Steps to remove 4cylinder d21 engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johking

Reaction score
i have never removed an engine before and need to swap out a 4cylinder with a bad bearing from my 92 nissan truck. I have gotten as far as removing bumper, battery and radiator and dont wanna go much more farther without the help of a professional. working solo so if anything requires extra set of hands lemme know

I've done it plenty of times before, but I don't really know what to tell you... As things get in the way, unbolt them... Is it a 4x2 or 4x4? Not sure about the 4x2 as when I did one of those I had the body off it, but with the 4x4 you have to undo the transmission before the engine will come out, they can't come out as a pair. You can leave the transmission in the truck and remove the engine if you hold your tongue in the right spot, just be careful not to bend the clutch spring fingers. If you drop the front diff it's a piece of piss, but that's an involved job. How are you lifting it? The purpose built cranes are great, quite cheap and have a million other uses. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help you out.

As Dion said. Remove all the extra bits like alternator, power steering etc and make as much room as possible. If you've got A/C, unbolt it and tie it to the side and out of the way - no need to undo the hoses. You will need to support the gearbox, otherwise you'll have trouble getting the bolts out between the engine and gearbox. It's much easier with the box out, but that's got its own issues.

If it is a 4wd, the difficult part is actually lifting it out as there is bugger all room between the sump and front diff. I've only pulled two engines, first one was the Z24 - just leave yourself plenty of time and don't rush it. I did it by myself, with a block and tackle, and probably spent about a week of a couple of hours a night. I've since bought an engine crane from supacheap :)

ok im still no closer to removing engine im stuck with all the wires attached all over the place and also having prob getting fan unbolted as well... Will i need to undo fan or will it stay attached to motor? Once i get net at my new place ima upload pix i been taking along the way so i can put my baby bak together and that mite be bigger help

ok im still no closer to removing engine im stuck with all the wires attached all over the place and also having prob getting fan unbolted as well... Will i need to undo fan or will it stay attached to motor? Once i get net at my new place ima upload pix i been taking along the way so i can put my baby bak together and that mite be bigger help

Unplug the wires, they only go back together one way. I usually unbolt the fan but it's only necessary to remove the fan to get the shroud off, you can pull the motor with the fan there if the shroud is already out.

I still label the wires when I pull them off, just to be certain, although Dion is right, there's usually only one way to put them back on.

Latest posts

Back