CV boot

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatty

Reaction score
The front right CV boot has split, and you can see the grease spinning out of it. I might just slap some duct tape on it for a really temp fix, but how hard is it swapping these things?

It seems like the hub and cv are attached, so I can't just slip it all off and do an easy change over. It looks like a bit of a pain in the arse, actually.

When it's in 2H, the front CV's aren't spinning, are they?

Last edited:
As a temp fix you could try and wrap it up with a old inner tube, some zip tie's and a bit of silicone.

No spare old inner tubes. A boot kit is only 15$, but it's the pain in the arse of a job to take the whole hub off etc etc etc to get to the flippin' boot.

depends if its the inner or outer boot that's the problem. you will need to pull the shaft out of the transfer case and the hub either way. i don't know if they are set up the same on these as a front wheel drive car, but on a front wheel drive you need to remove the inner boot/cv to replace the outer boot...

A FWD and a Navara are almost completely opposite. Nav's go into a diff, not the gearbox diff, the suspension is primitive and annoying, the hub is entirely fixed onto the arms, no shock spring set up, and the CV is connected to the hub, not just a put that slips in (they're not locking hubs). It's just, a big pain in the arse. I might just get new CV's.

It's the inner boot, left side.

G'day tatty I've got a split cv boot that I'll be
Replacing soon.
If you like I can take some pics and run you throug it.
I've done it before and it's not that hard.
It's a messy job though.
Craig

It's not the mess. It's the freaking getting crap off to get to the boot, I haven't done one before so it'll be fresh to me.

Would it be easier to take the whole CV shaft out?

Joshy has a stickied thread around here somewhere about how to remove a cv shaft.

I have done one myself, and it was a c%^t of a job, since i dident really know the correct procedure, if I was doing it again it would be way easier

- I actually need to do the other side, so i will be doing it again.

here is how i remember going about it

have car front on jack stands
take wheel off
back off tention on the tortion bar for the side your on (makes putting together easier)
remove the bottom gas strut bolt and manover it out of the way
remove locking hub
remove the bigold nut holding the cv to wheel hub
remove top two bolts holding the suspension in place
remove the 6 bolts holding the CV to the diff
push the diff side somewhere it has room to go furtherst away
* i removed top suspention bolts to get full manovarability to remove spline
- fuck around here for a bit trying to slide it out, you will need a decent angle depending what side your doing.

replace it
change the boots
do whatever you were planning

then put it all together
readjust tortion bars

I have done one myself, and it was a c%^t of a job, since i dident really know the correct procedure, if I was doing it again it would be way easier

take wheel off
back off tention on the tortion bar for the side your on (makes putting together easier)
remove locking hub
- fuck around here for a bit trying to slide it out, you will need a decent angle depending what side your doing.

replace it
change the boots

then put it all together
readjust tortion bars

I personally need to do this myself and very, very soon as well. Both boots are split. Plus the sway bar has snapped (but that's a different story).

Where'd you pick up the boot kit from? Or where can you just find new CV's from?

take wheel off
remove locking hub

replace it
change the boots

then put it all together
readjust tortion bars

I personally need to do this myself and very, very soon as well. Both boots are split. Plus the sway bar has snapped (but that's a different story).

Where'd you pick up the boot kit from? Or where can you just find new CV's from?

I was replacing cv boot three times ... first time a put some crap that split after two months, then did it again and then on other side.
well it takes some time to do it, but I've never touched torsion bar, just support LCA by another jack,
I always take cross-shaft in to the vise and hammer off cv, that what workshop manual says it's ther is quite good description in there have look http://terranoirk.ru/man/WD21/FA.pdf ,page 30.
some friends did it without removing shaft from the car but mine outer cv was sitting so tight that I coudn't pull it when on car - didn't want to stress inner cv

Latest posts

Back