Custom Subwoofer/Tool Box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,
as a school project I decided to build a subwoofer box to go behind the seat in my ute, but as the tools normally sit there, i have designed a sub which also acts as a tool box.

i dont mean that you put stuff inside of the sub box, but the tools are inlayed into the box. its a bit of a difficult concept to explain, but once done, you'll see what i mean :)

a few of the build up pics: (using 16mm mdf with a SHITLOAD of screws and silicone all round on the inside to seal the inner gaps, but of course using wood glue on all wood to wood joints)

dsc02453r.jpg

dsc02454d.jpg

dsc02455m.jpg

dsc02456srg.jpg

still need to line the inside of the box with foam to stop sound wave refraction, carpet the entire box, put the sub in, wire it up, and put the side mounting plug for the amp to connect to

cheers for looking and will be updated with time!

That's a great idea mate, as long as the tools are secured well it shouldn't be a problem.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

got all the holes for where the tools will sit cut out and got all of the front panel screwed on today. not much left to go! also laid in all the sound absorbing foam to stop sound wave refraction on the inside. also measuring up points for adding braces internally.

the tools will either be held in using a lever which will slide down and stop the tools from falling forward, or i'll be putting a nail with a large flat head on it at each corner of the tool areas and have some netting stretch across it to keep all the stuff from falling out. i dunno, i change my mind a lot so new ideas may come to mind, haha

it might be done next week perhaps, keep watching this spot!

thanks all

the foam inside the box to stop sound waves refracting by using the foam to absorb the stray waves
dsc02464j.jpg

cut out slots for where the rest of the toolbox recessed areas are going
dsc02465z.jpg

how the toolbox holders look from the inside (note: still need to put the base on after i give it a sand down to level the sides as i somehow miss cut by 1mm)
dsc02466v.jpg

view from outside (that specific hole is the deepest since it will be fitting the scissor jack which actually works on my car since the standard height isnt as high as the 4wd nav)
dsc02467i.jpg

haha, yeah its kinda big i guess but as it is a full size subwoofer, not those slim ones i needed to get some decent volume for the box and while i was at it came up with the idea of removing the tools behind the seat and into the subwoofer box, lol

this has never been done before so i dont know how well it will work out. if its shit, oh well, ditch the box and buy a normal box that can sit in the passenger footwell, but if its good it will be a very interesting and one of a kind job :) i've only got a single cab so space was limited from the start. to fit this behind the seat you need to pull the seat forward around 80mm which isnt much as i normally have the seat all the way back.

not long til its done! carpet will be next after the wood is all stuck on and sealed up, and in goes to the subwoofer. then i just need to buy a amp wiring kit to run it off my 400rms/1000 peak amp

haha, its mainly just to give my heavy metal music a bit more 'kick' as the 2 stock speakers just dont quite cut it!

though i know my friends will get in and chuck on some stupid doof doof, sigh

Not to sure on the idea of having your tools lying on top of the box. I once worked with someone who had the scars to prove it. His tool bag was in the back of his wagon and he had an accident and all those tools were then missiles flying thru the car. He was lucky to have survived the injuries he sustained from tools that punctured him.
Not wanting to put a damper on your idea but please consider the likely results should you be involved in an accident.

1. the tools are secured using either a fold down paddle or using wire mesh to hold it in place
2. this goes directly behind the bench seat of my ute. there is NO space between the seat and the box as it is a tight fit so tools will not going flying.

lol i built a dual sub box enclouser at school as well lol.
are you going to carpet the box? it's probably a good idea
and put it in a way so it doesn't move around in the back.

also there is nothing wrong with a bit of doof doof, that's how im half deaf, 2x12 inch subs cranked for 2 year's.
now i have a single 10 inch, good for some country music and the occasional yo yo digity dog music

lol i built a dual sub box enclouser at school as well lol.
are you going to carpet the box? it's probably a good idea
and put it in a way so it doesn't move around in the back

yeah, i'm going to give the whole box a good sand down to make it all level and even, and then try and find a bunch of that carpet you usually see on sub boxes as it serves a few purposes: stops the wood from rattling/vibrating on the cab interior and also makes it look more professional even though it will be stuck behind the seat the whole time, which also means its fairly secure as the seat rests on it and stops movement.

also there is nothing wrong with a bit of doof doof, that's how im half deaf, 2x12 inch subs cranked for 2 year's.
now i have a single 10 inch, good for some country music and the occasional yo yo digity dog music

lol, well done XD

i've screwed on the front bottom panel and its all sealed up, all i have to do is finish another set of tool 'holes', seal it and screw it on, then it will be ready for a total sand down, carpeting, and finally the sub woofer install :) also chucked a bit of foam that i didnt need to cut around the inside edges to help with the noise dampening.

theres only so much that can be done in a 55 minute lesson!

forgot my bloody fone today so no new photos, blah :suicide:

i've bought that carpet from bunnings, assuming you have those (bunnings) over there. not the easiest stuff to work with but a bit of effort and it's all worth it. top job man!

thinkin about doin something similar under the back seat base in my d40 dual cab, it's on the list of things to do anyway! metal needs that extra thump!

dude, no idea, it was like 5 years ago! couldn't have been more than $10 mtr, still, probably the best part of $50 to cover yours if thats the case. check clark rubber, motor vehiclr trimmers / upholsterers, marine shops, any of these should have something suitable.

cheers mate. will try out bunnings first and compare prices with a textiles/materials shop.

this box is bloody water tight! apart from each joint being glued and screwed tight down, the inside and outside of all joints are sealed with a nice thick bead of high-flex, high adhesiveness silicone. the box is a sealed box so i want to make sure its sealed XD

will get some pics up monday arvo probs since i'll have my cam on me.

Latest posts

Back