tub or tray i can't decide

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ate83

Reaction score
I have been tossing up wether or not to ditch the tub and go for a tray on the d22.
i put the car on its side on a recent trip to Wombat State and have damaged the tub. it will be cheeper for me to get another tub and get it painted than repair the one i have, so this has got me thinking. I have my own cabinet making business so the tray would be much better for work, but i have a single cab ute with a big tray at work which does all the heavy lifting anyway. the problem i have is that i don't think that the car will ever look as good as it does with a tub on it. or can it look even better with a nice steel tray? hopefully i will get some help from the guys here on making my decision because i know so many of you have made the change from tub to tray. would be great to see some pics of the navs with trays on them, could be a big help. cheers.

I made my own tray for the nav, made it bigger than normal trays and just the versatility of it has surprised me. I have my 2nd battery under it, room for aux tank and an air compressor. I still think the tub looks better from time to time but the tray has certainly grown on me.

Tub for me, looks better, heaps better. Depends on your needs. For camping and taking green waste to the tip, my main use. I find a tub is better although if your main thing is carting 1200X2400 sheets around definatley the Ugly tray.

can you actually fit more in a tray than a tub, given that you lose the height clearing the wheels with a tray, whereas the tub sits between the wheels?

Look up v-nett or on here he had a nice looking tray and canvas on his nav, I have a tray on mine and fiberglass canopy, it's a hard call I think tub and sports bars look good, but my tray is bigger so more wood or gear on back, plus I am going to put another tank under the front of the tray. For what it's worth I scored my tray and canopy for $122,

thanks for the info guys i might sit on it for a while before making a decision. fleet trades have a nice looking steel tray with aluminium sides. all the steel components of the tray are powdercoated the same colour as the car and it has stainless steel loops front and rear for ladder racks. if i go dawn the tray path this is what i think i'll get a bit pricy but the build quality on these trays are fantastic.

i can fit 3 full size dirtbikes on my tray (2 face forward, one faces back... or vice versa... these are big enduro bikes)
yet to see a tub do it....the wheel wells limit the width, and most have to leave the tailgate down to carry one straight, not on a diagonal.

but if your not carrying big items, from my experience with the old work utes from bieng a storeman/workshop assistant... the tub is more practical, just throw junk and forget. none of these tying things down etc... i lost many tie-downs from accidentally leaving them on the tray and driving off, not to mention time wasted tieing down small boxes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back