radiator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatty

Reaction score
Is the d21 and Terrano radiators interchangable? What is the terrano radiator interchangable with? My one decided it's life is over, I need another.

BTW, I'm in Perth if someone knows somewhere.

the radiators are the same for navara/pathfinder/terrano. the diesel engine radiator is different to the petrol one though.

the radiators are the same for navara/pathfinder/terrano. the diesel engine radiator is different to the petrol one though.
Thanks mate, exactly what I wanted to know. I have the diesel, looks like a bastard to find one.

Any other cars they're interchangable with?

Also, will the auto and manual both fit? There's no tranny cooler so I would presume so.

Last edited:
If you are having trouble finding one, try ebay. I bought one for my td27 on there.

Search "d21 diesel radiator" theres 20 or so of them for sale.

Last edited:
Bought a d21 diesel newie off eBay for 180 delivered. A wrecker wanted $220 for a 2nd hand, and new from Supercheap was $265. Rebuild was $300.

Just to double check, the manual and the auto are the same, yes? They use the oil cooler but no tranny cooler.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "They use the oil cooler but no tranny cooler"

There would be a trans cooler built into the radiator for the auto models, (although a separate aftermarket cooler would be a better option)

The oil cooler in the td27 is behind a cover on the side of block, below the intake manifold. (you cant actually see the cooler itself, as its inside, but its basically a heat exchanger, the coolant takes heat from the oil)

Last edited:
Really? I thought it was an oil cooler in the radiator. Although that doesn't make any sense. The fact it's a tranny cooler makes perfect sense. But the kid from super cheap said he had the same listing for the manual and the auto radiators, and so did a wreckers?

All i have to go on are photos of them for sale on ebay. The ones specified for autos clearly have two brass connection points for a trans cooler on the bottom tank, whereas the manual ones dont.

Also be wary of parts listings in stores like super cheap, i have found incorrect parts specified on numerous occasions, and not for just d21s. Haha.

Got the radiator today in the mail. Of course I was stoked. So I made the swap, and I thought I'd test the thermostat while I'm at it. Popped the thermo in hot water and all good. Putting the bolts back on the thermostat housing, and suddenly 'crack', it cracked along the sides, so now all the water is leaking from it. Real pain in the arse, not what I was looking forward to. I can't find a thermostat housing for cheaper than 60$

oh no good. i guess i'd better be careful when i check my thermostat next. Didnt realise they cracked so easily. how tight were you doing it up? or did the bolt bind or something?

Barely touched it when it cracked. The outlet pipe was fairly mangled with green mould etc, so I cleaned that up a bit. But I placed the three bolts on the thing till finger tight, once it was level with the thermostat, then after about half a turn with a ratchet it just split. I was extremely shocked, I'd barely touched the thing.

Well i dont think i'll ever pull those bolts again. I replaced my thermostat about 6 months ago, the long bolt was tight, and they are apparently prone to shearing, so i was worried enough with that... Now i'm never going near the thermostat again, if i can help it.

Maybe it was a defect in the casting, because it shouldnt crack so easily.

Well i dont think i'll ever pull those bolts again. I replaced my thermostat about 6 months ago, the long bolt was tight, and they are apparently prone to shearing, so i was worried enough with that... Now i'm never going near the thermostat again, if i can help it.

Maybe it was a defect in the casting, because it shouldnt crack so easily.
Warranty claim? Or am I 20 years too late?

I honestly have never seen anything crack like it before. When I replace it tomorrow I'll be sure to take some pictures to show what happened. I'd stick by never touching it again. However it's only natural, since it's aluminium and water is passing through it, science tells us it will break down and fail eventually. It's just Nissan (and every other car company) going cheap on production.

Hopefully I can find one from the wreckers at a nice price.

Hahaha.
Definately get some photos. i'm curious to where it cracked.
Was there any corrosion inside the housing?

Yeah, it was quite tired and disgusting, it was just a matter of time before I faced future issues. Now there's a shiny new one on it!

Plus, my temp gauge is sitting just above C, never been so cold before!

Latest posts

Back