tailgate dramas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanz

Reaction score
Hi all,

if anyone could assist me it'd be greatly appreciated. I have a 2004 D22 dual cab, when driven over rough roads (like the bruce highway:p) or any load is placed against it, the tailgate rattles loose and drops open. I've spoken with the local dealership and they suggested checking the body mounts, as it seemed like i may have been getting too much flex (they all appear ok, and no cracks in the panels). I've re-adjusted the tailgate striker plates, but it still does it. oh, and I have a genuine canopy fitted, as he also suggested that removing the head bar may increase flex.

Has anyone else experienced the same fault? I was going to take it back under the extended warranty, but a mate borrowed the car and reversed into a post which would wipe any chance I had there unfortunately. Any help will be appreciated before I go and put a couple of those door lock bolts on to stop it.

Cheers.

Hi all,

if anyone could assist me it'd be greatly appreciated. I have a 2004 D22 dual cab, when driven over rough roads (like the bruce highway:p) or any load is placed against it, the tailgate rattles loose and drops open. I've spoken with the local dealership and they suggested checking the body mounts, as it seemed like i may have been getting too much flex (they all appear ok, and no cracks in the panels). I've re-adjusted the tailgate striker plates, but it still does it. oh, and I have a genuine canopy fitted, as he also suggested that removing the head bar may increase flex.

Has anyone else experienced the same fault? I was going to take it back under the extended warranty, but a mate borrowed the car and reversed into a post which would wipe any chance I had there unfortunately. Any help will be appreciated before I go and put a couple of those door lock bolts on to stop it.

Cheers.

Hi Tanz,
Sorry to here that your having tailgate dramas. My tailgate every now and again seemed to be loose and rattled around but thankfully didn't ever open. I had to get out of the car to open and slam it shut. This seems to fix it for a while but it would eventually start doing it again. I had some luck by adjusting the striker plates which took a while to get right but I haven't had the annoying rattling for sometime. I would try to do this again before putting on the door locks.

Steve

I haven't adjusted my strikes in ages but aren't the cables attached to the strikes? If that is the case every time the tail gate is dropped rather than lowered, or if you stand on it, it more than likely tugs on the strikes pulling them loose again.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I checked everything and nothing seemed overly stressed or worn, so I ended up taking the dodgy route and just fitted a couple of door lock bolts to fix the problem. It doesn't look great (on the inside) but very effective.

Cheers Tanz.

Latest posts

Back