Warwick gathering

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
Putting this out there to gauge interest in a Warwick area gathering this year.
Nearby are:
Goomburra National Park, the Condamine River Road (quite easy 4x4 road with spectacular scenery) and other national parks.
Personally i am not interested in "The Springs" 4x4 park South of Warwick, but others may be.
After interest is established we can look at a day that suits most.

If you were to read the last few pages of the janowen thread (or the next line)

After the last trip to janowen 4wd park (it basically got rained out) there was a call to return very soon (maybe after the school holidays) for a weekend trip.

Janowen hills 4wd park is just on your side of the gap so maybe that would be a good meet and greet for you.
Maybe you could even start the thread for this trip.
Anyone else got a date in mind for a return trip?

Hi Bryce,
No thanks to paying to drive on private property.
Goomburra National Park is just a few more minutes further along the road (East) I would rather meet up there for a bbq and a chat about the vehicles and with running water right next to the camp ground for billy tea.
That and the mrs and I are not into mass camping with many generators and gadgets and whats-its - anywhere. The bigger dams etc are not much chop either. Too many gadgets and yahoos. Not our idea of camping.
Hence we like Darlington Park, Lyons Rd campground near the border and Goomburra National Park.

Mmmm, well I've got to say Darlington Park is a lot more "built up" than Janowen, thats for sure if I'm reading your post correctly Grasshopper. (They've even got a kids playground there now, never used to have that)

There is a running creek besides the campground at Janowen, and is quite a nice spot. We try to avoid any destination when there is a 4wd comp on, as I hate camping wall to wall with crowds. (read yahoos!). But we are willing to go anywhere to check things out, the national park sounds good as well.

Well grasshopper last time we were at janowen we were the only group there.
But if you want tk go out for a trip day or overnight. Put the dates up and if im free ill be there

That would be this one TerryC http://www.aroundoz.com/a_campsite_archive/april_2001_andrew_drynan_park.htm

Its not a large area, and mainly very sloped ground, but there a few level spots. Heading from Nth NSW you pass through Kyogle, and instead of heading along Summerland Way to go across the border, you turn right and take the "shortcut" across the border, which becomes Lyons Road. But its no place for a big van, very tight/twisty/steep in places.

Heading from the other side, Beaudesert, its pretty easy though.

Mmmm, well I've got to say Darlington Park is a lot more "built up" than Janowen, thats for sure if I'm reading your post correctly Grasshopper. (They've even got a kids playground there now, never used to have that)

There is a running creek besides the campground at Janowen, and is quite a nice spot. We try to avoid any destination when there is a 4wd comp on, as I hate camping wall to wall with crowds. (read yahoos!). But we are willing to go anywhere to check things out, the national park sounds good as well.

Hmmm, well that sucks for Darlington Park now. We had not been there for a couple of years.
The creek running through Janowen is the same one that has its source in the National Park - always better to get water from closer to the source.
As a rural property owner and having only large farms around us, I am a bit jaded about paying for the privilege of driving on private property... My neighbour has plenty of hills and gullies to "play" in with a 4x4 but farmers tend to get a very stirred up about anyone tearing up their gullies and making their erosion problems any worse. With 10 acres of our own and a track around our boundary fence I am sure i can make my own fun if required. Circle work had been done in our West paddock in several cars, but not in the wet. Only rain water here = not enough to spend hours cleaning mud off vehicles.

Killarney - The Queen Mary Falls has a camp ground and caravan park nearby. www.queenmaryfallscaravanpark.com.au
There may even be a camp ground now along Condamine River Road... i have not driven that for over a year now. Last time i did there were several sites where you could see the remains of camp fires and vehicle tracks off to the side of the road. No idea if this is legal or otherwise.
Killarney has at least one camp ground / caravan park in the town itself, the one i recall is on the North side of the road into Killarney from Warwick.

Anyway it is good to see some interest in a trip over the range for the Sth East members :) I had hoped to get posts from other Darling Downs members. Only one so far.

As for a weekend of choice - ? Easter we are staying home, and son's b'day party over Easter too :redcool:
Family and other commitments over a couple of weekends in May and June. I will need to consult the Social butterfly to verify dates.

Killarney - The Queen Mary Falls has a camp ground and caravan park nearby. www.queenmaryfallscaravanpark.com.au
There may even be a camp ground now along Condamine River Road... i have not driven that for over a year now. Last time i did there were several sites where you could see the remains of camp fires and vehicle tracks off to the side of the road. No idea if this is legal or otherwise.
Killarney has at least one camp ground / caravan park in the town itself, the one i recall is on the North side of the road into Killarney from Warwick.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lyons road camp ground. I knew of it as Andrew Dryan as the Camper Trailer mob talk about it.

Having been to both Queen Mary Falls(many times) and the Killarney(once) Caravan Parks, we will always be returning to the Killarney Caravan Park. It has far more level tent area, which is in close proximity to the camp kitchen and then the amenities. Power is also available in the same spot(long leads). Lots of lovely trees for shade. Also BYO wood BBQ/fireplace or use the gas one in the camp kitchen. The only downer is peak hour traffic of about er four cars (VBG.) as you are close to the Killarney - Tannymorel road.

QMFCP has only a few good caravan/CT sites and the majority are narrow sloping camp sites(6" drop across a caravan wheels, 4"on my CT wheels. There is probably one level tent spot in the whole place. Also, they close the amenities at 7:30 AM for cleaning (wtf) as they are full time in the shop all day.

As to camping up the Condamine Gorge Road, AFAIK, it isn't a goer. The fires are probably from locals who went up for a BBQ.

The problem now is that a lot of the gorge is no longer in the hands of local owners and has been sold onto out of town'ers who tend to be a bit protective. So even with The Boss(local girl) at the wheel, we know very little of them now.

Work is very precarious at the moment - only 8 weeks left on my contract and no firm offer for after that... I cannot commit to anything new that has dollars attached to it for the foreseeable future... it is what it is until I can change the situation.

i would be very keen, would be good to meet a few of you.
I have never been to Goomburra Valley but have heard a few disheartening story's about the place. I plan on visiting Gordon Country in the very near future. I havent been to either of the places but peoples feedback and reviews point to Gordon Country

Am more keen on a meet now that things are stabilising... not that there is a surplus of income (13 hrs casual only /week), but the event would be a welcome distraction from the situation.

- BBQ, bonfire and drinks?
- overnight camp with the above?
- diy mechanic day, possibly host here (BYO tools) depends on how many attending too

keen to, spent a weekend out at Gordon Country and liked it.

Was just sitting down this morning thinking of planning a day trip to the condamine with the wife and kids

Latest posts

Back