recovery hook

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
how did you guys bolt the front recovery hooks on ?
did you use a bolt in the stock threaded hole?

a couple of guy's did that from what i have seen.

tweak you should use my meathod,

drive good and dont get bogged then ya dont need a hook lol

worse case i ran 2 d shackles through to 2 tie down point join with a tree trunk protector and go from there.

fairly rare for us to get stuck. usually avoid situations but sometimes the unforeseen happens.
but hooks are cheap and a lot better than the stock D's. i'm not a fan of useing shackles especially in such a narrow knife edge thats on the stock D's. the stock location is ok if your useing a chain with a hook but putting rope/strop, big hook or shackle through them is not all that good.

a couple of guy's did that from what i have seen.

tweak you should use my meathod,

drive good and dont get bogged then ya dont need a hook lol

Nah! Don't need recovery hooks to get ourselves out, it's for all those stuck hilux's we all come across:big_smile:

Anyone got pics of their hooks? I got ummm, stuck, the other day (dam racing slick all terrains) and went to put the D shackle in and she wouldn't fit, need a good recovery point

Apparently the Patrol stock recovery hook fits the 72mm centres on the Navara. The ones you can get at Repco/Supercheap/ARB have a lot smaller centres.

just reading through patrol forums. seams there is a few problems with Nissan's hooks.
i noticed the threaded nut in the chassi is smaller than the bolt i have with the hooks.

heres mine, i used the 2 factory threads. hooks are outback ideas, just had them repowdercoated a couple of weeks ago in their brightest red.

Last edited:
no offence woznme but from what i can gather that setup is not good at all.
the idea of hooks is that they straigten out and let the load go when they fail. shackles and D's (sorry not sure of proper name) is that when they fail they break creating missles flying back to the towing vechile.

just been reading a few bits on bolt sizes. the stock captive nuts are proberly to small anyway.

They also fit landcruiser 80/100. Its 10mm steel, it ain't gonna break. rated to well above anything your gonna need. Shear strength of the bolts, i think they are M12 is well above also. your gonna break strap first.

more likely the shackle you use to put the strap onto it will go first creating a nasty missile.
if that doesn't your chassis will rip out. saw a few pics of NZ guys with exactly that. they had some huge hooks (landcruiser??) and it tore the chassis off.
considering most are using minimum 8 ton straps, unless the strap is damaged, its not going to break in a hurry.

Hey guys, BIG WARNING!! dont use D shackles! Get Bow shackles, their not the same thing either, Bow shackles are rated at a lot higher Tonnage, D shackles are for tying your dog up where as Bows are for pulling out Hilux's! You dont want your D shackle flying through some guys window thats trying to help you out!

I've got twin hooks on the front of mine, drilled to bolt holes each for them and used high tensile bolts. Use an equaliser strap connected to your snatchey on both tow points as it distributes the weight across your vehicle and saves something being broken. Ive used them heaps, even snatched some well bogged cruisers out!! I'll try to get some pictures up tommorow...

sorry i'm not that familar with the terms. when i say shackles i mean bow shackles. even they break generating missles. when you have a bungy which allows you to generate 2-3x the normal force its really easy to break gear.

yeah I agree with you man, i Dont use either off them, but if someone has too...

I'll get some pics of my hooks up here this arvo..

had a good look today and its not looking all that good.
factory nut in the chassi are 16mm, hook bolts are 19mm.

must be tight getting nuts into the chassi rail as the crossmember comes through that bit as well.

however i have thought why not bolt them to the factory tow point and have the hook sideways.
know of any problems haveing the hooks sideways ?

wouldn't matter if it was sideways but not sure that tow point would be strong enough.

mmm....on its own its proberly as strong as the chassi for a front pull, sideways is a bit weak. however i can easly brace it up.

Have a gander at what i did, mostly designed to be pulling straight, wouldnt really wanna be pulling someone out from big angle on the side anyway, but that why i have two and an equalizer strap.

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

As you can see they have had a fair bit of use

Last edited:
Back