STX 550 Drawers, dual battery etc

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdrinkbeer

Reaction score
About time I put this up here, although this is definitely one of the slowest things i've ever done so all i've got is about half way!

So I got the canopy on & started looking into drawers etc, seemed like the decent ones were bloody expensive, and I just didn't fancy the cheaper versions, all seemed a bit flimsy!

So like a constipated mathematician I sat down and worked it out with a pencil! Actually a pencil, graph pad, tape measure and a case of Heineken.

I figured if I was going to do it all myself i'd want to get it just how I want it, all at once, and first time around.

Figured i'd need:
1- Dual battery. I had the battery, isolator & a few bits and pieces left over from the King cab, so this shouldn't be a problem.
2- Air Compressor. Picked up an ARB one a while back as they threw in the inflator kit.
3- LED work lights. Setting up camp, actually "working" if ever I need to
4- Water tank & pumped water. Once again, I had this from the King Cab, just a matter of picking a spot for the tank & sorting the pump out.
5- Interior lights for the tray. I do a fair few power shutdowns for work in the middle of the night so finding tools etc can be a bit hard.
6- Provision to fit an LED strip to the awning, and one to the bottom of the rooftop tent, and plug them in when required (neither of these are fit yet).
7- Fridge. Don't have one, but one day I will.

Then I started thinking about it all a bit deeply, I decided the drawers would be best if it was one large drawer for size, when I priced up made ones they seemed so small as to be pointless, I worked out the height I could fit below the canopy & did some drawings.
Figured on a caravan type poly water tank, found one that is (I think) 1200x400x200 and 85litres, actually not sure about that, but definitely about 1200 long. Decided the best spot would be on top of the drawer, on the shelf if you like, behind the seats, decided that was the most likely spot to be a pain in the arse to get at things once the drawers & shelf etc are in. *Don't have the tank yet, its down the track*

Decided the shelf above would be good if it drew out, giving access to things at the back of it, and access to the top of the fridge when we get one, took some measurements and found that an Engel 60litre will fit through the back door with 3mm spare. I guess thats what we'll be getting one day.

So, I started on the dual battery, being absolutely anal about wiring (we install Medical equipment among other things, i'm used to making damn sure nothing can go wrong), I took my time figuring this out. I had some offcuts of 50mm Weld flex from a job which I decided to use, good in theory, but hard getting such a large cable, even if it is flexible, along the route I decided to go.

The offcuts were too short really to start with, I decided to run through the firewall, through the centre console, rear seats and out to the tub, the dual battery isolator I put in a watertight box below the centre rear seat, worked out well, I can hear it click in when I start the car, and has enabled me to take a decent supply from both starting & second battery for anything I want to run up the front.

At the same time, I decided to fit the ARB Compressor switch in the cab, whilst in the dash I also put an Airlocker switch just in case I end up putting one in one day, I extended the wiring to the switch with 7core trailer cable, I ran an additional one too as I have plans up front (See later).

Attachments

• DSC_0002 copy.jpg
    DSC_0002 copy.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 721
  • DSC_0004_2.jpg
    DSC_0004_2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 854
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 700
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 752
I figured I could save weight by making a frame for the drawer out of steel rather than ply, most of the frame is 20mm angle, 30mm where it attaches to the tub, and the drawer "runners" are made from 21x41mm unistrut, which I will have bearings run down to enable the slide action.

I'll put pics up soon, haven't taken many of the frame setup. You can just see it in the pic attached with my apprentice

It ended up 2mm out of square, not bar for a sparky welding for the first time in 10years!

Attachments

• DSC_0036_2.jpg
    DSC_0036_2.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 425
So I figured to do it right i'd need switches for:
1- Work lights Left
2- Work lights Right
3- Work lights Rear
4- Air Compressor
5- Water Pump
6- Accessories I haven't thought of yet.

Also, just because I felt like it I switched the work lights from the front, again, Left, Right & Rear separately switched, and I made it so the rear work lights come on with the Reverse lights.

I made a panel for the rear RHS of the storage that houses all my switches, relays, fuse panel & an LCD Voltmeter, a few hours sitting in front of the TV paling around and it looks like this

Attachments

• DSC_0002_2.jpg
    DSC_0002_2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 3,353
  • DSC_0003_2.jpg
    DSC_0003_2.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 689
The rear panel is now fitted, and all hooked up, will put photos up this weekend, will grab an hour or two to do a bit more at some point.

The Voltmeter lights up blue, and the switches have blue LED on indicators, a nice touch I though, looks pretty trick anyway.

Jobs for this weekend:
1- Fit Rear Work lights (one i've done already)
2- Fit LED interior lights, I have a 5m roll of flexible strip LED's in warm white colour as its easier on the eyes if we're camping etc.
3- Run all wiring for lights & accessories throughout canopy, i'm running it all behind the carpet in the canopy, stuck on bloody good though!
4- Hook up the other ends of the plugs and connect the front switching, this can wait though as I don't tend to get a lot of free time at the moment.

Beautiful rich!
Maybe I should have ha you around to help with mine ;)

sounds unreal,

any chance you could post a couple of pics of your dual battery setup. im looking to do something along the same lines. light setup sounds great.

So I figured to do it right i'd need switches for:
1- Work lights Left
2- Work lights Right
3- Work lights Rear
4- Air Compressor
5- Water Pump
6- Accessories I haven't thought of yet.

Also, just because I felt like it I switched the work lights from the front, again, Left, Right & Rear separately switched, and I made it so the rear work lights come on with the Reverse lights.

I made a panel for the rear RHS of the storage that houses all my switches, relays, fuse panel & an LCD Voltmeter, a few hours sitting in front of the TV paling around and it looks like this
attachment.php

Wow sorry to revive on old thread but that looks Hell neat, nice work!

Back