Wombat State Forest on Sunday?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thom

Reaction score
After chatting with my Dad and his mate who used to drive a lot in the high country and desert about where might be a good place/track to have a bit of a crack and see how I go offroad. They said that Wombat State Forest would be a good choice, so I am thinking about heading out there this Sunday.

Would anyone else be keen to come along? Help me out along the way if there is some trickier stuff. Good time before the rain really settles in down here I reckon!

You're talking about Sunday the 15th right?

If so then I can probably make it, I'm only half an hour up the road near Castlemaine so it's not far from here.

I'll have to check with SWMBO first but it should be ok :)

What are you looking for and how is your car set up?
Lift?
Tyers, Size and type?
Snorkel?
Recover gear?

There are so many tracks in wombat you could spend days driving them all, but you need to be careful as there are allot of DEEEEEP bog holes in there. I have seen a few big trucks (GQ 5" lift 35" tyers) get filled with water so if you are not sure get out and "stick" the depth of any bog holes.

Have you got a rear hitch receiver tow bar? I've got a spare recovery point that will fit into a hitch receiver if you do. That would cover winching you backwards at least.

Snatching from an alloy bar isn't an option and I gather you don't have front recovery points fitted?

Have you got a rear hitch receiver tow bar? I've got a spare recovery point that will fit into a hitch receiver if you do. That would cover winching you backwards at least.

Snatching from an alloy bar isn't an option and I gather you don't have front recovery points fitted?

Yeah it looks like it has the rear hitch receiver tow bar. Its the Nissan stock one as far as im aware. I have to be honest, I am pretty new to it all. Still trying to learn everything. But nah I dont have recovery points fitted, unless the owner before fitted them (which im doubting)

you can pull of the front on d22 alloy bullbar, the brackets are thicker than a Nissan steel bar. As long as you pull straight on it should be ok, plus all this talk of big lift and recovery gear might scare someone off,

I've been winched and snatched off my bar. No issues. Just two shackles and an equalizer strap. Easy

I'm happy to take your word about the alloy bar dave.

Thom I'm sure we can manage as long as you don't mind a middle aged guy (who's probably around your fathers age plus my 9 year old) tagging along in case you get stuck :)

I'm happy to take your word about the alloy bar dave.

Thom I'm sure we can manage as long as you don't mind a middle aged guy (who's probably around your fathers age plus my 9 year old) tagging along in case you get stuck :)

Ha ha, I would prefer to drive with someone who has a lot more experience and more mature! It will probably be "me" tagging along anyway he he.

Im looking forward to this!

the first trip i did with the vnog crew my nav got stuck, you soon learn to pick a different line through the mud, nothing stupid just a gentle slow pull off the front and it came straight out, thats when i still had the alloy bar

Count me in on this. I dont have a winch or snorkel and I am on standard road tyres but I do have a couple of extra inches, a steel bar and a front diff lock.
Where and when are we going to meet?

Yeah you should be able to pull of the brackets without too much trouble and if you go with someone with a winch you should be fine. Do you have any recovery equipment as in Snatch strap and a couple of shackles? It may be a good investment as if someone is going to go to the trouble of puling you out it always nice to have your own gear as opposed to using theirs.

I have been out there a few times and never swamped my nav, I have driven a few bog holes up over the bonnet which can be a bit freaky the 1st time you do it.
Make sure you go with someone with a bit of experiance as a minimum or someone who know the area reasonably well. There is no shame in reversing out if you dont feel comfortable with tackling a big hill or a bog hole. Best to drive home and have another go next time rather than filling it with stinky muddy water or tipping it over. You will be very surprised with what the Nav can do in reasonably stock form in the bush, just be prepared for lots of mud even if it has not rained for a week or more in there. And the main piece of advice I can offer is if you hit allot of mud, make sure you give your radiator a real good wash when you get home. I learnt that one the hard way.

Only thing you need to take with you is common sense.......not $10k of ARB "must haves"
Youll have a ball Thom. Fire trail no.1 and XL track are great tracks to cut your teeth on as is amblers lane. Nothing on those tracks that will cause damage but will give you a fair taste of what you and your vehicle are capable of.
The un-named tracks just NE of Firth park are not suitable for Navaras.

Only thing you need to take with you is common sense.......not $10k of ARB "must haves"
Youll have a ball Thom. Fire trail no.1 and XL track are great tracks to cut your teeth on as is amblers lane. Nothing on those tracks that will cause damage but will give you a fair taste of what you and your vehicle are capable of.
The un-named tracks just NE of Firth park are not suitable for Navaras.

Great! :rock: Where abouts can I pickup maps for these tracks do you know?

Count me in on this. I dont have a winch or snorkel and I am on standard road tyres but I do have a couple of extra inches, a steel bar and a front diff lock.
Where and when are we going to meet?

Haven't decided on that part yet. But I was thinking an earlier start, need to get back into town by 6pm atleast.

Yeah I'm pretty keen. I'm also pretty new to 4x4in as well. I only got some muddies on my nav. As long as its not real early in the morning

D22Dave is now your local tour guide out that way now that we have relocated.....if he is free then a better group leader and knowledgable local you will not find.
Maps can be had from most 4* 4 stores or the local servos nearby....dont know where you are.

Latest posts

Back