hema gps thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a hema 5ni gps but I would like some feedback on them as its a but of money to lay out.

One thing I've been told with these units is that when u switch between using the Ozi-Explore and the Street Navigation u loose your tracklog.... where as other units like garmin & I assume Tom Tom, u don't. This may not trouble u at all, so don't worry about it.

You can't zoom in too close with Ozi otherwise every thing becomes pixelated.

If I had a choice at that sort of price, I would go the Garmin Montana unit as this has more suitable features that meet what I'm looking for

Looked at the VMS Touring 700HD today at the Caravan & Camping Show.

Price quoted was the RRP of $699 but "free" reverse camera as a show special. I would rather have a discount off the RRP than the crappy CMOS camera supplied.

Must say I liked the big 7" screen although on the down side it would probably crush my skull in an accident.

Others buy a cheap GPS & download off road maps. Good if you know what you are doing.

Interested to see what advice you get.

Last edited:
If I had a choice at that sort of price, I would go the Garmin Montana unit as this has more suitable features that meet what I'm looking for

thing is....the hema is a vehicle type unit and the Montana is a handheld mapping gps

I've got the HEMA. It's a pretty good unit. The maps are extensive and full of info, it's definitely saved me once or twice.

robmacca said:
One thing I've been told with these units is that when u switch between using the Ozi-Explore and the Street Navigation u loose your tracklog.... where as other units like garmin & I assume Tom Tom, u don't. This may not trouble u at all, so don't worry about it.

You can't zoom in too close with Ozi otherwise every thing becomes pixelated.

You have the option of saving your track log, then uploading it to your PC version of OziExplorer (included). And if you need to zoom in an more than 100%, then you're either blind, or attempting tracks too detailed to be shown on the topo maps.

Last edited:
I guess it's what you're use to. I've was introduced to GPS's by a mate who only used Garmin, so that's what I'm use to. I did go into Johnny Appleseed store to check out the new Garmin Montana which I thought would be the next unit I would buy...... if I had the money. While I was there, I did have a little play with the Hema HNI5. Coming from a GPS that has digital mapping to one that is basically a scanned paper map is something that for me would take a bit of getting use to. The advantages of the Digital mapping is no pixelation as u zoom in. You can turn layers off for less detail and there's no blurred writing when zoomed in. We do a fair bit of exploring through the State forests and it is great in this situation. I even use shonkyMaps on the unit as well. From the time u turn the unit on to when u turn it off, u get a complete tracklog but from what I was told by the salesman at Johnnyappleseed Store, u don't get that with the Hema unit if u have to swap between using Ozi for the bush/outback and I think it's called "I go" for city navigating...... but in the end it's what your use to I suppose.... there's 1000's of people using the Ozi-explore in various GPS's. I just prefer to stay with what I'm use to as I also use a similar Garmin program (called Garmin nRoute) on my small laptop for navigating as well.

I've got the HEMA. It's a pretty good unit. The maps are extensive and full of info, it's definitely saved me once or twice.

You have the option of saving your track log, then uploading it to your PC version of OziExplorer (included). And if you need to zoom in an more than 100%, then you're either blind, or attempting tracks too detailed to be shown on the topo maps.

Last edited:
Ah! Now I see the difference! You use a digitized vector based map, as opposed to a raster map. I've gotta check that out sometime.

I can only find a handheld montana. Is that all it is a 4" handheld?

It probably comes under that field.... I got a mate who has one and he has it mounted on his windscreen and bought it 90% time for his 4WD. Multi-purpose use Car-Bushwalking-Built-in 5M Camera for those times a pic is wanted & u 4got your camera.

sounds pretty good to me

They both look the part and would assume that they would be similar to the Hema HNI5, but would also be bound by the things I mentioned b4. The one unit that has a buy now price for $299 gives a good example of what I mean by pixelated when zooming in + if that's the actual way it looks, well for me at least I still prefer the garmin unit..... but in saying that, the price looks good though if u are use to using ozi, then it could be a good.

U would have to find out about after sales service and updating of maps/software

Last edited:
They both look the part and would assume that they would be similar to the Hema HNI5, but would also be bound by the things I mentioned b4. The one unit that has a buy now price for $299 gives a good example of what I mean by pixelated when zooming in + if that's the actual way it looks, well for me at least I still prefer the garmin unit..... but in saying that, the price looks good though if u are use to using ozi, then it could be a good.

U would have to find out about after sales service and updating of maps/software

You're always going to be limited in terms of detail by the scale of the map, its like looking at a normal paper map & moving you're eye closer to it.

For what its worth I have the polaris piece of shit in dash unit running oziexplorer and I don't find it that easy to use, maybe thats the unit, I don't know, i'd have thought the mapping was the same, also I don't find the oziexplorer website much use either

I have the hema and can tell you now it is a total waste of money...Way to dear for what it is. The street nav is crap and so hard to use i often pull the old refidex out from under the seat. the off road maping is basicaly the road atlas on screen. a lot of the time it didn't show tracks in major areas. On a trip to moreten island it did not show any tracks at all. By a cheap garmin street nav and a paper map. cheaper and more usefull.

Looked at the VMS Touring 700HD today at the Caravan & Camping Show.

Price quoted was the RRP of $699 but "free" reverse camera as a show special. I would rather have a discount off the RRP than the crappy CMOS camera supplied.

Must say I liked the big 7" screen although on the down side it would probably crush my skull in an accident.

Others buy a cheap GPS & download off road maps. Good if you know what you are doing.

Interested to see what advice you get.

i believe you still need to purchase an oziexplorer licence with a vms unit which can be fairly expensive, hema's come with it out of the box :)

Latest posts

Back