Fridge with 2 compartments any point?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdrinkbeer

Reaction score
Is there any point in getting a fridge with freezer compartments separate or is it best to just pack your fridge smarter (frozen stuff at bottom blah blah).

Building my drawers with engel 60 in mind, just wondering which one to buy

Depends what suits you, some people will say it's a must have, but for me I don't need frozen goods in the fridge very often. On the odd occasion that I do need it, like bring home a fridge full of prawns from Mallacoota, we just freeze the prawns in the deep freeze before we leave then on the morning we leave run the fridge down to minus 5 and whack the prawns in. Even 5 or 6 hours later when we get home they are still frozen with the fridge swinging between -5 and -1, providing the fridge doesn't get opened too often on the way home. Being the home trip of course we also don;t have a need for beer and milk type stuff to be in the fridge so being below 0 isn't a huge issue for us.

It is worth while if u are going away for a few weeks u can take all your frozen meat etc with u and still have your coldies in the same fridge

Depends what you want in the fridge and how long you're going for. Meat keeps longer and better if it's frozen, but it will last for a couple of days no drama at all in a fridge - just put it in a water-tight container so the blood doesn't get into everything else.

However if you're going for longer periods, you don't want to freeze the milk or the tomatoes or the butter - so 2 compartments could be quite handy.

I run 2 fridges , 80 lt as fridge and 50lt lt as freezer. The dual zones are good and easy to swap between the two.

+1 on two compartments being good.
we have the Evakool 70 and plan to actually run it as full time freezer on longer trips(it is actually freezing stuff for the multi-week easter trip now, the ice box will be the fridge), but we can use it as a fridge/freezer for our normal 4/5 day long weekend trips.

You waste too much space as a fridge/freezer. Buy yourself a cryovac machine and just run a fridge. No blood from thawing, the sealed food packs in really well and if your battery goes flat it wont effect the meat.

Last edited:
You waste too much space as a fridge/freezer. Buy yourself a cryovac machine and just run a fridge. No blood from thawing, the sealed food packs in really well and if your battery goes flat it wont effect the meat.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, cryovac things, freeze them and keep the fridge as cold as possible.

Looking at the 60 litre engel, actually I designed my drawers with about 3mm spare for an engel so thats what i'll be getting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Latest posts

Back