Can I weld plates on a d22 chassis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would have warning signs if it where....there is nothing i've seen in the manauls discouraging it, so feel free to weld

I thought I'd read somewhere that you can weld chassis rails parallel to the chassis itself (longitudinally) but you are never allowed to cross the top or bottom sideways.

I'm not sure if that's in an ADR or not but it makes considerable sense, as heat-treating (which is what welding will do) it will weaken it and could cause it to bend.

How do others fit their rock sliders to the chassis - do they bolt them on, clamp them or weld?

On 4wd tv i saw the guys from "BROWN DAVIS" install a set of sliders by welding plates on, i have also seen footage of the guys from "MACQUARIE 4x4" doing the same thing.
Thats a part of the reason i wasnt worried about welding the plates on for my sliders on that SCOTTY made for me.

From what i have seen theye clamp them with two plates and four bolts or make a c section to slide the chassy inand bolt the open end. Try serching them on hear and you will find some pics to have a look at.

From what i have seen theye clamp them with two plates and four bolts or make a c section to slide the chassy inand bolt the open end. Try serching them on hear and you will find some pics to have a look at.

Thats not so easy on some makes, such as the D40 because the fuel,brake and some power lines are routed along the chassis.

If u weld on your chaccy it WILL bend... as soon as u put that kind of heat into steel it distorts because it releases and adds stresses to the steel. Seen it happen many times.

If u weld on your chaccy it WILL bend... as soon as u put that kind of heat into steel it distorts because it releases and adds stresses to the steel. Seen it happen many times.

done heaps of welding on my HR for the V8 conversionand many others.....20years later..no bending, no breaks no sags, same as the day i had it done.

Yes you can but you need to heat the chassis first with an oxy so as you just get some blueing of the steel then weld the brackets so that the 2 pieces of steel cool at the same rate to avoid metal fatigue or the integrity in the strength of the steel. D22 sliders we use the clamp on type slider. The D40's we weld on because of the issue with brake and fuel lines.

Im still pmsl about this one!! its GOLD :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Krankin said:
done heaps of welding on my HR for the V8 conversionand many others.....20years later..no bending, no breaks no sags, same as the day i had it done.

It WILL bend. Don't lie. Dave said it will

If i can buy that piece of shite patrol from work cheap, I am going to weld the chassis, grind it, paint it and get a roadworthy

Back