GQ Patrol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laith

Reaction score
I have been asked if I would concider a swap of my VTR firestorm for a early GQ patrol.

I havnt seen it yet.

Its a 4.2 diesel supposedly in fair condition with a 2" lift.

I know GQ's are supposed to be great offroad but what worries me is how the 4.2 will go. Anyone have any experience?

It would be cool to have a weekend warrior that I wouldnt mind having a real go in. (wouldnt matter if it got banged up).

The only thing to be concerned about the 4.2 diesel is the Ks on it and if it has had the oil changed every 5,000ks, if it's a 4.2 diesel with no turbo, it is probably good for 800,000-1,000,000ks before being completely rooted, if it has a turbo it's good for at least half of that.

Trust me, the Nissan 4.2 diesel is the best engine they have made ever in my opinion, as well as many others. From what I've read the 4.2 started life in the 60s pushing buses round, pushing round 2 ton of 4x4 is relatively easy in comparison.

what shonky said. if its been serviced regularly itll just keep going.

Its a non turbo model.

Not sure on service history. The guy who owns it now is a mechanic so he should know the importance of oil changes.

Ok so reliable but I bet they are slow though eh?

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Hehe, yeah they are slow, it's probably why they last, but out in the tough stuff you will love the low down torque, they kill the 3.0 that respect. My old man has the 4.2 turbo, and I love the way you can drive the thing round below 1500rpm all day long where there is next to no boost just using the torque to do all the work.

I will second Shonky's post's.

Before mid 1993 are the strongest TD42's, TD42's went abit softer till the factory TD42T in the GU's. Then Nissan pulled the bullet proof piston's and rods out of storage. In other words the earlier motors can take more boost.

Down low torque is where they excel. Kills my ZD30 off road, my other mates QD32 is up there with the TD42's aswell.

Whats your bike worth.

Look up OLDMAV's posts on Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

Dave.

Do it mate, I've got an 89 GQ diesel and its turboed. Not that slow at all and with the 5" springs and 2" body lift its pretty much a matter of point it at a hill and let the torque do the work. In fact I don't remember ever being bogged in this vehicle. Don't be mistaken in thinking it will be a cheap basher though because it won't take long for the inevitable bigger tyres, locker etc that you must have to make it that little bit more capable. I still reckon do it. Can't wait to get mine back on the road.

Thanks for the reply Jon.

Sounds like I should go have a look at this thing.

Dave, my bike is probably only worth about $5k.

The guy is gona bring it around hopefully one day this week for me to have a look at.

Im not sure now if I should just sell the bike for $4k to $5k and buy stuff for me Nav. What could/should I get?

What other 4by could I get for that money?

Laith said:
Im not sure now if I should just sell the bike for $4k to $5k and buy stuff for me Nav. What could/should I get?

Only you can answer that, depends what you want from your Nav, if you are finding the Nav isn't up to what you want to do off road, grab the trol, if it is up to it and you can't see yourself going all out in the future put the money into the Nav.

What other 4by could I get for that money?
At the end of the day I don't think there is one, to get the same bullet proof drive train you gotta go look at a 40 or 60 series Cruiser, both of which will have just about rusted away, but then you loose the coil sprung suspension.

Laith I was only thinking this morning wonder what Laith did with the GQ.

As for the bike, my brother and I went and picked up his new bike yesterday afternoon.

He got a brand GSXR1000, blue and white one.

GSX-R1000 - Supersport - Road - Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia

He wanted to ride it home but it was bucketing down on the way to Singleton to pick it up. So we brought it home in the trailer. I think he was pissed because on the way back with the bike there was no rain at all. He didn't take his riding gear up because it was raining before.

Bloody nice bike, he wont let me ride it as I have only riden trail bikes and small roadbikes. Id prefer not to anyway as the fairings are a fortune to replace etc.

You may regret selling the bike.

Dave.

Thanks for the replies guys.

You make a lot of sense Shonky. In reality the limiting factor with what my Nav can do is more so me than it. If anything I just figured a shitter would be good to have a real go without being worried about hurting my Navara.

Could use the money to get a chip and one of the new lockers. That would be cool.

Ill have a look at the GQ first and then hopefully a decision will be a bit easier.

Dave I hardly ride the bike anymore. Ive grown up a bit in the past few years and am worried about losing my licence or busting myself up. (cop cars are way faster now days). I cant be trusted on it. Im always chucking wheelies ect so try not to ride it often.

I can only imagine how your brothers new GSXR would go. I think mines fast but it would not even be in the same league. Cop cars probably dont seem as fast to your brother :18:

I quiet like the GQs. My mate has a SWB Safari Import and that is a good banger. the only problem with the 4.2s is they are expensive to run.

Thanks for the replies guys.

You make a lot of sense Shonky. In reality the limiting factor with what my Nav can do is more so me than it. If anything I just figured a shitter would be good to have a real go without being worried about hurting my Navara.

If you are the limiting factor at this stage I'd keep playing with the Nav, you'll be pretty surprised by what they are capable of when driven with the limitations of the IFS front in mind, every time I go out my Nav surprises me at what it will do.

If you are the limiting factor at this stage I'd keep playing with the Nav, you'll be pretty surprised by what they are capable of when driven with the limitations of the IFS front in mind, every time I go out my Nav surprises me at what it will do.

Thats a fair call, the Nav is pretty suprising for an IFS rig. I think even at the low purchase price you would still eventually probably want to fit lockers, lift it, big tyres. There is an extra 5 grand right there. In saying that I am always fairly cautious when driving the Navara, especially with the front diff weaknesses. In the Patrol I drive like a maniac and am reasonably confident that it can take it, yeah I've bent a few bits and pieces but its all relatively cheap to repair. Don't forget you'll have the extra expense of more rego and insurance to deal with too. Good luck.

The bloke brought the Patrol around to my place today. Its a 87 model.

Goto say I was surprised how well the 4.2D go's. Mechanicly it seems good. There are some minor rust spots but nothing bad.

Quite a few rattles but nothing that cant be sorted I guess.

It has a bench type seat on the passengers side front. :confused: What is the go with that??

Its got 11 months rego.

It has a lift kit of some kind im told (XGS Shocks) but the origional front springs were put back in as the lifted ones were to soft. Those raised front springs come with it.

Not sure what to do. :31:

Attachments

• GQ4.jpg
    GQ4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 189
  • GQ3.jpg
    GQ3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 51
87 I thought GQ's first came out in 1988. Learn something new everyday.

Bench seat, Is it a DX ?

Looks like a nice truck.

If you dont buy it, pass my details on. Its tempting as long as its in good nick mechanically wise.

Dave.

You know Dave I thought the same thing in regards to year. Makes me wonder whats going on.

Engine has done nearly 500k. Seems to run good though.

500,000km's is alot of km's. Its tidy but is probably gonna need bushes put through it, body mounts, maybe engine mounts down the track, gearbox mounts down the track.

Think about it for a while. If it was me, Id sell the bike privately and buy a GQ with 250,000km's on the clock.

Good luck.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back