15" vs 17" Rims & the right offsets??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey Guys.....

I was digging through a pile of stuff in my shed the other day and came across and old 6-stud 15" rim. For the hell of it, I thought I'd try and see if it would fit onto the Navara as I know that 15" tyres are usually a lot cheaper than the 16"'s..... To my surprise, the rim did fit,,,, then the mind went racing as to the various tyre possiblities....
I checked the 15" rim offset and it was about -14mm offset. The downside is at this offset I reckon if I had a tyre fitted to the rim that it would stick out about 25mm or so.... not really good in keeping the Boys in Blue away....

So I did a bit of a search on here and found that quite a few people are running 15" rims and that it mainly comes down to the Offset.
From what I've read, u need a "negative" offset or at least a "Zero" offset. Anything 'Positive" offset and u run the chances of it hitting the Caliper....

Question-1: How close is TOO close to the Brake Caliper.... 1mm ? What is the minimum that u should be wanting?

Question-2: What other sort of problems (ie: rubbing) are experienced with running 15" rims??

Now, I know 15" Tyres are cheaper, etc, but I do have a spare set of 17" rims for our Prado that will also fit onto the Navara, so I was thinking that I should just save up for a good set of M/T's in a 17" size and that way it gives me the flexibility to put them on either vehicle if required.... This sounded logical but on the other hand, I have to ask myself how many times am I really going to want to put them on the Prado as it's running a good Brdgestone A/T pattern tyre which is good for touring, etc....I'm more likely to use the Navara in situations where the M/T's will come in handy....
Then there's the $$ of 17" tyres that will fit both vehicles verses having a set that only fits the Navara??

What's people's experiences, etc??

rob

I would also like to know about the 15 inch deal here.
So im bumping this up for others to see.

Latest posts

Back