New Tyres for my D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane76

Reaction score
Gday everyone,
After having looked through the multitude of topics on tyres, I have found myself sort of understanding whats going on.
My question is more about what you all think and feel right now.
I think i have narrowed it down to either Bridgestone 694's or BFG all terrains or cooper AT3's.Im also so hoping to go 265/75/16 on my stock non lifted 07 STX (if indeed they dont rub)

I guess what im asking is which way you guys would go faced with the same situation.

Cheers for any help and guidance

I've always liked Bridgestones but most people disagree with me so I think you'll find BFG's and Coopers will be the winners here. Coopers usually top these polls, especially if Dave is on to give them a rev up.

Thank you for your opinion krafty, i used to have the bridgestones on my bosses old work ute but not for very long. I think the reason is they just dont look all that agressive

I don't need tyres yet & unlike some, there is no way I will replace the originals until they are worn out.

When the time comes it will almost certainly be 265/75/16's. Probably Cooper AT3's in light truck construction.

Don't want anything real aggressive & I very much like the ATR's on wifies car. There have been 2 sets of ATR's on her car, the first set being passenger construction, the second set light truck. The light truck have lasted heaps longer. I would never get passenger construction again.

Personally, I went the BFGs in 265/70R16 and when they wear out I'm going back to 255/70R16s - the standard size. I'm losing a little fuel economy and power because of the increased size - plus my odometer is a little out. Since the tyres really don't give me much in extra diff clearance (7mm, I think it is) it isn't enough to worry about.

I have a tremendous dislike for Bridgestone. EVERY Bridgestone tyre I've ever used has either worn out WAY too fast or hasn't gripped or both. I'm sure they do make some tyres that don't suffer from premature wear and can grip slightly better than an oily hand around an eel in a bucket, but I'll never, ever use them myself.

The BFG ATs are good in dry, wet, shallow sand, water crossings (pebbly river bed) and are reasonable in mud. Once the tread starts to fill with that clinging baby-shit-consistency mud though, it's all over - just like it'd be for most ATs. Road noise is acceptable on most surfaces - only once did I notice it too much, and that was on some fine-aggregate-base bitumen.

I had Cooper ATR's, then ST's and found them to be pretty ordinary in terms of life, and the drop off in grip as they age was bad too. Haven't had the Bridgeys, so I can't comment.
I have Mickey T's ATZ on my Nav now, and can't rate them highly enough. Great on road, excellent offroad, ok in the mud (as good as can be expected for an AT) and at 25k of use so far hardly look worn.

I have BFG ATs on my D40. So far I have done around 25,000 kms on them in most terrains and cant complain. Love them

I've got bfg at's 265/75/16 which will just fit on a standard ute. I've done 68000 km on this set and still got about 15000 left. I've had them on my last 2 items too ( land cruiser and rodeo). Both got excellent km's. Gonna put the bfg km2 muddies on it next and prolly back to standard size. Same as old tony said the 7mm gain doesn't equall the loss in power or economy.

anyone running Mt atz 4 ribs???

yep i have them on my D40 now, they have done 50k and are not yet half worn, they are good all round.
I have had BFG and they are also a great tyre the last set i had i got 120k out of them.

I think the differences between the two are... the mickeys are a more aggressive a/t but are a little noisier once they start to wear,
the BFG's are probably a more consistent tyre as the mickeys get down through the tread they have lost a little bit of grip on the wet black top, but nothing to bad just not quite as good as the BFG's in my opinion.

off road they are both a great tyre but i would say the mickey's are slightly better, which i think is dew to the tread pattern, both have good strong construction and can handle really low pressure quite well.

I will prob get the 4rib atz again as they suit me and how much off road driving i do. Most weekends and school holidays i go bush but i still do plenty of highway km as it is my work ute.

see i guess thats my biggest thing too, being my work ute i do alot of black stuff driving, but some job sites need more than a road tyre plus if we go bush or beach driving.......im getting more confused lol

If you go on the beach, you won't want mud tyres. ATs are okay on loose sand but make sure you have a compressor and deflator with you as they work much better when deflated to around 18psi.

If you go on the beach, you won't want mud tyres. ATs are okay on loose sand but make sure you have a compressor and deflator with you as they work much better when deflated to around 18psi.

I have a set of BFG's on the wifes xtrail and they have been great, been on stockton and the like

I drive around the farm on the tyres that come from the factory and no extra lift, sure I could go further with AT's or better but it goes around the the mountain goats country we call a farm which no real issue and anywhere I can't go is probably somewhere I don't want to be.

When I weigh it up I can get everywhere I need to even when it's muddy and slippery and for that reason replacing tyres with less than 50% wear is a waste of money given they do what I ask of them. When it does come time to replace them I may go for a set of AT's but given that my ute will never be a bush scrubbing extreme machine I don't desperately need them just for a bit of mud and water and bitumen driving.

Now if someone could develop a tyre that doesn't spray cow shit up onto the panels I might consider changing tyres.

I have a set of BFG's on the wifes xtrail and they have been great, been on stockton and the like

I drove my Forrestor around the dunes at Robe in SA on standard factory tyres. Once again not extreme 4wding, but a family AWD car in the sand and on the beaches. Think about what you do, how you do it and sometimes you may not need to go over the top with your purchases.

I drive around the farm on the tyres that come from the factory and no extra lift, sure I could go further with AT's or better but it goes around the the mountain goats country we call a farm which no real issue and anywhere I can't go is probably somewhere I don't want to be.

When I weigh it up I can get everywhere I need to even when it's muddy and slippery and for that reason replacing tyres with less than 50% wear is a waste of money given they do what I ask of them. When it does come time to replace them I may go for a set of AT's but given that my ute will never be a bush scrubbing extreme machine I don't desperately need them just for a bit of mud and water and bitumen driving.

Now if someone could develop a tyre that doesn't spray cow shit up onto the panels I might consider changing tyres.

HAHAHAHA @ cow shit, and i wish my tyres had 50% left im just scraping past and with all the wet stuff we have been having its time to do something about it. I dont want mud terrains either tony just at's which is what i thought the atz's were

My point was more that it's really worth checking what you do before you make a big purchase, if you don't need AT's, muddies, or the like they might be a waste of money.

Many people have told me that I'd never get around the farm on the factory Continentals with no lift and sure if it's wet as a shag and the cows have been churning up the paddocks chances are I'm not going to get through the cattle yards, but without a lift and serious muddies neither will half the heroes, but then again who wants to dig up the sites they have to work around just for a bit of fun, easier to avoid digging up the shit and drive around it where the ute has no issues.

If you're into offroad bashing then fair enough lifts and big meaty tyres help but for a little bit of mud, sand an the occasional wet stuff you might find the extra cost of anything more than standard tyres wasted.

Not sure what sort of building sites you need to traverse but I don't know too many builders around here who have meaty tyres on work utes.

see i guess thats my biggest thing too, being my work ute i do alot of black stuff driving, but some job sites need more than a road tyre plus if we go bush or beach driving.......im getting more confused lol

Mate, as i said both tyres are great, so you cant go wrong really.
I would way up how much off road work you do, if its 50% both on and off then go for a more aggressive A/T(maybe even a M/T), BUT if your off road less then that go for an A/T like the BFG as they really are great all rounder and you will get your moneys worth in wear out of them.
The next thing is, if you only go off road for a weekend or two once a year then you would more than likely be better off with a H/T

Latest posts

Back