Dissapointed - only 40mm lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
I just finished installing Ironman suspension gear on my 2002 ST-R. New shockies, new leaves and stock torsion bars. In the end all I got was 40mm in the rear. I got 10mm from the new front shocks, then matched the back by winding the stock torsion bars up 30mm.

Now considering the stock shockies were totally shagged and the leaves just as old, I was expecting 50mm easy...as they claim 50mm above standard. Should I be dissapointed? There were 3 levels of springs - Comfort, Performance and HD. Should I have gone HD rear leaves instead of Performance? Looking at the new leaves they only have slightly more curve than the stock ones did. I'd imagine that would change over time also.

Now I'm not a hard core 4x4er, and I'm more than impressed with the change in ride achieved. It's just part of me feels let down by missing that measly 10mm!!

What do you's think?
Guido

You can't get lift (not even 10mm) from changing shock absorbers. Give the car a bounce to settle the suspension after you've been working on it and you'll find shocks have changed nothing in the ride height department.

Cars from factory have +/- 20mm variation in ride height. Expect the same from Ironman's suspension products.

You should go HD if you often carry heavy loads in the tray (IE sparkies, etc). If not, you'll just get a shit ride out of it.

Glad to hear you're happy with the ride, though.

Mate don't feel to bad about the 10mm, I only have 35mm worth of lift in the front which has given me somewhere around 300mm of clearance to the sump cover. This will increase when I put some new tyres on. One of the local tracks I drive is becomming heavily rutted and clearance hasn't become an issue..............yet!

Well thanks heaps guys, that makes me feel better.

Thanks Pro-Nav, I understand that 10mm I gained after installing the front shockes was just from jacking the front end. It fell back down after going for a quick drive, and adjusted the torsons to match the rear.

So there you go...2inch lift kit doesn't mean 2inch lift!! But like I said earlier, the ride change has been huge and is more important to me than the lift.

Guido

I have the same lift in my D22. Ironman actually list it as a 40mm lift. Every car is different and you will have to allow for the suspension to settle in.

Joelus, you are correct. 40mm above standard is what they state. I guess the common term 2" lift threw me off, plus the fact my ute is 7yr old I assumed there was a heap of sag happening.

Anyway, it's all good. The front has dropped a bit over the last 2 days so I'll need another couple of turns of the torsion bars. Alternatively the stock bars are not up to standard. I'll have to wait and see over time I guess.

Guido

guido. when ytou install new springs they take a while to settle down.
that's why they would have gone down a bit.
wined the torsion bars up more to get more lift from the front.

I just finished installing Ironman suspension gear on my 2002 ST-R. New shockies, new leaves and stock torsion bars. In the end all I got was 40mm in the rear. I got 10mm from the new front shocks, then matched the back by winding the stock torsion bars up 30mm.

Now considering the stock shockies were totally shagged and the leaves just as old, I was expecting 50mm easy...as they claim 50mm above standard. Should I be dissapointed? There were 3 levels of springs - Comfort, Performance and HD. Should I have gone HD rear leaves instead of Performance? Looking at the new leaves they only have slightly more curve than the stock ones did. I'd imagine that would change over time also.

Now I'm not a hard core 4x4er, and I'm more than impressed with the change in ride achieved. It's just part of me feels let down by missing that measly 10mm!!

What do you's think?
Guido
i would be happy ~!!!!! as 40mm max lift at front, to achieve a 10mm bump stop clearance is normal .... you can go higher ,and cut down the bump rubber , but why ??? the rear you can have a 200mm lift ,as the rear is leaf spring.... BUT WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND wants to drive a 4x4 ,where the front is lower than the rear, looks shit ..... so 40mm all round,, i would be happy.... if you are trying to achieve a monster lift,, go and buy a patrol or something with springs on all 4 corners and a solid axle across the front ,,,,,:devil::devil:

i would be happy ~!!!!! as 40mm max lift at front, to achieve a 10mm bump stop clearance is normal .... you can go higher ,and cut down the bump rubber , but why ??? the rear you can have a 200mm lift ,as the rear is leaf spring.... BUT WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND wants to drive a 4x4 ,where the front is lower than the rear, looks shit ..... so 40mm all round,, i would be happy.... if you are trying to achieve a monster lift,, go and buy a patrol or something with springs on all 4 corners and a solid axle across the front ,,,,,:devil::devil:

Did you check the date of the OP?

Not much point giving advice now.

There does seem to be a few posts of bitchiness or knowitallness, but then maybe he/she is really that talented.

Fourfoot64 is just being a dick trolling through old threads. Looks like another we got another Fez!

Maybe ignorance is the best approach, no return comments means "newFez" doesn't get to feed anymore.

Oh I'm not stopping you Krankin, you've earned the award and you deserve to be proud but upstarts introduced to this internet thing when they walked in Hardly Normal, saw bright flashing lights on a screen and were talked into paying $2000 for a $500 computer, don't seem to understand that awards need to be achieved not just handed out for lack of knowledge and the ability to talk someone else into typing their brain farts.

Did you check the date of the OP?

Not much point giving advice now.

not advice for him back then but for future advice for people gettig tricked into thinking they are getting a 2" 50mm lift when in fact its only going to be 40mm brand new with it sagging later in life :devil::devil:

Latest posts

Back