ZD30 Turbo Replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba84

Reaction score
Just finished replacing my turbo after it became damaged last weekend. While pushing the nav fairly spiritedly up the ranges is developed a strange turbo whistle and seemed low on power. After a quick inspection i didn't see any boost leaks and it appeared to be something a bit more serious.

Checking turbo play seemed fine however when i looked at the compressor wheel i saw this:

P1020656.jpg

Not sure how this happened but i thought time for a new turbo. Didn't want to risk having it go through my motor and decided to replace with a new Nissan one from Garry at Nizzbits. His service is excellent and managed to ship it to be in a day.

Upon removing the old turbo i discovered an exhaust leak that would not have been helping my cause:

P1020695.jpg

Since i had the turbo off i decided to also do the EGR / Butterfly mod from here:

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=4713

These instructions are excellent, especially the CAD image and shows what to do really clearly. I blocked off the exhaust side of things as the turbo was removed.

Since the turbo was out i tapped a hole in the dump pipe and put in a bung ready for a pyro gauge. Should make fitting the probe a breeze:

P1020700.jpg

Thought i may as well install a boost gauge so i could keep and eye on things too. Tapped a hole in the intake pipe for the boost line and sealed with thread goo. Once the turbo was refitted i replaced the flexible intake pipes with new silicone pipes. In case anyone is interested the sizes are:

• Turbo side = 45mm ID 70mm long
  • Plenum side = 63mm ID 70mm long

Also fitted a catch can purchased from super cheap:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Calibre-Oil-Catch-Can-Black-400cc-CALOCT04.aspx?pid=155180#Description

Just remember to grab about 1.5m off 1/2" ID hose and some hose clamps as well because the stuff you get in the kit is crap.

The snorkel also got a good siliconing as well since it was off and several holes plugged. The worst bit was the pipe connecting the snorkel to the air swirl canister (the round to rectangular cross section pipe) Should all be good now. Also found that the air swirl canister is not completely watertight at the joins so you guys may want to check yours .

The finished product (minus the turbo heat shield to keep and eye on oil leaks over the next few days)

P1020701.jpg

nice repair.

looks like the old turbo was drinking something else other than air. edit: remind me to read the posts before replying ;)

Last edited:
When you say low on power are you meaning all gears, Or a lack of top end or no boost. Good to see you picked up something was wrong

When you say low on power are you meaning all gears, Or a lack of top end or no boost. Good to see you picked up something was wrong

It seemed low on power in all gears as if the turbo was not spooling properly. As i didn't have a boost gauge at the time i couldn't check this. I do now though. It felt like it would accelerate up to a point and then the torque curve would flatline.

Nice repair, nice write up.
Question; what causes that type of damage to a turbo? Is it a common occurance among navara zd30's?

Question; what causes that type of damage to a turbo? Is it a common occurance among navara zd30's?

This type of damage can be from foreign objects in the air intake or flogged out bearings causing the wheel to contact the housing.

In my case I have the feeling the issue may have started in my pre snorkel days when i sucked in some water. A spooling turbo wont like water. Get a snorkel.

This issue can happen to any turbo but can kill out engines as there is no intercooler to catch any bits of broken compressor wheel. Just remember to idle for a couple of minutes after a run to cool the turbo down and stop the oil varnishing on the turbo bearings and flogging them out.

Sweet, that checks all boxes me. Snorkel, check. Drive like a granny in me nav work-horse, check. Intercooler is in the mail, check. Sweet. (touch wood)

Last edited:
Scooba, how difficult was it to replace the turbo. Are there any tips you can provide?
Cheers

what was the part no. for the gasket kit mate? and what gaskets come with it?, my new turbo came today but still gota order the gasket kit from nissan....did you need to adjust your boost or is it still about the 15psi as as standard?

Scooba, how difficult was it to replace the turbo. Are there any tips you can provide?
Cheers

It was pretty easy to remove. Biggest tip would be to WD40 all threads the night before you plan to remove and get a set of ratchet spanners. I separated the exhaust below the cat and left the oil feed and return attached to the turbo and removed the whole lot. The bolts from the oil return to the block are probably the hardest, especially the one closest to the firewall.

what was the part no. for the gasket kit mate? and what gaskets come with it?, my new turbo came today but still gota order the gasket kit from nissan....did you need to adjust your boost or is it still about the 15psi as standard?

Not sure of the part number as i got it through Nizzbits and the invoice just says gasket kit. In the kit you get;

• 3 piece steel exhaust flange gasket
  • 2 off steel banjo oil feed washer gasket things
  • 2 off paper oil return gaskets
  • paper intake gasket
  • steel dump pipe gasket

I didn't touch the boost and it seems good.

hey how are we all so the turbo u put is a standard nissan turbo ???? is this true??? wat kinda coin did u pay for that turbo if u dont mind me asking

Latest posts

Back