Nissan Defense Pack???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was looking at this option when ordering my new Nav. and thought I would get a few opinions of those who've trodden this path before.

The "Defense Pack" is the clear coating on the paintwork that protects the duco and makes it shiny. Apparently no need to wax according to blurb ? It also includes the interior spray to stop stains etc and also the electronic doodad that attaches to the body and eliminates/reduces rusting.

Anyone take up this offer and if so, are you happy you did? Do the treatments work? Is the electronic gizmo a gimmick or is it for real?

I spend most days at the beach (kitesurf school owner) so it will be in a salty environment a fair bit.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

DJ

How much is it?

IMO paint protection is rubbish (especially if you plan on 4wding), and seat covers stop upholstery stains better than any application.

The electronic rust protection is definately worthwhile, especially considering what you will be using it for. Just need to make sure it's a reputable brand. I went with Couplertec, comes with a 10 year written warranty and is used by Surf Lifesaving Aus and BHP. I think it was about $600 installed but very good insurance. What brand did Nissan want to sell you? Just do some research on it before you commit.

Seat covers, a good wax at home every couple of months and an aftermarket electronic rust protection would be my recommendation. Thats what I did. I went for the ERPS only because the d40's are so bloody long and they were the only one that came with 6 pads.

The electronic rust protection things have been proven to work so I would say they are a must in your circumstance, A lot of the rust protection guys also recomend the old spray on protection aswell, I didn't do it on mine so I guess time will tell whether I should have or not. I only go to the beach a couple of times a year though.

As Jason said the elec rust sytems should only be around $600 fitted so tell Nissan to go jump in the lake if they try and quote you some rediculous price.

All the fabrics used for the seats come scotch guarded off the roll, No need to get more protection apart from good old seat covers.
Just a little bit of info for ya.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I pretty much thought it was a sales upsell. "You want fries with that?" LOL

They quoted me about $1,295 for the lot; Interior, exterior and electronic Rust inhibitor. It was a fleet rate through a mate of a mate. I don't recall the brand name of the gizmo they were offering, but I was quoted $1,195 for it as a stand alone price. It seemed very exxy. I think I'll do a bit of research on the gizmo's.

Nissan are a smart bunch of cookies though. They strategically position a very hot, young sophisticated chicky as the upsell sales person. I would have told her just about anything to continue sitting there shooting the breeze with her. Yummy!

Sage advice though lads, I'll go the aftermarket option electronic gizmo and will buy seat covers (which I was gonna do in any case) and I enjoy waxing the car anyways. It's the best way to find dings and scratches and get up close and intimate with your car.

Cheers,

DJ

It's a standard sales pitch now. Most dealers have a pretty young thing to sell this sort of stuff - they usually try to get you while they are drawing up the sales contract. When I bought one of my falcons in '98 (I've had 5 new ones), I wanted window tint, and they quoted me nearly $500 - I rang an installer to get a comparison price - $250, and this was from the guy the dealer used. They then agreed to charge me the lower price.

If you really want the protection, get it done privately. Most of these type of operators love a bit of cash, so negotiate.

stay away from the paint protection. we had it done to our suzuki vitara and it came back with deep swirl marks all over it. turns out they use a clay bar first before appling the coating. if i knew they rub the factory clear coat with a clay bar i would of never had it done in the 1st place. the dealer that did ours used an old clay bar and why it was scratched. in the end we got a replacement new vitara and got the windows tinted instead

I got suckered in when I bought my rodeo by a little hottie with tits hanging out and bought everything, I never thought any of it worked, especially when the buggers need you to go back to the dealer for an "inspection" after 12months to keep the warrenty.
Didn't get any of it on the nav

Hey again guys,

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday researching, reading and speaking to others and have come up with the following insights.

1. The paint thing isn't worth the money and may/may not be a good thing in any case.

2. The Interior is better and cheaper protected by car seats and car mats and baybe a rug over the back seat.

3. The electronic Rust Inhibitor appears to be a bit of a scam. I'll be moving the car on in 4 years anyways most likely before it starts to rust. My old Patrol spend 5 years on the beach with me and it never had any protection and didn't develop any rust that a quick polish wouldn't remove. I'll fish oil the car when I get it home and keep it washed and clean.

4. The sales chicky is still hot :kiss3:

Think I'll avoid the entire thing and pocket the additional coin and avoid the chicky if I want my marriage to last. LOL

Thanks for all your help and replies.

DJ

The original brand of paint protection was MING.

Hence the term commonly used in the industry.
MING MOLE: definition: gorgeous young thing with ample cleavage (and or short skirt) able to sell loads of crap that costs bugger all for plenty o cash. :)
Hope you enjoyed the view. If you buy anything you will have paid for it. :)

i bought my ute second hand but the bloke i got it off got all that stuff put on when he bought it and inside was still like new and looked the part too, i would doo it if i was to buy a new one.

i got suckered into it with my d40

paid 1600 for e-rust, paint & interior protection and they 'threy in' window tint.

in hindsight, should have just bought e-rust and installed it myself and got glass tinted elsewhere. they say its t35 but it sure don't look it and e-rust installed only appears to have one outlet?

paint protection sucks! gotta use special wash goo, that lasted 3 washes now i'm using mcguires pink gel. i am really close to sayin fuck it and buyin a block of top shelf wax and goin for it, it'll remove protection but it's gotta be better, especially considering new car paint doesn't seem to be anywhere near as durable as it used to be and mine bieng black any offfroad adventure scratches are gonna show up real bad and the 'fine line' removal juice they give you with the paint prot pack wouldn't wipe lines off a mirror!

good decision to pass, wish i did!

MING MOLE: definition: gorgeous young thing with ample cleavage (and or short skirt) able to sell loads of crap that costs bugger all for plenty o cash. :)
Hope you enjoyed the view. If you buy anything you will have paid for it. :)

And I thought she was specific to my local dealer!! Yes she was hot but I still managed to keep my $$ in my wallet as I wanted the $$ for some more important after market accessories.

Regardless, if you plan to go into the bush and have some fun in your Nav, trees are going to scratch the paintwork; its unvoidable.

I used to work for tint-a-car and we did the defence pack for a couple of the dealers, the paint protection is just a cream polish wax on wax off style where it may have some great stuff in it if you use wax and grease remover to remove tar spots off comes the polish, the interior fabric is a spray on scotch guard type product and the leather and vinyl is a thick clag glue kinda stuff which I do like but feel it's not a once off product, but lasts heeps longer than armour all but gives the same result and the rust inhibitor is a little black box screwed to the firewall with a power and I cant remember if it was 1 or 2 earth switches. As for tint goto your local tint shop and get a 25year waranty stuff as the expensive "Lifetime Waranty" stuff is crap I had my 1st brand new car done through the dealer and in the 7-8 years I owned it had the rear screen done 3 times, the one I own now is 4 years old and still going strong,

Latest posts

Back