Strength of the D22 Free Wheel Hubs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey all....

Just getting around to do a few checks and servicing on my recently purchased D22 and upon rotating the tyres, I noticed that the front wheel Bearing was a bit loose, so I decided to have crack at tightening it up. Upon pulling the Manual Free Wheel Hub (FWH) off, I had a bit of a look at the design of the Hub and was a bit surprised at how light it was and the material used. I reckon the Hubs on my little zook look stronger.... definitely heavier in weight.

Do these FW Hubs stand up to the punishment that people give to them, especially when a Autolocker is installed?

It was good to see that it's easy to adjust the wheel bearing on these D22's... similar to the Zooks :)

While I was at it, I have been noticing a bit of noise coming from what sounds like the rear Diff when turning corners.... after talking to a few people I know in the auto industry, I thought I would try their advice 1st b4 spending any BIG $$. I changed the rear Diff oil with some LUCAS Full Synethic 75/140 Gear Oil and to my suprise.... noise appears to have gone..... is this a common problem that happens when the rear diff oil gets a bit old? (I don't know when the previous owner had changed the oil b4)

My hubs are fine and they cop a fair flogging. I have an auto locker (only for last few months) but have not had any issues yet.

The D21 hub is of very similar design. I've had one let go. But it was buggered before I bought the car.

not sure about the hubs rob, but the diff oil noise is a common thing, mine was the same when i bought it at 148xxxkm! changed the oil = no more noise.

bryan

My father has an early D22 - 1998 I think. He is just replacing the hubs now cause one is slipping under load (eg up steep slope in low range). The vehicle hs been worked hard in its life and has done a lot of 4wding. It now has just over 300,000km on the clock.

my diff did the same thing because it didnt have LSD oil, replaced it and noise went away

Rear Diff noise still after replacing oil?

not sure about the hubs rob, but the diff oil noise is a common thing, mine was the same when i bought it at 148xxxkm! changed the oil = no more noise.

bryan

After driving it a couple of days, I find the rear diff noise is still there until the oil heats up, then the noise appears to disappear..... Is that a common thing with everyone ?
The oil grade that I used was a 75/140

Latest posts

Back