropping off though :)

really? thats a pretty big difference. first tank i had of the truck it got 19mpg which is like 12.3 l /100km. but the truck was hardly running good. guy sold it to me thinking it had a bent rod, when all it needed was some throttle body gaskets and throttle sensor. I unhooked all the emissions though in fear egr etc was leaking aswell. the s13 (240sx) iowned went up 10mpg by removing all the junk (emissions). I think though because of the intake design from the 240... its possible that having no swirl valve hooked up with the straighter intake/runner set of the truck intake it may not be burning as good as it could be. but then again it also has 235,000kms. even with 140psi compression internally the engine is tired I think.

just always seems to be working hard unless im casually 4wheeling.

I'm also going to try a 240sx ecu swap. I've heard they run better and get better mileage with s13 ecu. but the only differences I know between the truck block and s13 block stock other then belhousing mounts is the cam. and semi float vs full floating wrist pins, and flywheel/starter. so I have a spare s13 ecu i will try soon. all I can think of is the prom must be programmed with different cam curve, and rely's less on emissions.

i did .020 over and uped compression to 10:1 on my s13 ka24e. bumped power to about 180hpish and 200ftlbsish. had rough dyno check way back before other shit. If i over my truck .040 (1mm) and get compression to about 9.5:1 should achieve about the same power with regular fuel

Last edited:
update

well the swirl control valve definailty improved mid and low range torque. and also increased my mpg from 14.3 to 16.5mpg. which is like 14ish l/100km. so thats a pretty big improvement for hooking back up a vaccum pot and some lines. I guess this goes to attest the programming/fuel consumption differences of the s13 ecu and intake vs d21 ecu and intake.

after i do a couple tanks I will swap in the s13 ecu and get another base line for fuel consumption with the d21 intake. it will be interesting to see.

I average about 9-10l per 100k driving round the traps. Once I get on the fwy/hwy, it can be brought down to 8-9l per 100k. I got 670k out of 55L once.

with the old Z24, i was getting real bad fuel usage. was getting about 380km from 80 litres of LPG and about the same from a full tank of petrol. But that engine has gone to heaven. Will see what i get when she's back on the road shortly. :)

Back