Thai D40ST 4LO 4th surging/lunging

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum/forum scene.
Has anyone heard of or experienced their car surging/lunging forward while trying to maintain revs in 4LO 4th gear only? Rev range I tested to be a problem was anywhere between 2 and 3000 rpm. Should also note: dual mass flywheel replaced under warranty has made no difference.

I have a 2010 ST and just noticed this same thing a few days ago on a track that required low range as it was steep,rutty and rocky and 4th low would have been perfect in some smoother parts except for the surging! I have no idea as yet will do some more research and hopefully some one else may have an idea!

I'd be keen to know if you take it to a dealer, what their response is. I'm in Metro Melbourne, outer east, hopefully we don't go to the same dealer.

my 2010 ST does the same thing, i mentioned it to the dealer last service and they reckon they couldnt get it to do it. might go and take them for a drive to show them. i dont normally use 4th gear in low i put it back into high range before then, but it still shouldnt surge like that . interested to find out what the problem is.
cheers
geoff

wouldnt it be better to be in high range than 4low? i only use low range for 1st and 2nd

I wouldn't usually use low range 4th but in this instance on the particular terrain i was on found 2nd and 3rd low to be doing really well but just going into 4th in certain parts as stopping and changing to 4 high wouldn't have made sense but yes next time i'm at a dealer i will ask about it. My 4wd's in the past being a Diesel Surf and a Hilux v6 never did this. Ill play around with it on some flat off road in the next few days.

Another thing i just thought of - what size tyres are you running? Could this alter the ratios for that gear therefore requiring more

I was playing around with this and mine does the same thing, BUT if you are hard on the gas it doesnt... SO if you do find the need to be in 4th low just stand on the peddle, if not go back to High range.
Personally i just dont use 4th low, and dont normally need to.

for 150 - 250m of relatively easy terrain between nightmare hills it is a hassle stopping twice, once back to high range, once back to low range. Surely this is a option for 21st century motorists!

Sorry- more revs? Im running 265/75/16s. Also i'm in Brisbane.

Same size tyres as you. Bigger than original. Obviously this alters your speed but as long as all tyres are the same size and relatively similar pressures, the car should only have slightly slower revs for the same speeds. Otherwise I fail to see any reason why the car would do that as a result of a slightly increased rolling radius. And only in 4th gear? Makes no sense!!! This wasn't in the brochure! We need answers from Nissan!

Yeah it does seem strange....... BUT if its only a couple of hundred meters then just stay in third and go a few kph slower with a few extra revs

Yeah it does seem strange....... BUT if its only a couple of hundred meters then just stay in third and go a few kph slower with a few extra revs

Yeah that is an option, but I bought a new car. I wanna use 4LO 4th gear. I reckon I should be able to without problems. Only fair Nissan address it and fix them all I reckon. I would love to know if there are any without this problem!

OK so I'm taking this all the way with Nissan and am in the process of seeking legal advice for a course of action. Stay tuned

Latest posts

Back