new single mass flywheel advice.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4 naving

Reaction score
Hi guys, just installed a new clutch with a single mass flywheel. pedal feels great. But i get a lot of gear chatter and vibration through the car. I was expecting some extra vibration but when i towed a trailor on the highway ti is awfull to drive under 2500 revs, and when accelerating heavy it really vibrates not nice to drive any more... anyone else changed over to single mass and had this experience? Thinking of going back to dual mass as its ruined the drivability i liked soooo mutch of the d40....:pissedoff:

Hi guys, just installed a new clutch with a single mass flywheel. pedal feels great. But i get a lot of gear chatter and vibration through the car. I was expecting some extra vibration but when i towed a trailor on the highway ti is awfull to drive under 2500 revs, and when accelerating heavy it really vibrates not nice to drive any more... anyone else changed over to single mass and had this experience? Thinking of going back to dual mass as its ruined the drivability i liked soooo mutch of the d40....:pissedoff:

I got a d22 with solid fly wheel. A little bit noisier but once going its fine

this is a reason why DMF's are used.

Tho your problem seems excessive...how well is the unit balanced?

When a clutch unit is balanced, BOTH the flywheel and press plate/clutch are balanced as one unit on the balance machine for superior results,
but they can be done separately with good results.

If you have bad vibes its a balance issue.

Shudder is generally unwanted oils on the friction surfaces OR incorrect machining.

Your flywheel may need machining?

I had mine changed last week. Difference in vibration from the dual mass is not much at all on mine. I'd take it back to get looked at.

i hope you dont get the grief i have had, mine is going back in on tuesday to be replaced for the third time and then ive had enough its patrol time. with an auto

Flywheel should be machined when a new clutch/pressure plate is installed

Thanks guys, will talk to them and get it looked at. The flywheel is new so no machining needed and it was balanced before install, it seems to be gear box chatter eibrating threw the vehicle. I gess the dual mass hides all of this noise normaly.

yes the dual mass does seam to reduce gearbox chatter. but i've not heard of any being bad enough to want to rip it out. maybe a change of gearbox oil might help?

:confused2:I'll try a different oil first and see if that helps. hopefully it does as i really dont want to have to go through changing the flywheel again. seems odd no one else hse had this issue as bad as mine... Just my luck i guess...

I have had the same problem for about 6 month and it only when its under load like when going up a hill and i want to overtake it vibrates very bad. I thought it was just because i have changed the the cluch and removed the mass flywheel. Please let me know what you do to fix the problem as i would love to get mine back to the way it was as it makes it a pig to drive now.

On of the first things I did when I got my D40 2 years ago was get rid of the DMC and install a solid flywheel.
If done right there should be no difference in the driveability of the ute, just more 'feel' in the clutch pedal.
I have not experienced any shudders, vibrations or transmission noises from performing this upgrade that includes offroad work, city driving. highway driving and towing operations.

Last edited:
reddog im jealous mine just did not work changed three times under warranty oil changed everything i may find out what happened to the last one on tuesday. as it drove me to sell it.

Hi Gents, I have done many changes in flywheels on yd25. The replacement clutch plates have to strong springs in the hub as they are designed to work with a duel mass flywheel. Seems that you have a clutch plate with heavy springs and this transfers all the torque noise through the drive train to the diff. One solution to this issue is to use fully synthetic oils in the gear box 75 and 85 140 in the diff. These oils are not cheep $20 per liter work shop price. I have tried other clutch plates and have found one that works no gear chatter. We are designing a better clutch plate for yd25 solid flywheel. it will be on our web site in the coming months check out our double row tinning chain conversions for yd25 www.yd25.com.au

Latest posts

Back