no speedo. after clutch replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40ryan

Reaction score
would of put this in the electrical section but hear me out.

ok so just had clutch replaced hd clutch single mass flywheel.

now the speddo and odometre doesn't work at all and after a while the 4wd light comes on.

turn car off. and back on. 4wd light dissapears and i am able to engage 4low and 4h but still no speedo or odometre.

went for a decent drive in 4low and 4wd light didnt come on.

could this possibly be the plug (where is it? mechanic said all the connections were full of mud when he took them off.) cars going back in, in a couple of weeks to get fixed but would be good to know if i can fix it now as i read that the car may go into limp mode??? mechanic said he bridged a heap ofstuff out to try see what was going on but nothing?

Last edited:
would of put this in the electrical section but hear me out.

ok so just had clutch replaced hd clutch single mass flywheel.

now the speddo and odometre doesn't work at all and after a while the 4wd light comes on.

turn car off. and back on. 4wd light dissapears and i am able to engage 4low and 4h but still no speedo or odometre.

went for a decent drive in 4low and 4wd light didnt come on.

could this possibly be the plug (where is it? mechanic said all the connections were full of mud when he took them off.) cars going back in, in a couple of weeks to get fixed but would be good to know if i can fix it now as i read that the car may go into limp mode??? mechanic said he bridged a heap ofstuff out to try see what was going on but nothing?

that sux dude would have no idea but how doe sur clutch feel

The speedo gets its feed from the 4 ABS sensors so in theory the clutch replacement shouldnt affect it in theory.
You could try disconnecting the battery to give everything a full reset (just remember to find the security code for the radio )

+1 on the ABS ... and given the errors you're getting (4WD flashing, also linked to the ABS sensors) I'd suggest that they've probably unplugged the ABS sensors. There may be a relay or fuse that's blown.

Check that your tail lights work. If they do, it could be either the 30A or 40A fuses (K and L) in the "Fuse and Fusible Link Box" which is located behind (looking from the front) of the starter battery.

do all 40's have abs, cause im pretty sure mine doesnt have it???
also checked fuses and none are blown

Last edited:
if you pop the hood and have a look behind the airbox, or in between the airbox and the fire wall, you should see a big ally block with hard pipes coming out of the top, that is the ABS control unit. If there is no box then i guess you dont have ABS.
Although from what i know, all D40's come with ABS, BUT i could be wrong like i have been before.

Last edited:
Have a look on your transfer case and gear bog mate and make sure all of your plugs are connected. It might pay to get some electrical contact spray and clean the plugs out if he said they were full of mud. Hope this helps.

Have a look on your transfer case and gear bog mate and make sure all of your plugs are connected. It might pay to get some electrical contact spray and clean the plugs out if he said they were full of mud. Hope this helps.

yeh mate was planning on doing that this weekend.

The manual indicates that they were in the cars from 2005 onwards.

Doesn't necessarily mean for Australian stock. Because of the time zone differences, Australian Navaras are generally about 3-5 years behind what Europeans get.

Going by the little block with the pipes coming from
It , it has abs its never seemed to work before/been an issue.

Where would I find the speedo sensor. Can't seem to find any pics.

The "speedo sensor" is the ABS unit itself.

The ECU takes the best average of the inputs from the 4 ABS sensors. Because they're rotating and there's like 50 sensor pings per revolution, it's pretty easy to work out how fast the vehicle is going. I assume it will ignore one stopped wheel when 3 others are turning at similar rates and I assume it will ignore one fast-spinning wheel too.

I think (this would make sense, anyway) that it removes any extreme figure, averages the remainder and uses that as the vehicle speed.

So, there's no "speedo sensor". This is why we're wondering if your ABS unit has been unplugged - because the ABS unit is responsible for speed measurement, and for determining whether or not you can go into 4WD mode.

Ok well back to the abs found what seems to be the abs fuse, box behind battery. Fuse is fine but there's only one pin going into the box when removing the pin , is anyone able to tell me where the abs system turns from mechanical into electrical?

couple pic's cant seem to see an abs unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 65
It's got me wondering. The manual (which clearly states it's for 2005+ models) doesn't mention a non-ABS braking system.

It's entirely possible that in 2008 Nissan thought we were too primitive to understand what ABS was for and thus didn't install it for vehicles heading this way.

If that's the case, then the speedo will be read by a revolution sensor on the gearbox. It's an electronic thing, not a cable. Should be a plug somewhere on the top of the gearbox. The plugs at the side (auto) are for the TCM inside.

I looked on the website and all trucks shown with ABS. I checked the info sheets I had at hiome for the 06,06 models and all those had ABS as well.
Musta been a few trucks snuck in without it
Nissan UK doesnt list a non ABS model nor does Nissan US.

Some models show the abs unit next to the master cylinder. look at the rear axel you should see wires going to each side of the axel on the front side. if not no abs... How is the clutch anyway, have you got any gear chatter or vibration like i did when in changed over to single mass flywheel?

Latest posts

Back