Easier towing with canopy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micko2530

Reaction score
My D22 (ZD30) is struggling with the boat on the highway. I think the issue is more to do with wind resistance than weight.

I'm thinking about getting a canopy in the hope that it will help control air over the top of the vehicle & therefore improve towing performance.

Anyone had any experience in this regard?

Thanks, Mike.

How big is the boat?

You might find some gains when towing because of the wind flow but it wont be the only solution, because there will still be a wind pocket between the canopy and the boat.

I have only ever towed my camper trailer with the canopy on, not a problem, if I don't watch the speedo it sneaks up to a dollar 15 easy. Just put a tray on mine with flexiglass canopy and it hangs out past the body line 30cm each side now catching the wind and still no problem

What sort of boat. I have towed a range of boats with my d22 which does have a canopy including a 6.8metre alloy hardtop and my current Seafarer Vitory (over 2 tonne). They seem to tow alright once you get them going but anything much over 1.5 tonne takes a bit to get going.

At least a boat has a pointy front (I am sure there is a more nautical term!). I find wind really affects the performance when towing our van although others are of the view that weight has a far bigger influence.

Don't know whether an open tub might act as a bit of parachute & I did not tow enough without the canopy to say whether there was any difference.

My guess is that if there was any difference, the cost of the canopy could not be justified by the fuel savings, unless you want an excuse to tell the wife in order to buy the canopy. Of course a canopy will add weight that you will have to carry around all the time.

At the end of the day pointy bit (to coin a joe phrase) or not there is still a wind break at the boat, different boats will have different characteristics and having a canopy will also change that but it could also effect it.

If the wind flows over the roof into the tub, circles in the tub and then out over the tailgate (forget mythbusters tailgate up and down testing because I forgot what they proved), it must then catch on either the pointy bit or go over the pointy bit. Depends on the height of the boat as which, but it could just as easily be both as well.

If therefore could be just as easy to suggest that with the canopy little to none of that air flow goes around the pointy bit and down the sides and is taken full on by the screen of the boat, at which point it leaps over and circles into the boat (if there is no cover).

The argument has too many anomalies to give a definitive answer.

Pointy Bit <---trademark that term joe it will be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think Scooba has hit the nail on the head - I just need more horsepower!

And even with canopys on the air must still swirl around the back of the Ute, cause the window is always dirty on a dirt rd

Yeah more horses is definitely the go, but make sure you get those arse bags for them, don't want them crapping on the boat.

a canopy on the ute might help but only of the boat is small enough that air gets pushed up over it. most boats simply stick up to high. lowing the awnings etc on the boats can help a lot. as can fitting a cover over the back. anything to help reduce the drag at he rear of the boat.

one of the hardest things we have towed was a small shed. we put it on by hand so it wasn't all that heavy. had roof facing forward but the drag caused by the open bottom meant we where full noise just maintaining 80km/h on the straight. bloody unreal for something that probably weighed 500kg.

With a canopy on, the ute becomes a full bluff body, which has a lot of pressure drag. Without the canopy, pressure drag is slightly less significant, but not enough to normally notice (too many other 'noise' variables - wind speed and direction, gradient and condition of road, loaded mass of vehicle).

When towing, the boat is also a big bluff body, though it benefits from being in the wake of your ute. The bigger the wake of the ute, the less the pressure drag generated by the boat. A canopy will give your ute a bigger wake so it may help you. If you're so inclined, set up an experiment and tow your trailer down the same piece of road in the same direction six times in one day - three without the canopy, and three with. Change nothing else. Note wind direction and speed before each trial. Average and compare the fuel economy and top speed results. Sound like a lot of work? Have better things to do? Here's the easy route - fit a chip, and if you want to put stuff in the back of your ute without it getting nicked or rained on, fit a canopy.

Are your boat trailer brakes dragging?

Utes create a air vortex behind the cab that get's trap by the tail gate, which holds your ute back heaps. Even just adding a torno cover or hard lid will make a difference. I do a lot of highway long distance driving and I have definitely noticed the difference after having a canopy fitted.

Latest posts

Back